• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find differential lockers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M-1028

Mudguppy, what does differential mean ? It means to differentiate , that means it is responding to two or more things, understand ? A "Spool" does NOT differentiate since it cannot turn, it is mechanically fixed, it is unable to turn.
The term "Locker" came from the "Detroit Locker" a brand name now owned by "Eaton" A lot of people use the term interchangeably with any type of limited torque differential, but that is incorrect. Nobody uses the term "automatic" differential, if they do show me !
I never said these other types of limited slip differentials where not "differentials" They all are except the true "spool" rearends. Read what I posted and quite making up stuff. By the way what do you do for a living ? All you guys posting your "opinions" without backing up anything you say is really getting old. At least "Phil2968" backed up his position. Why don't you "Mudguppy" .
And as far as the military using an item, considering all the research and development that goes into a military vehicle, I would say that, that is a good selling point "the military uses this item" as I think any rational person would, but not you of course Mudguppy.
Now this topic has gotten WAY beyond what I originally said, that "Detroit Lockers" are hard on equipment which I proved. (read the Pamphlet from Eaton I posted) Enough said, all you want-to-be "Master Mechanics" can leave it alone now as I will be in surgery tomorrow and won't be home for awhile. Or better yet, spend 4 years going to school and apprenticeship and then take the "ASE' tests which only take 6 days and then add 32 years of experience and then we can carryon an intelligent conversation about all the differences of differentials .
I expect to know what you do for a living "Mudguppy" when I get back next week.
Here is the definition of a locking differential http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_differential Proof that your wrong. A Detroit becomes a spool when it's locked and stays locked if input is supplied after it locks, that's why it barks the tires around turns just like a spool. Your twisting the terminology.

mudguppy

... I expect to know what you do for a living "Mudguppy" when I get back next week.
Why in king-all-f*** does it matter what I do for a living? You have a background where you should know how to classify a locking differential as such and you don't. I'm glad you can put gear boxes together - does that make you a subject matter expert in all things geared? Sorry - is gear box the wrong term?

I'm a mechanical engineer and have a supporting masters. I've written a paper on the Torsen differential and comparative advantages in college for one of my machine design classes where we studied power transmission devices. There - does that make me correct?

I don't need to back anything up - you're lost. You've made one bogus assertion after another - purely you're point of view. You're making claims about certain locking diffs not being differentials, the term 'Locker' being a mis-applied brand name like Velcro, comparisons to limited slips that no one has brought up from the beginning, and talking about differentials in other vehicles that you know absolutely nothing about.

You provided a brochure from Eaton that says the No-Spin is hard on drivetrain parts in the heavy truck market. Yay!!!! Who was surprised by that? Was that a question from earlier discussion that folks were wondering? Nope.

I was an officer in the Army ordnance corps for 10 years. I was the MCO (shop officer) for the largest maintenance company on Ft Stewart; we had the resources to work on anything ground related within the Army's inventory. I spent some time up at Aberdeen behind the fence with some of the DOD contractors evaluating new equipment. Except for the fire system guys, you think those guys knew all that much about component design or that any one of those knuckle heads could tell you how a locking diff worked? Do you really think that each machine component within a truck that an equipment contractor submits in a bid package is thoroughly evaluated to a level of detail such that the HMMWV only made the cut if it included Torsen diffs????????

So you're supporting viewpoint is essentially 'the military bought it so that means that it's awesome' ? You need to spend some more time in the fleet - example: anyone trying to hook up a HMMWV to the retrieval system on an FMTV wrecker while not on level ground, now go tell this person how much better the new wrecker is... you'll probably get punched in the face. But why? I mean, the military bought it and researched it a bunch so it must be awesome!?!?!?!? I guess if they really spend all this time debating individual machine componentry like you believe then it makes sense that they forgot to test drive the new M1078s faster than 35mph during their eval - then they would have seen how the truck turns into a pole-vaulter. Yeah, keep using military equipment selection criteria in your corner and see how that helps you.

Quit telling people that they're making stuff up - that is exactly what you have been doing. Why don't you save your time (and ours) on here and write a letter to any major off-road magazine and explain to them that they've been erroneously referring to locking differentials as a type of a differential. I'm sure it would get published as I'm quite sure it would be educational for other novices. Maybe they'll send you a sticker or something.

Last edited:

rustystud

Mudguppy read post #41, we where talking about the "locker" being hard on parts, but like every other "engineer" I've meet you care nothing about facts just your opinion. Every mechanic I know has cussed out you engineer's for your "marvelous" designs that are not worth a crap. You must be so proud!

rustystud

We have an air locker already set up- military issue

1 only in stock

Dave Newman
www.easternsurplus.net

Email dave@easternsurplus.net
Office Phone Toll Free 1-855-332-0500

(M35-269) Rear/Drive Axle with Air Locker. Military rebuild. M35A2/M35A3 application. NSN 2530-00-051-9791. $2900
At last a voice of reason. Like I have been saying all along, the best torque limiting device for the "Rockwell" differential is an air-locker. Instead of flaming a guy who shows you facts, (which you have yet to provide mudguppy), and would actually read what said person actually wrote instead of "lets jump on this guy and show him his place!" maybe this site could be what it was intended for. A place where information could be freely shared so we can all enjoy this fun hobby. I wrote and backed up what I wrote some information that would help other members, instead I was attacked saying I did not have the experience to make said judgment. Actually I'm sad "mudguppy" that you choose to join in on the flaming. You have posted some great articles in the past, with a lot of use-full information. I especially liked your "bobber" build. But by joining with the rabble who just like to make themselves feel important you have diminished your stature in my eyes. There are some great guys on this site ie: Gringletaube(Gerhard) ,Peashooter, Gimpyrobb, Clinto, Jaktonka , TMamerica, and some moderators to name a few. Even you Welldigger, though you have chosen to semi join in on the fun. Yes Gimpyrobb joined in also but he can't help himself :) . So I will stick around, but probably not share as much as I can as it gets old trying to justify yourself to small minded individuals .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Enough with the internet fighting. This thread is done. Points handed out since the point wasn't taken earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks