• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke startup 6.5

bdhailey

My 2005 1123 has heavy white smoke at start up then goes away when warm
Already replaced injectors, glow plugs, advance cold start solinoid and glow plug controller on manifod
Ideas
Thx

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does she start right up or does it take time cranking?

What is the glow plug light doing during the startup procedure?

If she take her time starting when it's below 60 outside then that is an indication of a start/glow issue. I see you replaced everything but did you test the system on starting? This will let you know if the glow plugs are being energized for the right time and then go into an afterglow mode. Please note not all control boxes have an afterglow mode.

When I was fighting with mine the glow light worked fine had just replaced the glow plugs only to find out the solenoid in the box just kept the 24v on to the new plugs and fried them.

Below is a quick video on how I tested my system.

Mark

Thumper580

The injection pump timing could be off (are the hash marks on the IP and the flywheel lined up). Did you replace the control box (smart start system box) with all the other new stuff? Those are all the basic first maintenance items. New fuel filter ?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum!
Like Mark said above it sounds like you are still having some glow plug issues, better to actually troubleshoot rather than just replace parts.

bdhailey

Does she start right up or does it take time cranking?

What is the glow plug light doing during the startup procedure?

If she take her time starting when it's below 60 outside then that is an indication of a start/glow issue. I see you replaced everything but did you test the system on starting? This will let you know if the glow plugs are being energized for the right time and then go into an afterglow mode. Please note not all control boxes have an afterglow mode.

When I was fighting with mine the glow light worked fine had just replaced the glow plugs only to find out the solenoid in the box just kept the 24v on to the new plugs and fried them.

Below is a quick video on how I tested my system.

Mark

Starts right up just pulled all glow plugs tested with battery then checked continuity then checked 24 volts at plug leads all good
75 degrees outside started smoke 15-20 then cleared and ran great 500 miles on motor bought at 100 no problems til 450

bdhailey

Starts right up just pulled all glow plugs tested with battery then checked continuity then checked 24 volts at plug leads all good
75 degrees outside started smoke 15-20 then cleared and ran great 500 miles on motor bought at 100 no problems til 450
Glo plug light on for few seconds then off then start

bdhailey

The injection pump timing could be off (are the hash marks on the IP and the flywheel lined up). Did you replace the control box (smart start system box) with all the other new stuff? Those are all the basic first maintenance items. New fuel filter ?
Thx
Have not replaced control box yet working that way have not checked timing but would it not smoke all the time if timing off Sounds like it misfires a little while smoke clearing then no more after smoke cleared
Thx

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a volt meter on one of the glow plug wires, SEE if the glow plugs get power while the wait light is on.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Even with one bad glow plug, one can get a puff or two of smoke. Two plugs bad and cold, say 50 degrees, Puff Puff or three with a little more white smoke. Simple test is to be familiar with the dash voltmeter. 50 degrees , first time cold start, all plugs heating and with strong batteries...voltmeter will / can take a dip into the red when energized. This assumes all systems go.

IMO timing marks... There is a bit of leeway. Sure properly timed and tuned is the way to go. A lot is going on in the pump. Rusted, busted and gummed up pumps on so called "new low miliage trucks" is nothing new.

Having a microcontroller in a HMMWV "box" just compounds trouble shooting to a new level. 500 mile truck can have 30 year old electronics.

Dash voltmeter is your friend . Learn its response to glow plug action.

Your buddy to dumping the box is Camoteksystems.com (y) CAMO

papakb

I had a problem with a failed cold advance switch that did exactly what your describing with white smoke that goes away as the engine warms up yet it still started OK. Right rear of the engine block easily accessed by removing the inside engine cover.

Bad cold advance switch 1.jpgBad cold advance switch 2.jpg

Gamble

I had this issue until I replaced the control box. Truck would start after a few cranks but I would get lots and lots of white smoke. Troubleshot everything and it boiled down to the control box. I replaced that and the smoke was gone.

Last edited:

papakb

bdhhhailey, +24 volts isn't an indication that your glow plugs are any good. only that they're getting voltage. Measuring resistance is the only good way to test them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks