• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get rubber brake lines for M135??

Brad

We just cannot continue fighting these brakes in my Dad's M135.!!
I have been advise countless times that my problem is the rubber lines. They just keep locking up and make it hard to drive and hard on the truck.
There are many reasons why I feel it may not be the rubber lines, too many to list.
But we are at our wits end.
No matter, this spring my Son and I are going to replace every rubber line on the truck.
That will either cure it, or break me. I really dont have extra money to put into this thing as it takes all we have to hire help for my Dad & Mom's health problems and the help we hire to help us keep them in their home in stead of a nursing home.
So my question is guys:
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE ALL THESE LINES, and in new condition? Not old stock lines that might have the same trouble??
Or do I have to have them made up somewhere???
Thanks friends, this site has always been so very helpful in the past.
I attach a pic of my Dad with his truck when he was able.
Thanks againTRK2.jpg

USMC 00-08

PM me your email address and I will send you a copy of the parts list several of us have been working on. There are parts numbers to brake lines that you can get at NAPA, O'Reilly's, Bumper to Bumper, etc.

USMC 00-08

Here are brake line part numbers we have so far.

Rear Brake Lines36540(keep lockwasher & nut)NAPA
Flex Brake Lines35081NAPA
Brake Shoe Retaining Spring7412117
Axle to Steel Line Elbow122520O'Reilly's,Bumper to Bumper
Front Brake Lines4751 (5/16 flare)NAPA
Front Rubber Brake Lines & FittingH4900 & 258540Bumper to Bumper
Middle Axle To Frame Brake LineUP 38297NAPA
H38297O'Reilly's,Bumper to Bumper
Rear Brake LineUP 36540NAPA

Brad

Thanks all, I'm checking this all out.
What do you mean by the copper washers?? At the ends of the brake lines??
Thanks

Yes there are two where the brass block fitting uses a hollow bolt that holds it to the third member and one in between the hose where it threads in to the brass fitting . you will need to get the right size they are not the same size . NAPA should have them in boxes of ten .The top hose is the brake and the bottom is the vent .

Brad

Found possible cause of problem????
Awhile back as we were all discussing my brake trouble I had mentioned that I had replaced all four of the front wheel wheel cylinders.
At that time I believe someone mentioned that if I had used the new rods that came with the cylinders, that might be the cause of my brakes not releasing immediatley?
They said that the Canadian wheel cylinder rods were a little too long?
I dont know why they would be?? Wouldnt the Canadians have problems also??
Anyway I dug out my old wheel cylinders and sure enough it appears that I did indeed use the new rods at the time I installed them. I mean, why wouldnt I use the new rods at that time, not knowing any better??
The rods in my parts pile are indeed all old and filthy and obviously from the originals.
So, does anyone know about any of this?? Is it really a fact that my rods could be too long??
Maybe I could call the supplier and get them to measure the lengths of the new ones and I could compare with these originals??
Any help is greatly appreciated, as always.
Thanks sooooo muchphoto.jpg

cmpman

Towards the end of the life cycle of our old deuces here in Canada, we went to a new larger diameter wheel cylinder. If you put in the new cylinder, you had to use the new rods. If you replaced it with an old cylinder, you had to use the old rods. Sometimes we would get new, and sometimes you would order again and get a rebuilt old one. There was a message sent telling us we had to use the appropriate rods or the brakes would not release, or if you used the short rods, then the pistons in the brake cylinder would extend beyond their proper position of travel.

Many on this site get their wheel cylinders from Ralph at Niagara military parts. I believe he ended up with several thousand of them when the old deuces went out of service. These are all the new style, and come with their matching rods. I just gopt a couple today for my truck.

Found possible cause of problem????
Awhile back as we were all discussing my brake trouble I had mentioned that I had replaced all four of the front wheel wheel cylinders.
At that time I believe someone mentioned that if I had used the new rods that came with the cylinders, that might be the cause of my brakes not releasing immediatley?
They said that the Canadian wheel cylinder rods were a little too long?
I dont know why they would be?? Wouldnt the Canadians have problems also??
Anyway I dug out my old wheel cylinders and sure enough it appears that I did indeed use the new rods at the time I installed them. I mean, why wouldnt I use the new rods at that time, not knowing any better??
The rods in my parts pile are indeed all old and filthy and obviously from the originals.
So, does anyone know about any of this?? Is it really a fact that my rods could be too long??
Maybe I could call the supplier and get them to measure the lengths of the new ones and I could compare with these originals??
Any help is greatly appreciated, as always.
Thanks sooooo muchView attachment 535062

Brad

Well, thanks to all for all the help over the last few years.
The weather is finally breaking here in Western Pa and my Son has already asked me when we were going to "get on" his Pap's truck. Meaning fix these breaks.
My Son is an Iraq war vet and has really gotten interested in his Grandfathers truck. Likes to take it in parades, haul other veterans, etc.
Without his help I would be in trouble. Its just like I was with my Dad. He did most the rthiking and I did the work. Now my Son does the work and I try and do mostly thinking. Although it is great to still have my Father here to get involved. We always tell him what we're dong, how things are working out, etc. You can tell he is really enjoying being involved. Though he cant speak, he still makes his point.
Anyway, I am going to get these rubber hoses ordered. I believe from memory that there are six of them? Does anyone know if there are differances, differant lengths, diameters, fitting ends??
One of you friends mentioned NAPA? Will they have the part numbers??
Also, I need the copper washers.
And I have had some folks tell me there are differant types of break fluid, and to be sure to get the correct type. Where do I find that out.
Dont want to seem stupid here, or lazy for not just looking. But if someone there already knows its better than me trying to figure it all out. And probably making costly mistake?
Thanks to all
Brad Foust
724-235-1140

Brad

Here are a couple pics of DAd and his grandkids. We were able to use some long scaffold stages and get him in the bed of his truck to ride in a local Firemen's parade.
Thanks again guys for all the help

USMC 00-08

Here are the brake line part numbers I have.

7410533Brake Hose, Front, L=23.25"UP 4751 NAPA(5/16 flare)
Brake Hose, L= 31.5"UP 35081NAPA
Brake Hose, Middle Axle To Frame, L=28"BENDIXUP 38297NAPA

I sent you a PM. I'm getting close to posting up the parts list.

Brad

Hi Friends,
I am planning on calling NAPA and ordering all the flexable lines. Please look my list over and tell me if I have these part numbers correct?

Line at each front wheel NAPA #H4900 (two required)
Line to front axle NAPA #35081 (two required) I am not really sure of this?
Line from frame to middle axle NAPA #UP38297
Line from frame to rear axle NAPA #35081

Des anyone know the sizes of the copper washers so I can order with the lines and not have to take off and measure before I order??
If they are differant sixes then I should needsix(6) of each size??

Finally, I have heard rumors that there are differant types of brake fluid? I am going blow out all the lines while apart. What type should I use to replace all the fluid??

Thanks to all,
Brad Foust100_1130.jpg

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My belief is there is 1 brake hose to the front axle. The second one is the vent from the front axle. So 2 hoses are on the truck, but only 1 is the vent. You should have seen me scratching my head when I was in the troubleshooting phase cracking every connection tracing the lines trying to find the blockage. (Don't mix them up) Turned out to be this very hose was crushed inside the channel atop the dog bone. Between the little wire clip that holds the hose in the channel and the rust that formed inside the channel the hose got squashed and restricted fluid.

As far as the fluid goes, drain some into a jar, add some water and shake it up. Water will mix with DOT 3 and separate in DOT 5.
I just run DOT 3.

Good luck and keep us posted. -Dan

Last edited:

Brad

I'm a little cornfused?
When you state "vent" do you mean it vents the axle, or the brake system??
Ya know, I wondered why in the heck there would be two brake lines, unless it was just for redundancy? But then why just the front wheels and not all?
Making more sense.
I wonder if NAPA would have a description for each line and number, if I approached them with a couple that I knew?
If one of those is a vent, then I assume the flex lines are:
One for each front wheel
One from frame to front axle
One from frame to middle axle
One from frame to rear axle
That would be a total of five (5) flex lines?

When I get the truck out here in a couple days and crawl under (no easy task) I will look. But isnt the only differances the line lengths??

Thanks

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a little cornfused?
When you state "vent" do you mean it vents the axle, or the brake system?
One for each front wheel
One from frame to front axle
One from frame to middle axle
One from frame to rear axle
That would be a total of five (5) flex lines?
Thanks
Vent for the axle. 5 rubber brake lines, should be 3 axle vents total. They thread into the axle housing just like the brake hoses. They thread into steel lines that look like steel brake lines. The difference is they run right past the airpack and go to the breather on the firewall between the batteries. This is for water crossings. I will look at my trucks Friday.

Brad

I called NAPA and all those part numbers are available next day except one, which they can get in a few days.
But I just want to be sure of what I'm ordering? The right hose for the right place. If someone will look at my list and tell me if I am correct or not?
#38297 (28") middle axle to frame?
#35081 (31.5") rear axle to frame?
#4751 (23.25") front axle to frame ?
#4900 (length?) One at each front wheel??

I am not where the truck is or I would just go and try and measure the hoses. It would be good if I could just order these now and then when I get them go to the truck and get to work.
Thanks in advance to all,
Brad

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 brake lines Rubber the right way

TM 9-8024 and the ORD 7 - SNL - G749 manuals have some decent information in them....or is that descent, or dissent. You know what I mean....Here is the info!

P4030153.jpgP4030152.jpg

Hope the pictures work out. These books do not hold up very well in the tub.

Aiming for a minimum length of 31.5" makes sense but the book seems to indicate they made 6 middle rubbers the same length, then 2 front rubbers the same length.

I don't think length is anything to get hung up on, I never worry about it. Get close, be happy!

You just need to be sure they are long enough to meet the full extension of the axle when and if you climb hills....or jack it up to do maintenance.

Replacing old rubber with new rubber is a priority especially when the trucks are taken out in public. Even if we still need to trouble-shoot other issues after, you are doing the "Rubber the right way".

I present to you substantiating documentation and pictures.

P4030158.jpgP4030157.jpgP4030156.jpgP4030155.jpgP4030154.jpg

Brad

Thanks so far guys, just checking in.
I was able to measure all the lines this mmorning. My only concern is the length of the rubber lines at each front wheel?
I measured both sides and though its not exact I cone up with 11" plus the thread lengh on each end.
When I give the number to NAPA they say the length is 17.5". My concern is where will I put all that extra line length in the tite and cramped area right at the front wheel along with heat shield, etc.
Seems like that might be a problem??
The other three line lengths are all close enough to what I measured to not concern ,. A little shorter or a little longer but close enough as close as I could measure under there with a steel tape measure.
Thanks as always.
BTW, anybody know a web site where I could try and sell a NON military 1952 jeep??

Adios

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks