• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When Does a Truck get Overhauled?

brasco

Does anyone here know why some trucks get rebuilt / overhauled? Is it becuase they were wrecked or something? Were they rusted out? I'm just trying to figure out the reason why a truck would need to be rebuilt at 15,000 miles or so. Do they they just spray some paint on and replace anything that is broken?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And we have to overhaul the MV BEFORE we surplus it , would not want the public to think we drive around in junk vehicles !

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because at the unit level, prescribed maintenance is not getting done, so vehicles get run into the ground and are then sent for rebuild.

dependable

My experience with GL overhauled or not equipment is mainly with generators. Seems when a piece of equipment needs major maintenance, it gets sent in for overhaul or reset. Some units get rebuilt and some are waiting to get rebuilt when the class of truck, machine or whatever gets surplussed out of system. That is why, for instance, there are some units(in a lot of older MEPs for example) with only a few hours & freshly re painted, and some with more hours look like they were used in field.

Usually the freshly reset ones are a better deal, but a fresh coat of paint is no guarantee of reliability, and some beat up looking, non reset equipment is good to go.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
A lot also depends on funding. I can remember at one point I was asked about rebuilding a certain model of trailer that was being replaced in the midst of the downsizing. "Someone" was pushing to have them rebuilt (probably some politician) and a certain person was able to get it shut down. I was amazed.

So politics that drives funding that drives contracts (to specific districts) that determines how many trucks on whatever time schedule and feeds the great industrial military

FlakShrapnel

The majority of MV trucks sit for long periods of time and it's the absolute worst thing to do to any vehicle. Surface rust sets in all internal parts: engine, axles, transmissions, and etc. The only method for the Military to guarantee reliable service and stay at the ready is to rebuild/overhaul key components based on time as well as the rare occasion of mileage. Engines are the most common rebuilds and the rest of the MV gets general service based on dates.

For example: Someone looking to buy a used passenger size 4x4 SUV should always ask how often the front end has been engaged in 4x4. Hoping the seller says a few time a year they use 4x4. Most often the average owner will never use it and most likely the surface rust on the gears above the oil level in the axle housing will flake off and eat up axle bearings fast. MV front axles are a little different and don't require as much attention based on design.

Typical vehicle owner's manual generally states change oil 3k - 7k or every 6 months.

FlakShrapnel

And do you think the military changes oil every 6 months or 3-7k miles?
No, I was using private vehicle manuals as a example of why the Military rebuild engines at low mileage..., because they don't keep maintenance up to manufacture's recommended standards after long periods of non-use.

If you allow any vehicle to sit for long periods of time and for whatever reason you start to run them daily without changing fluids they will crap out sooner compared to later. As for engines sitting for a long time regardless of mileage or last oil change the engine will require rebuild because cylinder walls and piston rings will produce surface rust over time. All engines accumulate moisture from unburnt fuel blow by and engine seals dry out and leak. Newer designed engines that use "O" rings are less likely have the same oil leaking issues after sitting.

FlakShrapnel

In general most buyers have good luck with drive train. Minor issues occur with batteries, 24V lights, CTIS, and tires. Rough ride on blacktop if tires are out-of-round. You can add 1/2 gallon of anti-freeze per tire for poor man tire balancing method.

Be very careful dealing with 2-piece rim tires under high pressure, extremely dangerous if you don't release air pressure before handling. You can have the batteries reconditioned if needed, but nonetheless you'll probably have to use a quality wicker charger if the MV sits for months. If you ever replace the batteries Optima Redtop for $200+ea is the best choice.

Can't use reverse in low range without risking transmission damage so skid-steer pulling logs is limited. Older M35 manual transmission 2-1/2ton MV would provide better log pulling in reverse skid-steer abilities in comparison. M925 advantages are ground clearance, traction, drivability, heaver load hauling, highway speed, and available parts.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
military uses oil sampling and testing to determine drain intervals from what I understood.
Use to but AOAP for wheeled vehicles went out quite a few years ago. I heard they are talking about bringing it back but don't think they have.

Now it is suppose to be whatever the Q, S or A service call for. Of course if a vehicle is in low use or storage, it might be awhile before it even moves.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In general most buyers have good luck with drive train. Minor issues occur with batteries, 24V lights, CTIS, and tires. Rough ride on blacktop if tires are out-of-round. You can add 1/2 gallon of anti-freeze per tire for poor man tire balancing method.

Be very careful dealing with 2-piece rim tires under high pressure, extremely dangerous if you don't release air pressure before handling. You can have the batteries reconditioned if needed, but nonetheless you'll probably have to use a quality wicker charger if the MV sits for months. If you ever replace the batteries Optima Redtop for $200+ea is the best choice.

Can't use reverse in low range without risking transmission damage so skid-steer pulling logs is limited. Older M35 manual transmission 2-1/2ton MV would provide better log pulling in reverse skid-steer abilities in comparison. M925 advantages are ground clearance, traction, drivability, heaver load hauling, highway speed, and available parts.
I wouldn't put anything in a tire with CTIS except air.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful. Inspect whatever you hope to own. Even that is tough because a lot of what the rebuild entails is nothing more than superficial. Sure, the motor looks new, but it is probably just a coat of paint (and probably not a rebuild). Check the data plate on the engine and you'll see that more often than not, they are the original motors. That probably explains why I had a high mile/high hour rebuilt M939 truck that had a valve tap. I actually have found more new motors in the rebuilt M939A0 and A1 trucks (NHC250s). Some on here have found new 6CTA motors, although I have not been as lucky. Some of the rebuild facilities tend to put out better "rebuilds" than others. RRAD...I have been very disappointed. Kansas Readiness Center...fairly satisfied (although I did have to track down a wiring problem that was blowing control boxes and alternators...thankfully, a friend helped track down the problem). There is also a Maine rebuild facility and I have seen some better stuff come out of there. I am very suspect of the rebuilt trucks having owned many (several are parked in a row in my yard right now). I have not gotten one that did not need work. I always used to figure an auction truck would need some attention, but the pretty rebuilds got my hopes up. No way I'm paying more for a "rebuilt' truck anymore. Caveat emptor.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilds of all military equipment has several factors...time and miles, but normally just time.
so if a unit high miles that is one trigger, but if a vehicle is X number years old, they go through a SLEP " service life extension program". It just depends ....many moons ago they came into my unit and did all the M35's.
in another unit they took all the HMMWV's....it was pretty much regardless of the miles at that time, just that all the trucks were 10yrs or older and had come up there original service life date.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks