• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has the Highest Mileage Deuce?

dk8019

I've put nearly 6k miles on my M109 in about a year. We drive it camping pretty often, typical 300 miles out to where we go and then back. I do have to say that the most defect ridden device on these trucks seems to be the tachs and the speedos, any one have any ideas why they are constantly breaking?

jeep-Jeep

I got one out of hillsborro TX that the carnac record said 71680 and that is what the meter said when recovered and it also said it was used until sep 08 .
runs good :wink:

GoHot229

Heres a thought on milage: My Deuce for instance is a 1972 year model, and at that ime I was in the Army. During the early 70's there were ever increasing Oil shortages where our units were advised to limit excess use of fuel which translated into less 'Field manouvers' thus less miles were piled up on the units (MV's). Durring the 80's and 90's there were no majior conflicts where fuel was used unsparingly to my knowledge. With Desert Storm, (Bush #1) there would have been alot of Armor and Cargo units pressed into service which likely used fuel without reguard to consumption = hi-mileage. Other-wise its unlikely that many vehicles were racked up with high mileage. I would pay little heed to the chronometers of the Suport vehicles used in about any of the earlier time frames up until say, the late 90's. It's been pointed out that the Spedo-Tach's were regularily changed with rebuilds so as to make actual mileage and hours simply moot. all that was important was the MPH and RPM, RPM likely the more important of the two. In my case the Deuce came from GL sans the guage cluster, instead an empty hole in the dash where it used to be. That however was replaced with an entire guage cluster and face plate, in Desert Tan to boot! The likleyhood of actual mileage/hours is probably not very high. Another guess is that HQ. outfits would indeed have less miles by virtue of being in the rear much more of the time. It's comical to see ebay adds with one of the selling points that it has low hours and miles, kind of misinformation counting on the average newbe being ignorant of the well known information about the guages.

Bill W

I've noticed that if the speedo and tach are a matched set you should be able to divide the milage by the hours and come out somewhere between 32-36 (mph). I realize there are other factors that could change this outcome but this seems to be the average that I've come across

saddamsnightmare

September 3oth, 2009.

When I got "Saddam's Nightmare" from Bulldog Mack 13 back in October 2007, she had 21350 on the Odometer, and Carnac told me her last military unit put about 800 to 1000 miles on her in her last 5 years of service, the civi owners added a coupla hundred.
She is now at about 28500 to 29000 (speedo cable failed and is being replaced)), so I ran her about 5500 to 6500 miles the first year and about 2000+ this year (low time due to rear main oil seal leak, also getting redone). She does seem to run much better having her fluids checked and changed and in being run regularly. Her depot rebuild was 1989-1990 and she went to Desert Shield Desert Storm with either a QMC or Armor division, and the ood thing was hard top cab-no heater..... for use in a desert?

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Re: Speedo & Tach: When I got her it worked out to 22 to 26 MPH, typical for an on post truck.... just as a footnote!

Josh

in 4 months ive put close to 5k miles on mine. tach has been busted since i got it, but it reads 1800+ hours and the spedo is 44k.

donttreadonmebmg

lol, my M52A2 averaged 33.9 mph and the gages look original. :wink:
mine was rebuilt in 1979, so what ever right.

I've heard one story from a guy that was in the guard. When he was in he was told to go out and start the trucks and would often just let them idle all day and through the night just to run them to "charge the batteries and what not" rarely did they drive them. :neutral:

As for the threads intent.
I've put about 250 miles on it since I bought it. :driver:
I'll change the oil in the spring since I have no idea when its been changed last. looks OK and I've added some new oil to it.
:beer:

Reaper651

I know this is an old thread but my 71 GPD M35a2 shows 1000 hours and 17,600 miles. I can't find one rebuild or MWO tag on it. The engine is a non turbo. Some weird things: the axles and tc are all Rockwell(Ok that's not weird) but the front axle boots are the newer rubber one piece, it does have seatbelts but no MWO tag for them, I think the bed might not be original as it is the 3 color camo(I think), whereas the cab is the MERDC(so I've been told). Either way, the bed camo is different from the cab, it does have an Alternator, I figure it had a generator in the beginning? I guess there is no way to know if the miles and hours are correct, but I do think its strange that there are NO rebuild tags anywhere on the truck. Maybe the tach and speedo are the original ones? I have always wondered if my truck was a base truck that never left the states and spent more time parked on a base somewhere than anything else. Thought I would throw this out there since I have wondered about the miles and hours since I got the truck.

M-1028

That is incredible! An average of 32mph over its life... sounds legit to me. How much of the truck is still original would you guess? Has most everything been overhauled or replaced?
I've rebuilt almost everything, the truck originally ran and drove great, I believe the milage is correct because a lot of things where just wore out. Engine and trans had rebuilt dates of 93. Lots of oil leaks, driveshafts were gone, u joints etc... The frame was rusted really bad which prompted the bob and rebuild. Out of the three trucks I used for the rebuild it still had a bunch of parts that where in near perfect shape.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 55,000 on my truck now. When I bought the truck it showed 23,000 on the odometer. I know I put all those 32,000 miles on it in 5 years. I love driving it!

61sleepercab

My cousin was in the Army 1960's on Korea and had the care of a M109 Deuce and a M105 trailer. He went to the motor pool and requested a quart of oil. The motor pool Sarg chewed his ass and said "how can you need oil for a parked truck?" I cousin grinned and reported....... "Cause I have wiped a quart of oil off the dipstick checking the oil as ordered!" He got his quart of oil without further static.

Sandy the M925 has three triangle tags on the cab door brace , 48,000 miles and 1440 hours. I have put 500 miles of grin time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks