• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where to buy cummins glow plug?

Sephirothq

not plugs as so much as plug.
there is one located in the intake for cold starting.
If you didn't know.
it's cold outside. there's no kinda atmosphere.

Sephirothq

I am not asking about a block heater. I know about those and am not referring to one.
I am asking about the spark plug looking thing that is in the intake that has a wire going to it.

rwelker

I've tried NAPA but they must get them in a box of 6 I am told. I'm going to check Cummins next. There are online sources. Where in Trevorton are you? I'm about 20 miles south in Gratz.

jasonjc

Keep in mine that the "plug" is 12 volts on the 5 ton not 24v. And it has its own wire that is hooked to the batterys. You mite check that also.

Sephirothq

When i got my truck the glow plug system was hooked up to the 24 volt source. I had changed it to the 12 volt source but i think it was too late. I have tested the system but putting an amp meter between the glow plug and the hot wire, it does not draw any amps. I am getting 12 volts then the switch is turned on so i think I need a new glow plug.

It should be a standard part not a mil specific part.

I stop over at the gratz farmers market everyone once and a while on fridays.

Sephirothq

I got the plug out today. it is definitely bad. the plug is made by champion it is 18mm threads but the website says it is 6 volts. the champion part number is AG-2. Is this the correct plug? should it be 6 volts??? where can i get a new one?

Sephirothq

from what i have been able to find it should be rated at 6 volts???

I have checked the wiring and it is connected correctly but i get about 12.65 volts at the connector.

martinsaunders06

the one in my 816 is a champion AG 2. the element which is wound into a coil and glows cherry red had broken so i repaired it by resoldering- i thought the solder would melt but desite numerous heat ups it seemed and still remains ok. definately should be connected to only one battery/12 volts.

70deuce

Mine went out on the M818. The one I put in was a Champion CH48. Got it from NAPA and they did not require buying 6 of them at least here in the Denver area. There were not very many left in their system they said. $28 if I remember right. And the CH48 is stamped with 6 volts on the main body. Mine was shipped from somewhere in the northwest. My original element broke just south of the main body. Might be able to see it in the first pic.

Attachments

k0337788

This is a manifold heater plug - 12v supply direct to the battery compartment.
Gets red hot & you pump diesel at it from the dash that allows a flame to get sucked in the manifold v. effective Part no Champion CH48 - hope this helps

rwelker

Sephirothg,
I missed your post on the 2nd somehow. I have an M35A2 with a Civvy dump conversion, multiple trailers and about 7 M35A2's in various stages of disassemble for parts. Also an M810 that had a military water tank on it. Where did you get your glow plug? I still need one and was thinking of checking at A&L Diesel in Dornsife. Is your truck for hobby or work. I work my dump but try to keep it in decent shape and I parade it during the summer locally. I have another that is to be a restoration project to like new. Everything is accuired but no time yet. The M810 will be restored but also used to pull my trailer with my backhoe. We need to get together sometime. Rick