• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke at idle and driving.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my question is answered. All was well and boom went the engine. Threw a rod. Now to figure what engine to put in or swap for a 12V
Big time bummer :( :(:(:(:(:(:(, you did change the oil and filter yes?
If you decide on the 12V (major undertaking) or any other non 6.2/6.5L diesel please post in the hotrod/mod forum.

flyn2low737

Big time bummer :( :(:(:(:(:(:(, you did change the oil and filter yes?
If you decide on the 12V (major undertaking) or any other non 6.2/6.5L diesel please post in the hotrod/mod forum.
Yes oil and filter were changed at the same time the injector was. Guess it was just too far gone. Strange but there was no symptom before it blew. No noise nothing till it let go. Maybe a 4bt as I understand the 6bt requires a body lift and other modifications

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes oil and filter were changed at the same time the injector was. Guess it was just too far gone. Strange but there was no symptom before it blew. No noise nothing till it let go. Maybe a 4bt as I understand the 6bt requires a body lift and other modifications
Again that is a bummer, sorry that happened to you!!!
They are both (BT) the same height so I cannot see any real difference but for length.
If you want to discuses it farther I would suggest starting a thread on the hot rod/ mod forum.

87cr250r

Before you get too gung ho on a direct injection diesel, they don't have the same rpm range and may not pair well with your gears. The 6.2/6.5 engines run more like a gas engine with 4k rpm redline and peak power at over 3200 rpm. It's only about 800 rpm off what the small block Chevy does.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you get too gung ho on a direct injection diesel, they don't have the same rpm range and may not pair well with your gears. The 6.2/6.5 engines run more like a gas engine with 4k rpm redline and peak power at over 3200 rpm. It's only about 800 rpm off what the small block Chevy does.
That is what the double overdrive Allison is for, My LMM HMMWV (2.56 gears) is turning less than 2200RPM@75MPH (my 2008 LMM 1 ton 4X4 Dually is turning 2000RPM@75MPH)

6.5L max RPM is 3200-3400RPM depending on the source, some sources put the max for the 6.2L at 3600RPM

The Dmax for example is 3200RPM, but is allowed over 4500RPM under braking conditions.
LMM is the 6.6L Duramax used from 2006.5-2010 GM trucks

Last edited:

flyn2low737

What about the guys that have done the 6BT swap with the 4L80? I haven’t heard many complain.

Reactions: OBX

87cr250r

The more gears the merrier. The direct injection diesel engines of yesteryear had very narrow power bands, basically 1800-2300 rpm. It took a lot of gears to keep it there which is why big diesel trucks have 18 speed transmissions. The 12V Cummins engine isn't quite so limited but they still don't quite have the broad power band of an IDI diesel. The 12V will be fine in front of a 4-speed. That's what they came with from the factory. A 3 speed might be ok if you like making a lot of noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the guys that have done the 6BT swap with the 4L80? I haven’t heard many complain.
The 4L80 has a .75:1 4th gear, the Allison 1000 has a .61:1 6th gear. (BTW 5th is .71:1 still taller than the 4L80 in 4th)
SO
With the 4L80 and the companion 2.73:1 gears you would be turning about 2900RPM@75MPH VS the 2200RPM with the Allison and the 2.56 gears
If you were to put the Allison in front of the 2.73 gears you would be turning around 2350RPM@75MPH
2900 is a little tight for my comfort but doable...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks