• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where are yall buying Starters and Alternators from for the m1008 cucv

I have done some research Napa sells a 24volt starter via thier website along with alternators anyone have had any problems with Napa if so what were some of the issues im in need of all three so im curious Truck is now a nice yard ornament lol any help i would be greatful Thanks guys and girls ahead of time ;)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a thread already covering these issues, it would be better to continue posting on that thread. Starting a new thread just spreads your info all around and nobody knows what you have done or why you want what you want.

If you have a thread already covering these issues, it would be better to continue posting on that thread. Starting a new thread just spreads your info all around and nobody knows what you have done or why you want what you want.

Doghead i deleted that thread and wrote this one due to the fact i never got a straight answer from anyone and the fact that my first post made your head spin im asking a simple question with all do respect thats why i redid the thread so if no one wants to give me any info then thats thier progrotive i understand if that the case i will go from here and do some more research on my own as i might use the site for refrence purposes but due to a few circum stance i probably wont post anymore thanks to all who have answered my questions straight out all of u know who u are

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't notice you deleted your other thread.

I know you may be in a hurry to solve your issues but, sometimes it takes a few days and several posts, to get the answers your looking for.

I think I recall asking a few questions on that other thread, and I don't remember if you answered them.

Without remembering your circumstance, I would suggest rebuilding the old starter and alternators locally. There are dozens of starter and alternatormthreads in the CUCV forum. Lots of good info.

You might try going directly to the CUCV forum and start reading the whole forum. After that, you can answer everyone else's questions!

Last edited:
Well i would ask for the name of the buisness but i gotta have something soon so the place who can rebuild the alts said he wanted $145 each to rebuild those i just got a text of another buisness close by im gonna call tommrow and see if they will give me a better deall on all three

I didn't notice you deleted your other thread.

I know you may be in a hurry to solve your issues but, sometimes it takes a few days and several posts, to get the answers your looking for.

I think I recall asking a few questions on that other thread, and I don't remember if you answered them.

Without remembering your circumstance, I would suggest rebuilding the old starter locally. There are dozens of starter threads in the CUCV forum. Lots of good info.

You might try going directly to the CUCV forum and start reading the whole forum. After that, you can answer everyone else's questions!

Ok i posted the first thread on thursday i have been reading threads since then and havent found one answer to anything i was after my CUCV is sitting in my driveway dead in the water i tried to explain my delimma the first time in the post but to no avail all i got was the smart comment that it made your head spin and u had no answer for it and that i was gonna get the award for the longest sentence run on award as i recall i got no answer to any question i posted and a few other smart remarks so i figured posting this one would and should be the simplest thing all do respect its been 4 days i checked everything that was suggested along with tms so i followed the yellow brick road to a tee

WITH THAT BEING SAID I HAVE NOTHIN ELSE TO SAY

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last post in your other thread, was mine. I posted this,
I don't even understand what your issues are! Is your starter bad, or are your batteries dead? Did you have charging troubles?

You never answered , instead you deleted your post and posted this thread.

I don't say this to criticize you personally, but seriously, reading and understanding your posts with no capitalization and no sentence structure, is very difficult to understand. You have not even explained what your problem is.

We even have a rule here about using proper grammar. I try not to point it out too often as it seems to make people mad. If we cannot understand what you are asking, then we cannot help you.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suggest if you replace your alternators, test the new ones yourself, and confirm that you do indeed have an isolated ground on them(before installing them). Only the Passenger side alternator needs to be isolated ground.

Several people have purchased starters from DBelectric, on ebay. They are a reputable seller. Be sure to use a support brace on the motor end of the starter. New starter bolts are recommended also. I would also check your gear clearance, if you install a replacement starter.

My personal preference is to rebuild the originals. I rebuild them myself.

I would suggest if you replace your alternators, test the new ones yourself, and confirm that you do indeed have an isolated ground on them(before installing them). Only the Passenger side alternator needs to be isolated ground.

Several people have purchased starters from DBelectric, on ebay. They are a reputable seller. Be sure to use a support brace on the motor end of the starter. New starter bolts are recommended also. I would also check your gear clearance, if you install a replacement starter.

My personal preference is to rebuild the originals. I rebuild them myself.

on the isolated ground i thought the alternators could be swapped to left to right and back so wouldnt that require them both to have isolated grounds im a newbie just my 2cents lol

what can i use for the brace as thier isnt one on the truck i have heard about the fact the starter likes to try to twist due to the torque while trying to crank which might explain some of the problem now that i think about it not real happy about spending money at this point but i dont have a choice ill try to go on ebay to check out db electric thanks for the info dog head :]

Doghead im not yet to the point of rebuilding them but i guess sooner or later im gonna have to learn lol

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct about them BOTH being isolated ground, as the truck was built. This was done so there was only one part needed to keep in inventory. But in reality, you only need to have an isolated ground on the passenger side.

I think the stock starter brace is still available through GM. I have never needed to replace one. I know the part number has been posted before.

I think some people have made a new brace.

I am lucky, I have a good local rebuilder and I also rebuild my own.

I don't know what your problems are, but before you replace anything, I would try to follow the TM troubleshooting section(-20 I think).

Any "new to you" CUCV probably will need the alts rebuilt. They seem to die, once we get them and use them again. I have rebuilt both of mine, about 2 years ago, and they are doing well.

One more thing, search for the "doghead relay modification" and consider doing it. (best results for searching are, use the "advanced search", and use a couple key words, then select the correct forum to search, then search.

Last edited:

91W350

You might have your old alternators tested before you start throwing new alternators and a starter at your truck. It could easily be a bad cable, only takes 1 and you have many involved, a bad connection, a dead cell in one battery etc.... You never said what exactly the problem is. You may have all three rebuilt or bought new, get them installed and still have your problem.

Do your head lights come on and stay bright? Have you checked anything yet? Are your alternator belts or belt slipping? Are you sure you have a good ground, it will be dead in the water if it is not grounded. When it ran, were any of the Generator lights on? Does the starter spin the engine at all, any clicking noises?

I never bought a new starter or alternator for any of my CUCVs, I preferred to have the one that fit right and worked before rebuilt.

CUCV85

you mean doghead starter relay modification

You are correct about them BOTH being isolated ground, as the truck was built. This was done so there was only one part needed to keep in inventory. But in reality, you only need to have an isolated ground on the passenger side.

I think the stock starter brace is still available through GM. I have never needed to replace one. I know the part number has been posted before.

I think some people have made a new brace.

I am lucky, I have a good local rebuilder and I also rebuild my own.

I don't know what your problems are, but before you replace anything, I would try to follow the TM troubleshooting section(-20 I think).

Any "new to you" CUCV probably will need the alts rebuilt. They seem to die, once we get them and use them again. I have rebuilt both of mine, about 2 years ago, and they are doing well.

One more thing, search for the "dogged relay modification" and consider doing it. (best results for searching are, use the "advanced search", and use a couple key words, then select the correct forum to search, then search.[/QU
"doghead relay modification"

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops, I misspelled my own name! I fixed it in my post above!

Thanks

1stSarge

Oops, I misspelled my own name! I fixed it in my post above!

Thanks
You just made me spray coffee all over my monitor....
:lol:

SouthernSteel, It really is easy to tear into and repair/rebuild both alternators and starters. There are very few things that go wrong with them that cant be fixed by a guy with a multimeter and a ¼" drive socket set.

Find an old junk alternator or starter laying around, and tear it apart and see how it works, get online and research the individual parts, put it back together, maybe even take photos of your progress so you know how things go back together. I believe this will assist you in gaining the confidence to do this stuff yourself.

I cannot comment on the starters or alternators from NAPA or anyplace else, in my 25 years of truck owning, I have never purchased one.

---John
(resident moral booster)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks