• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which is the Hardest Bolt or Nut to remove from the Deuce?

Which is the Hardest Bolt or Nut to remove from the Deuce

• Emergency Brake Handle Mounting Bolt

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Alternator Mounting Bolts

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Emergency Brake Adjusting Nut

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • #4 Cylinder Exhaust Manifold Lower Nut

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Tachometer Cable to Motor

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce PTO gearbox to tranny mounting nuts, it was a whole lot easier with the tranny out of the truck. I could never imagine doing this with the tranny still on the truck.
I've put several PTOs on with the trans in the truck. It is tight. What's impossible to do is check the gear mesh as shown in the TM with the trans in the truck. I just do it by feel because there's no way to get a dial indicator between the PTO and the truck frame.

steelandcanvas

I've put several PTOs on with the trans in the truck. It is tight. What's impossible to do is check the gear mesh as shown in the TM with the trans in the truck. I just do it by feel because there's no way to get a dial indicator between the PTO and the truck frame.
Ty, You must have some awesome dexterity in your fingers! [thumbzup] I could probably do the bottom nuts, but the top ones, well that would be a different story. aua Not a whole lot of room for a wrench, let alone a dial indicator. :shock:

jollyroger

Bolt on top of the primary fuel filter that holds the canister to the filter housing........While you are 14 miles back at hunting camp........So you don't leak all of your fuel out on the way home.......And fuel is dripping down your arm into your armpit.........

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty, You must have some awesome dexterity in your fingers! [thumbzup] I could probably do the bottom nuts, but the top ones, well that would be a different story. aua Not a whole lot of room for a wrench, let alone a dial indicator. :shock:
Yea, what's really fun is doing it two or three times trying to get the correct number of gaskets between the PTO and the trans. :x

I have a destroyed filler plug on my front axle that has yet to be conquered. Someone, not me!, tried to chisel it loose, but obviously, it didn't move. Now it looks like a gremlin has gnawed on it.
The only way I can think of to master that extraction is to quickly weld a square end on it and hope it brakes free (and no fire is started).

Oh well...

dabtl

Steering box bolt. No big deal after you lift the motor.
No question about it. Others may be hard to access but this one requires lifting the front of the motor about an inch or so just to make the last couple of turns.

You go crazy for hours, look at the TM's and read NickD's article in the MV mag trying to figure it out. The TM wants the motor moved to the side after loosening/removing ever imaginable bolt. NickD got luck with the positioning of the engine in his M35. Not all M35s are the same however.

Finally, you remove the front motor mount bolts, loosen the rear motor mount bolts and use a crane to lift the front of the engine. It all seems so simple once you figure it out.

However, I bet I spent two weeks cussing and trying every other alternative.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steering box wasn't too bad for me, did it at a rally last year. But knew I had to jack the engine up first. Think I took the bolt loose to the radiator, then front mount bolts, then a jack under the front motor plate.

Worst one for me was air piston cylinder nut, on transfer case, while in truck. Not much room there! Had to grind the sides of a socket down, so I could use a wrench on the socket.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks