• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where does the license plate go??

Darwin T

Ok last night i pulled the parts to put a light on my 3rd deuce and took some pictures. this goes along with my other posts. if i am not clear are you have any questions just ask. there are many ways to do this i just did not want to cut the new wiring harness i had just put on my M109a3 so i went with the rubber plugs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

The Trucklite bracket you have in the pic above is what I used to mount mine. I located a hole on the first cross member under the e radiator to secure it to, and then did the same on the rear. I secured it to the back cross member next to the pintle hook.

Attachments

Darwin T

the deuce on the left has the plate mounted in the middle of the bumper and the bottom hangs down below the curve. the one on the right is mounted flat on the bumper. that being said i went throught some 3 to 4 foot tall little trees with the one on the left and busted the holder and bent the crap out of the plate. :shock: just before sinking it to the axles in a mud hole. :oops: now i mount all of them flat on the front bumper, and avoid that mud hole. :)

Attachments

Darwin T

i have never be hassled with or without it displayed, however, the one time i am in a hurry i don't want that to be the time some LEO decides i need it displayed. just do i right so you only have to do i once.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MN requires the light, so it will be one of my first projects when I get home. Sounds like you had good luck with the one from Erik's? Let me know how well it holds up. I looked at ordering the same light, but had wondered about the best wiring set-up. The "Y" seems to be a good way to go.
Pete, can we register here as military collector with our A3's?
Another note can we get a 21 day temp registration without the SF97 while we're waiting? The Princeton deputy registar says I need the title to get any kind of registration, but I think they don't know their $#% from a hole in the ground. What's the point of having a temporary registration then?

Tlauden

From a fellow PA member, I Mounted mine on a bracket hanging right behind the drivers side mud flap. Seemed like the perfect out of the way spot. Did not install lights, since it came without lights officially you don't need them.

It also helps I keep mine out beside the firehouse, and have a firehouse plate on the front of it :) People think it's department owned and I had a fellow ask me why I get to take it home every now and again. Hahaha I just kindly replied "because it's mine"... He was all kinds of confused haha I explained to him there was no room to permanently store it where I currently live so that was the best place, plus some of the older guys at the firehouse like to cruise it around the fields, they say it reminds them of there military days. (Is it bad when I have to wait for a turn to drive my own vehicle at times haha)

CobraCDR

For Minnesota:

Minnesota State Statute 168.10 REGISTRATION; COLLECTOR VEHICLE.

Subd. 1h.Collector military vehicle.(a) A motor vehicle, including a truck, shall be listed and registered under this section if it meets the following conditions:

(1) it is at least 20 years old;

(2) its first owner following its manufacture was a branch of the armed forces of the United States and it presently conforms to the vehicle specifications required during the time of military ownership, or it has been restored and presently conforms to the specifications required by a branch of the armed forces for the model year that the restored vehicle could have been owned by that branch of the armed forces; and

(3) it is owned by a nonprofit organization and operated solely as a collector's vehicle. For purposes of this subdivision, "nonprofit organization" means a corporation, society, association, foundation, or institution organized and operated exclusively for historical or educational purposes, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of a private individual.

(b) The owner of the vehicle shall execute an affidavit stating the name and address of the person from whom purchased and of the new owner; the make, year, and model number of the motor vehicle; the manufacturer's identification number; and the collector military vehicle identification number, if any, located on the exterior of the vehicle. The affidavit must affirm that the vehicle is owned by a nonprofit organization and is operated solely as a collector's item and not for general transportation purposes. If the commissioner is satisfied that the affidavit is true and correct and the owner pays a $25 tax and the plate fee authorized under section 168.12, the commissioner shall list the vehicle for taxation and registration and shall issue number plates. The number plates shall bear the inscriptions "Collector" and "Minnesota" and the registration number, but no date. The number plates are valid without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence in Minnesota. The commissioner may revoke the plates for failure to comply with this subdivision.

(c) Notwithstanding section 168.09, 168.12, or other law to the contrary, the owner of a registered collector military vehicle is not required to display registration plates on the exterior of the vehicle if the vehicle has an exterior number identification that conforms to the identifying system for military vehicles in effect when the vehicle was last owned by the branch of the armed forces of the United States or in effect in the year to which the collector military vehicle has been restored. However, the state registration plates must be carried in or on the collector military vehicle at all times.

(d) The owner of a registered collector military vehicle that is not required to display registration plates under paragraph (c) may tow a registered trailer behind it. The trailer is not required to display registration plates if the trailer:

(1) does not exceed a gross weight of 15,000 pounds;

(2) otherwise conforms to registration, licensing, and safety laws and specifications;

(3) conforms to military specifications for appearance and identification;

(4) is intended to represent and does represent a military trailer; and

(5) carries registration plates on or in the trailer or the collector military vehicle towing the trailer.

Subd. 1i.Collector plate transfer.Notwithstanding section 168.12, subdivision 1, on payment of a transfer fee of $5, plates issued under this section may be transferred to another vehicle owned or jointly owned by the person to whom the special plates were issued or the plate may be assigned to another owner. In addition to the transfer fee a new owner must pay the $25 tax and any fee required by section 168.12, subdivision 2a. The $5 fee must be paid into the state treasury and credited to the vehicle services operating account under section 299A.705, subdivision 1. License plates issued under this section may not be transferred to a vehicle not eligible for the collector's vehicle license plates.

Most of the "1993" deuces are actually 1994 or later. Mine already had MN plates on it (private sale). From what I understand, you need to wait on receiving the title before you can apply for the state licence plates (same as any other vehicle). After the 20 year requirement, you can change to collector status on it. I would recommend calling the DMV for the specifics on the temp permit. That is one issue I didn't have to deal with. Hope this helps...

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like regular plate then. Yeah I went to the registar in another futile attempt to get a 21 day temp permit, they won't do it. You can buy a car at auction from minneapolis and they'll give you one so you can drive the vehicle( they take a week or two to get your title) but for some reason the state can't? Bizarre.

Wonder if I could plate this as a farm vehicle... Considering all the ducks, chickens, dogs, cats running around my hobby farm...... Could use it to haul hay..... :)

I talked to the sheriff, he also said until I get the title and registration it's illegal to drive it on the bill of sale and insurance...... Oh well I drove it home, guess I got lucky.

You stay safe over there Pete. Hows the weather?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks