• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When is someone going to bob a HET?

M920

I feel that it would truly be a shame to bob such a perfectly beautiful beast of a truck!!!!!!

But then...... I'm probably a little prejudice.....since this is my all time favored truck!.....well factory stock truck that is..... lol

Soni

fasttruck

M 911S are overwidth at the rear tires. m 1070 is standard width but the trailer that goes with it is overwidth as is the intended payload i.e. a m1 tank. Both tractor
and trailer have cramp steering and it is amazing where you can go with that compared to coventcially steered trailer trucks.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I feel that it would truly be a shame to bob such a perfectly beautiful beast of a truck!!!!!!

But then...... I'm probably a little prejudice.....since this is my all time favored truck!.....well factory stock truck that is..... lol

Soni
So when are you gonna get started on modding one now that the FEMTT is done?

m715mike

A couple of reactions...

Simply put, the OP just made me laugh. Which also made my wife look at me a bit funny. Never in my wildest dreams would I consider Bobbing a HET. I'm still working on a plan to convince my wife that we need to purchase one!!! That being said, if you Bob one, I want to see pictures and video! I'm happy to live vicariously through your adventure this time.

On a side note, I read this while dinner was cooking on the BBQ last night. As it turns out, I burned part of our dinner because I allowed myself to be distracted by a few SS threads. That is definitely not the way to win your wife's approval for buying a HET!!!

2nd edit: why Bob it? Why not remove the ramps and add a bed like a lot of people are doing with the 939 series truck tractors? Keep the 8x8 functionality and add a bed that you can load to the gills with 45000 lbs of stuff...
There was a HET on EBay recently with [I believe] a Deuce bed. Did anyone else see it?

I'd make a big rollback out of it.
I've had the same thought.

Bigger tires? The thing sits on 16.00s as it is. What is there that is bigger save for tractor tires or mining truck tires?
:ditto:

Jeepsinker

It you had a real smart machinist type fella, he might be able to make a set of replacement gears for the wheel end planetaries to get a higher ratio. That's one thought to make it more driver friendly. I don think you can just remove the planets and go direct drive. It would seem that any way you go would cost big money though.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It you had a real smart machinist type fella, he might be able to make a set of replacement gears for the wheel end planetaries to get a higher ratio. That's one thought to make it more driver friendly. I don think you can just remove the planets and go direct drive. It would seem that any way you go would cost big money though.
The differential ratio is 1.59:1, so I doubt it would even be able to move correctly.

KsM715

This summer while up in the Black Hills I saw one with a giant commercial dump bed installed on the back. (Never did have a chance to get a pic, wish I had)

HETvet

I would like to drop an 8V149 TT in to a HET, 7 speed allison with the auto gear splitters, and ether Air or electric lockers In all the axles. The cab would have to be modernized, the winches would have to go and the cab extended with a bed put on the back.

Hawssie

Does bobbing mean cutting one or two axles off the back? The Brits already use a one axle bobbed M1070 (3 axles as opposed to 4) and It actually does have taller and way wider tires, R24x21 tires. then the usual 16x20s. And the tow ratings appear to be the same as the 4 axle HET. Of course these are based on the new model HETS.

Attachments

HanksDeuce

Thanks for posting the 24R21 tire size Hawssie. I just spent a few minutes pondering what they would look like on my bobbed deuce. They are Michelin XZLs. I'd need to find 21" rims though. Not much to choose from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks