• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get rubber brake lines for M135??

Brad

More pestering you guys.
As I sid I am concerned about the big differance in the front wheel flex brake lines.
NAPA says the number 4900 measures 17.5" total overall. I had roughly measured 11".
Being concerned I just now went ahead and took off one of the front lines and laying it out flat and accuratley measuring it is 11.75", certainly no more than 12".
Again, my concern is that there is no where to stuff that extra line under that heat shield. It looks like the extra would just be catching on anything it came in contact with.
The other lines are ok it too long but these lines need to be closer the correct length.
I am asking, could that be an incorrect part number? It isnt really close the correct length??
I am going to call NAPA back meanwhile, and see if they can find something closer.
Thanks in advance ya-all'. I just think maybe thats the wrong part number?
Regards

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have an answer for you on the brake line length.
Did you replace the master cyl? Do you remember the part number by chance?

USMC 00-08

I used the longer front brake lines since that is the only thing available at the part stores, unless you go and have some custom made.

Here is what it looks like. It is long, but it worked fine for me.
100_2125.jpg

DevRev

More pestering you guys.
As I sid I am concerned about the big differance in the front wheel flex brake lines.
NAPA says the number 4900 measures 17.5" total overall. I had roughly measured 11".
Being concerned I just now went ahead and took off one of the front lines and laying it out flat and accuratley measuring it is 11.75", certainly no more than 12".
Again, my concern is that there is no where to stuff that extra line under that heat shield. It looks like the extra would just be catching on anything it came in contact with.
The other lines are ok it too long but these lines need to be closer the correct length.
I am asking, could that be an incorrect part number? It isnt really close the correct length??
I am going to call NAPA back meanwhile, and see if they can find something closer.
Thanks in advance ya-all'. I just think maybe thats the wrong part number?
Regards
Cut them to size? Just use a brand new razor.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brad, I sent you my phone number. You sure can give me a ring or I can call you back. There are still a couple things I'm not 100% clear on.

Brad

CORRECTED HOSE INFO:
I have appreciated everything you guys have shared with me, so now it's my turn to help if this applies to anyone?
Thanks to all for the info and suggestions. I have now (I think) successfully determined the correct, or close as possible correct, flexible brake hosed for my Dad's 1952 M135. I have replaced all the hoses except one, and I have it here to do.
First the shortest hoses are at each front wheel. I was told to use and used NAPA #4900. Problem is they are toooo long. But NAPA tells me these are the shortest availabe at 17-1/2", they are too long, and might cause kinking problems, or wear from rubbing on metal parts. The original hoses are 12" long. It takes some twisting and turning under there to try and avoid the suspected problems.
Another problem I came across was when installing I discovered that the one end of the hose is also incorrect where the steel lines attach. The steel fittings are a size larger than all the others on the truck?? This required me finding an appropriate reducing fitting. It was not easy but I did find straight line reducers at a local parts store. This made the line even longer. Not good. However if you could find the reducer in a 90 degree elbow it might make things better, less sharp bends.

For the other hoses it's pretty straight forward. All the ends and fittings match right up and it's a fairly easy switch providing everything comes apart with-out destroying anything. Old brake line fittings can be a bear. Fortunatley in this case everything came apart like it was built last week. Hard to believe, must be better steel, etc than they use in the civilian auto motive industry?
First thing though, I was told that #4757 (23-1/4" Lg) would work from frame to front axle. That is way too short. You need to use #35081 at 31-1/2" . And this is the same line you will use at the rear axle to frame. So you will need two of these also. No extra fittings.
The last line is the middle axle to frame. Use #38297 at 28-1/4".
Thats 5 lines in all to replace all the flexable lines.
The biggest problem is the toooo long lines at each front wheel. If someone could make these up special it would be great. As is the NAPA lines are all I am aware of.
By the way, they are made in CHINA!! If my Dad knew that he probably would not have bought them. After all, when he was driving these trucks it was at the CHOSIN Res. Well, not this model, but older WWII vintage trucks. But the thought is the same. He was fighting the Chinese. Now we gotta get these hoses from the Chinese!
I hope this helps someone sometime. You guys have helped me.
Thanks to all,
Brad100_1131.jpg