• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When starting, yell "FIRE IN THE HOLE"

colin455

When I used to drive Highway Tractors we had a few jokes we used to pull on each other. Unpopped popcorn down the stack was one. As he goes down the highway the popcorn heats up to the popping point and he spews popcorn for a couple of miles. A can of Coke down the stack was a hint you were being a d[ck and to smarten up. The can would rattle around for a while until it wore a hole in it and the coke burned off. Stinky and smokey. You are then left with a can rattling in your stack behind your head. Wouldn't go past bend, wouldn't blow out and non magnetic. Have to take off stack to get out. If you were a real jerk you got a tube of grease down your stack. WOW. Talk about smoke screen. One jerk thought he blew his motor and had it pulled apart by shop before the other guys could tell him. Not part of that one but still felt bad for him nonthless. :cookoo::cookoo::cookoo: Too much time, not enough intellectual exercise.

Texas Manny

This was real funny. I can see the cans flying across the neighbors yard hitting him in the back of the head when he bends down to pick up his newspaper.

Can't y'all install one of the stack flaps truckers use? I've seen them on trucks in the motor pools I serviced when I was in the Army up at Fort Hood.

Tom_Statt

Like I said, look for breather pipes for septic systems (Or whatever thoes pipes sticking out of the ground are for), they have 3 1/2 inch pipes with the perfect Aluminum rain caps (flappers). another bonus is around here they paint the pipes a flat green, and usually the cap gets painted green too. I do still have a few I saved from the scrap heap if anyone wants one.

Green_gator

Pawnshop, thanks for the heads up on the mermite inserts as I did not think of that. I have about two dozen of them sitting in my shop just looking for a good use. Even have one of the done up in 383 green. I found that the lids make great ashtrays for my friends who smoke.

dc3coyote

At work ,when we are starting on of mine after sitting for a while we call it "the ole Multi money shot" Usually they are parked near the reservists cars.
Also we hook a bungy cord to the coffee can and hook the other end to the mirror. It helps, kinda like playing tether ball with the side of your truck.

Last edited:

dittle

I just have a latex glove stetched over the end of mine. Flies oh about 6" or so and lands under the battery box. When I back the truck back in I know just where to look.

Hehe, a latex glove, that sure is funny :) I have to give that a try.

I use a rbf-tag and a soft ball as exhaust blocker. Doesn't fly very far and doesn't knock anyones brothers dog out when it accidentally (er...) gets a hit.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Use a stack cover, so's you don't blow s**t on RC's kid..."
at a air show after camping in the rain I gave a buddy's kid a four hour notice before cranking my 5ton and then a five minute and then a yell for a heads up .
well guess what he did not do :-(.
well the buddy had let the kid wear his old marine uniform and it got permanently stained :deadhorse:
I seem to have missed this thread the first time around.

For a kid, getting a warning, and understanding the warning are two different things! He thought he was far enough away from a starting truck, didn't realize it was going to spew enough black mist to choke an elephant.
And no, that crud did NOT wash out of my uniform.....

The boy was upset because I had trusted him enough to wear it at the show and it got ruined, he felt like he had let me down. But vat der hey, things happen.

Cheers

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to have missed this thread the first time around.

For a kid, getting a warning, and understanding the warning are two different things! He thought he was far enough away from a starting truck, didn't realize it was going to spew enough black mist to choke an elephant.
And no, that crud did NOT wash out of my uniform.....

The boy was upset because I had trusted him enough to wear it at the show and it got ruined, he felt like he had let me down. But vat der hey, things happen.

Cheers
RC:
You are a good-natured soul. This event shows that "boys will be boys" no matter what their age or "maturity". :beer:

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my truck it had a rotted J-pipe. Guess what my first realization was when I started the truck after a rain?

At least I see I'm in good company.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Fire Department that had The ARK before us had rerouted the exhaust under the cab so that the problem of heat off the stack wafting into the cab when fighting summertime brushfires would be eliminated .

We don't have the "blasting soot" problem. Instead we have the FAUX-SMOKING-TIRES appearance.......:shock:

Attachments

m816Buch

if my wife ever speaks to again , maybe she can tell you more things you need to know about the black goo that i covered her with in her nice just got home from church clothes..........MAN, i think she must know some foreign language cause i hadn't heard some of the phrases used

Mark2X2

Shot coffee cans many times with old John Deere G, don't think a deuce can match distance.
DavidB
My 550 Oliver stack is bent back just a smidge, so if your quick enough you can catch the can after start up.
My 653E John Deere exhaust has a short piece of 6" through the cowling. The exhaust pipe is centered blows through it, faces back when hauling on the low boy. So I made wood cover with some spring fingers to cover the hole & keep the turbo from spinning. It really smokes up the whole engine compartment when I forget to pull it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks