• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where can i get paint?

TMNT

Thanks TMNT for the name of the thinning/leveling agent you use. I would assume available at Home Depot?

I agree completely with your post and do the red rust inhibiting primer also. But I have not applied what is a latex paint...yet. I like the penetrating effect of oil based paints when thinned and the oil has a preserving affect on steel. So I'm trying to adjust my thinking to accommodate water based methods and results

I wonder about other colors and of course, flat black.
Yes, Floetrol is available at Home Depot. You'll find it in an orange bottle or jug near the paint sprayers. You only use a couple of ounces per gallon of paint, but read the label.

There have been several other threads/discussions on using Behr paint and the summary is that their Ultra Flat exterior house paints do have the same rust inhibitor in it as the Rustoleum primer. Behr confirmed that it was compatible. The reason the exterior house paint has rust inhibitor in it, is to prevent rust and rust bleed through from nails and screws.

There are definitely opposing opinions on the use of house paint on these trucks, but many have used it and most with good results. I've had good results so far, and my truck stays out in the weather. I would not put house paint on unprimed bare metal. I have no worries putting it on a properly prepared and primed surface. Keep it dry for at least 24 hours after painting, longer if possible.

As for the other colors, including flat black, take a look at the attached document. Page 9 has the Federal Standard paint codes for most of the military paint colors. Black is FS37030. Tell the Home Depot paint desk to plug in the 37030 code and it will give him the mixing "recipe" for the paint. I have done this at two different Home Depot's and in both cases the guy didn't know it was already in the system. It worked great in both cases with Behr Ultra Flat Exterior House Paint (#4853).

Attachments

TMNT

I was talking to a Vietnam vet and he said they used to brush the paint on.

Does Lowes do the federal colors?

Anyone ever clear coat?
I have not tried to use the FSS codes at Lowe's, but they are a GSA supplier, so perhaps they too, have the FSS codes plugged into their paint computer.

The flat paint does allow brush and roller painting with good results. I've seen several trucks with roll-on paint jobs and some looked good and some not so much.

I think Zout used a flat clear-coat product on some of his paint jobs. I use my truck and it is subject to scratches from tree limbs, ropes, chains, and boots. I would think that the clear coat would make touching up the paint more difficult. Since I am prone to taking some 80-grit to mine to repaint a fender, door, or bed floor, I just put the flat paint on and let it ride. The nature of these trucks is that occasional rust abatement and scratch repair is needed anyway, so putting on a paint job that stays perfect for several years is a waste of time, unless you're building a garage kept show truck.

TMNT

hey guys so im living in manitoba, canada. im wondering where i can get paint for my m1008 i want the OD green, but dont really know where to start ive called a few places in town(winnipeg) and nobody carries the CARC i would like a similiar material to work with, dont need the special biohazard stuff in it and what not, just a nice od green that i can paint with rattle cans or brush on with a roller. i would like it to look as the same OD green that the CARC is and maybe perfer the same texture. any suggestions???
Adam, you say you want OD green. You might want to get some small samples of the 383 green (FS34094), Dark Green (FS34082) and Field Drab (FS33105) and see which (if any) satisfies you. 383 green is a bright green (think new leaves), especially when it first goes on. It darkens up some over a few weeks, but it initially is kind of bright.

OD green is a darker almost brown-green color. You can see approximately what any of the FS colors look like at this site: http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=33105

There is a place near the bottom where you can type in any valid FS paint code and it will show you the color. You can also click on the "color picker" and then select a color. It will show you all of the available shades of that color, along with the FS code for each. If your monitor is properly calibrated, the representation is pretty good. Just know that depending on your monitor, green is not necessarily green. You might like FS34096.

tobyS

Yea TMNT, that helps. Now I have a partial list of the Federal standard from your attachment but there seems to be a few that I didn't see. I had a list of 12 colors as;

White...Federal Std. no. ?
Desert Sand
Sand...33303
Earth Yellow...33245
Earth Red
Earth Brown
Field Drab
Olive Drab
Light Green
Dark Green...34082
Forest Green
Black...37030

and for completeness added;

Aircraft Gray...36300
Aircraft Black...37031
Aircraft Green...34031

So i can't identify a few of the names and associate them with Fed Std no's. Like which green is "Green 383" (is that "light green"), is "earth brown" also brown 383, what is tan 686, and are there Fed Specs for the other couple? Have I missed any that are considered main colors?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

tobyS

TMNT, Please, one more question. Behr has the exterior paints and has the flat in Premium Plus and Premium Plus Ultra that is "paint and primer in one". I thought I read that the Premium Plus was really good...are you saying to use the "ultra" that is paint AND primer? Is that where the rust inhibitor comes in, in the "Ultra", it's in the primer portion of the formula?

Good to hear it bonds to oil based iron oxide (red) primer. I think it sounds like a great combination. Your reasons for not clear coating make sense.

TMNT

TMNT, Please, one more question. Behr has the exterior paints and has the flat in Premium Plus and Premium Plus Ultra that is "paint and primer in one". I thought I read that the Premium Plus was really good...are you saying to use the "ultra" that is paint AND primer? Is that where the rust inhibitor comes in, in the "Ultra", it's in the primer portion of the formula?

Good to hear it bonds to oil based iron oxide (red) primer. I think it sounds like a great combination. Your reasons for not clear coating make sense.
Toby, I used the Premium Plus Ultra because I knew I would be painting over a variety of surfaces: clean old paint; newly repaired and prepared metal; wood; and fiberglass. The integrated primer may be overkill but I tend to go big or go home, if you know what I mean. The evidence is that it works pretty well, but the non-primer version may work just as well.

TMNT

Yea TMNT, that helps. Now I have a partial list of the Federal standard from your attachment but there seems to be a few that I didn't see. I had a list of 12 colors as;

White...Federal Std. no. ?
Desert Sand Probably Tan 686
Sand...33303
Earth Yellow...33245
Earth Red
Earth Brown 30051
Field Drab 33105
Olive Drab
Light Green
Dark Green...34082
Forest Green
Black...37030

and for completeness added;

Aircraft Gray...36300
Aircraft Black...37031
Aircraft Green...34031

So i can't identify a few of the names and associate them with Fed Std no's. Like which green is "Green 383" (is that "light green"), is "earth brown" also brown 383, what is tan 686, and are there Fed Specs for the other couple? Have I missed any that are considered main colors?

Thanks for your help.
I added a couple of FS codes where you had blanks. I need to go verify the correct number for OD Green. I think white is just common flat white, but I'll look.

TMNT

The best I can offer you at this point is to use the forum search function on the term "OD Green code."

There are numerous threads about custom mixes for versions of OD Green. You'll have to evaluate the various photos and custom paint mixes and determine which you like best. Some are dark green, some are more brown-green, some are very dark and others not so dark.

The standard 3-color camo is 383 Green, Black, and the third color should mimic the local soil color, 383 Brown is typical. Are you planning a camo paint scheme or just solid green?

tobyS

I like both solid and camo. Now the M817 is all green... but camo does have an appeal. I like the darker, northern woodland. So Black (37030), dark green (34082) and either light green (green 383)(34094) and/or brown 383(30051). I'll see if I can attach a photo for your comment on solid vs camo, TMNT.

Maybe with a bit more research, I can find the other numbers. I'm not sure if green 686 is light green or forest green. I would like to complete the list just to have it.

That leaves white, earth red, olive drab, light green and forest green to complete the list of numbers.

I'll get with Home depot again and see about getting their $3 samples now that I have the numbers.

Attachments

TMNT

I like both solid and camo. Now the M817 is all green... but camo does have an appeal. I like the darker, northern woodland. So Black (37030), dark green (34082) and either light green (green 383)(34094) and/or brown 383(30051). I'll see if I can attach a photo for your comment on solid vs camo, TMNT.

Maybe with a bit more research, I can find the other numbers. I'm not sure if green 686 is light green or forest green. I would like to complete the list just to have it.

That leaves white, earth red, olive drab, light green and forest green to complete the list of numbers.

I'll get with Home depot again and see about getting their $3 samples now that I have the numbers.
The 817 looks like it is CARC 383 Green with some age on it, except for the front bumper.

The only 686 I'm familiar with is Tan (Desert Tan).

tobyS

Ok, here is what I have compiled for the camo and green colors.

White...several
DesertTan 686A..33446
Sand ................33303
Dark Sandstone..33510
Earth Yellow......33245
Field Drab..........33105
Earth Red..........31090
Brown 383.........30051
Olive Drab.........34088
Light Green.......34089
Green 383.........34094
Dark Green........34082
Forest Green......34086
Black................37030

Last edited:

tobyS

Yes, that number is also used for Olive Drab per the table you cite. One would have to see the exact formula to know the difference, if any. My number did come from fs595.

tobyS

The history is interesting TMNT.

It really would be good to have real paint samples to compare them. I'm sure you noticed all the variations of just the olive drab on the chart your link contains.

adamrossol01

TMNT im planning on a all solid green, with a black box liner on the bottom 1/4 way up the entire truck. i think it would look pretty cool! plus the box liner will help me with minimal bondo working because it would be very forgiving. i really like the 383green as well on that color server i really like the 34095 and 34096 thanks for the refrences!

tobyS

Bingo, Home Depot hit on each of the 12 colors in the list above. They are making the $3 samples of each one.

If there is no objection, I'll request to name a "steel soldiers" project at the Behr special projects website.

TMNT

TMNT im planning on a all solid green, with a black box liner on the bottom 1/4 way up the entire truck. i think it would look pretty cool! plus the box liner will help me with minimal bondo working because it would be very forgiving. i really like the 383green as well on that color server i really like the 34095 and 34096 thanks for the refrences!
Adam, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I hope we provided some useful info for you there. Paint style, type, color, brand, etc. seems to be one of those topics that generate endless debate, much like the "what kind of oil", and "how big a tire will fit" topics. It depends on what you want and how much money you want to spend. There's "accurate", then then there's "correct", and there's "what I did", and then there's what works for you. I've seen the lower 1/4 to lower 1/2 done with bedliner on civi vehicles and it looked good. I've even seen a few FJ's with the entire exterior done with LineX. Just for information purposes, you can get LineX color matched to any color, so its possible to get LineX matched to 383 Green.

Be sure and post some photos after you get it painted.

TMNT

Bingo, Home Depot hit on each of the 12 colors in the list above. They are making the $3 samples of each one.

If there is no objection, I'll request to name a "steel soldiers" project at the Behr special projects website.
Sounds like a good thing to me. Send a PM to PATRACY or CLINTO regarding the issue of using the SS name. I don't see a problem, but that's above my pay grade.