• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where are all the HMMWVs going?

6x6guy

I was talking to contractor at red river and according to him on average they are destroying a average of 10 to 15 units of up armored units a day - he stated there were literally hundreds of new units just upgraded with all new updated equipment -
The units were available to law enforcement agencies - and a couple of hundred were utilized for that program- and the remaining units have been in storage for over 2 years - and the decision was made to destroy them due to the fact nations friendly to the US were offered the same units years before the law enforcement agencies programs were available.
I also talked to a couple of high ranking Leos - the programs is or was offered the police departments- had a lot of strings
attached by the Feds - and a few departments declined the program because of the red tape.

The process of which the units are destroyed is of taking a large fork lift - driving into the side of the units destroying the engine, transmission and transfer case after a couple of good good hits- cutting the body in 3 places and taking off the new tire and rims and shearing both pieces in a large shear. As he would say not even a mirror or reflector would be usable after they get done with it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What are you two talking about? I haven't seen any political posts since the first warning? Did something get deleated and I missed it?
They were deleted in the hopes the discussion would remain about the vehicles. Not the current political scene.

tobyS

They were deleted in the hopes the discussion would remain about the vehicles. Not the current political scene.

Too bad....many current events should have open discussion by reasonable people. You make it clear that won't be allowed.

greenjeepster

**** that's depressing...
With how negative people seem to like to be over the current hmmwv sales I hope a lot of them get exported. then the Neg nellys will be crying in their Wheaties when they are all gone and they have to pay 50 or 75 K to get one and the rest of us got ours for a song.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad....many current events should have open discussion by reasonable people. You make it clear that won't be allowed.
1) It is the site owners choice that no political talk be allowed.

2) Sadly, the site is littered with unreasonable people as each and every political conversation has proven.

I'm certain that there are many places to have that open discussion.

tim292stro

Isn't that illegal?
Not if you have an export license and get the export approved... Even allies have these, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that military parts brokers are buying them as replacement vehicles for HMMWV that have been irreparably damaged, or using them in countries of our allies as parts trucks. Remember, "we MV people" are supposed to be getting these trucks after the military users, so I wouldn't feel bad about that.

What are you two talking about? I haven't seen any political posts since the first warning? Did something get deleated and I missed it?
I've seen this sometimes, when they've deleted posts they will post a reminder in it's place...

tobyS

One word started this political claim and it could be readily removed. There is nothing political about me believing export of Hummers is illegal.... either it is or is not.
Since they are offered to the public and most of us don't have export license, it's a reasonable line of conversation and has NOTHING to do with politics.

tim292stro

I take the blame on starting the political thing by mentioning ISIS in a poor attempt at humor. Exporting HMMWVs is not illegal or political if done with a license and government approval, and the point of the thread was attempting to discover where the units sold by GP have ended up. A few people have popped in on Steel Soldiers following GP auction ends, but their questions are usually met with a very stern repetition that they can never be used on-road, and most of those threads end there. My read on that is that either the new owner is going somewhere else to get their information, or they are in fact realizing that they made a mistake and hiding under a rock...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One word started this political claim and it could be readily removed. There is nothing political about me believing export of Hummers is illegal.... either it is or is not.
Since they are offered to the public and most of us don't have export license, it's a reasonable line of conversation and has NOTHING to do with politics.
You're correct, there's nothing political about the legal export of hummers. However, moving the discussion towards ISIS and politics in nature is. That's what was deleted.

Hopefully we're done with that part of the discussion? :deadhorse:

greenjeepster

I remember when moderators were less strict on political discussion, there is a very good reason why we are not allowed to go there now....I think it is a good policy because online walls come down and people don't care about throwing around insults.

I wonder if the off road status extends to exported trucks? I suspect that whoever mentioned that they are likely being used as parts inventory is correct though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks