• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who here runs their deuce on JP-8/Contaminated jet fuel?

rdixiemiller

WillWagner said:
wreckerman893 said:
Just don't try to run it on laquer thinner. :cry:
I would think that would burn OK. I did read your thread but can't understand why thinner would eat the gaskets :?
Laquer thinner has xylene, toluene, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl amyl ketone, etc. in the mix. The stuff is ferociously aggressive to most natural, and many synthetic rubber materials. It will eat up polyethylene, nitrile, etc. Only PTFE is completely resistant, EPDM fairly resistant to the stuff.
It will make short work of gaskets and O-rings that were designed for diesel fuel or motor oil.

Poccur

I know I am new here so I have no wish to disagree but.... :)

JP-8 is not Jet A, the specifications are different:

Jet A and Jet A-1 (1950's -present) are the two fuels used by the commercial airlines and both fuels have a 100 deg F
(Min.) flash point temperature for safety reasons. Jet A has a freeze point of -40 deg F whereas Jet A-1 has a freeze
point of -53 deg F.

JP-8 was first introduced at NATO bases in 1978, also called NATO F-34, and is currently the US Air Force's primary
fuel and the primary fuel for US Navy shore-based aviation. JP-8 is very similar to Jet A-1. JP-8, however, contains an
icing inhibitor, corrosion/lubricity enhancer and anti-static additive. Freeze point is -53 deg F.
Conversion to JP-8 was virtually complete by 1995 and was accomplished for fire safety and combat survivability
reasons
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running on JP-8 instead of diesel will require the use of hardened injector pumps (standard on most military vehicles). I wrote a paper on all the diffent types of jet fuels if anyone has an interest....going off to rummage in the attic.....

Cheers

Poccur:)

22b

Is there anyone who has actually used Jet A Jet A1 in THEIR engine, and what were the results? (Not from a friend of a friend or a guy I knew) but from FIRST HAND experience?

shannondeese

I have been running JP8 for years in my Ford with a 7.3 idi when and as I can get it. the Ford loves it. I add a couple of gallons of deisel to it or a qt of oil to the mix for lubricity. I haven't been able to get any for awhile now so I haven't run it in my deuce.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have run about 400 gallons of Jet-A and about 300 gallons of WVO through my 1999 F350 in the last few years. No problems yet....

I did notice that Jet-A will absorb water so you have to watch that. If it's milky looking, it has water in it. I'm not sure how much would be too much.

22b

I have run about 400 gallons of Jet-A and about 300 gallons of WVO through my 1999 F350 in the last few years. No problems yet....

I did notice that Jet-A will absorb water so you have to watch that. If it's milky looking, it has water in it. I'm not sure how much would be too much.

I was curious about adding a lubricant to the JET A JET A1 for the injector pump. Did you do this as well?

tractors0130

I've worked in a refinery for over 20 yrs. and part of that time in the laboratory. The jet fuel that we make, we call ATF (aviation turbine fuel) not to be confused with auto-trans fluid. If it meets the product specs. for ATF (flash, distillation, corrosion, smoke point, freeze point, sulfur, gravity, color, mili-pore, aromatics ect. ) it can also be sold as #1 diesel or #1 Kerosene. It's basically all the same product, just tighter tolerances for the aviation turbine fuel. ATF gets filtered more and a few more additives once at the airline terminals too.

The more sulfur that's pulled out of the diesel or the #1 fuel, the more lubricity that it loses. Normal LSD (low sulfur diesel) has a spec. of 500 ppm sulfur; however the newer ULSD (ultra-low sulfur diesel) has a pump spec. of 15 ppm sulfur or less. The red dye that is added to the off-road diesel is added at a rate of 3.9 lbs. per 1000 gal. , the color intensity is a spec. watched by the IRS.

Yaivenov

Works Great! Just do not get caught with it in your truck. States do not take kindly burning this as someone did not pay road tax.
Fun times. It's pretty cool to see what these old multifuels can handle. So from what I gather #1FO is about as light as you want to go. What's the heaviest it can handle? #4 Fuel Oil? Navy Special or Heavy Bunker Oil(#6 fuel oil)?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fun times. It's pretty cool to see what these old multifuels can handle. So from what I gather #1FO is about as light as you want to go. What's the heaviest it can handle? #4 Fuel Oil? Navy Special or Heavy Bunker Oil(#6 fuel oil)?
Dont know the specs of #4. I would not use #6 as it way to heavy, even cut. Someone who knows more on the #4 should chime in shortly. You can use just about anything combustable. Might have to cut it with diesel or gas to run it though.

There is a list of acceptable fuels in the TM's for the deuce.

tractors0130

Years back we used to make #6 bunker oil at the refinery, it was basically tar thinned out with a lighter oil, very messy and very viscous (a little thicker than honey). It had a very high BTU value; however I wouldn't use it in a diesel, it works good for boilers or steam generators.

tractors0130

Dont know the specs of #4. I would not use #6 as it way to heavy, even cut. Someone who knows more on the #4 should chime in shortly. You can use just about anything combustable. Might have to cut it with diesel or gas to run it though.

There is a list of acceptable fuels in the TM's for the deuce.
I believe that #4 fuel oil is #6 fuel that has been cut or thinned out with #2 diesel. This would also be too thick to try and run through your filters and IP.

Preacherboy

I'm sure TM stands for Technical manual, it has all the information how to run and repair the truck. The military has TM's for everything, probably even computers and printers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks