• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who is running wvo/wmo in there cucv?

jdeoliveira74

Looking to see who is running alt fuels in there cucv's . I have heard mixed reviews some say its good others say the 6.2 doesn'tlike it
feed back would be great !

kentuckycucv

I have been running WVO for several years mixed in with diesel. I am no expert. im more of a mad scientist gambler. I have gotten my soy bean oil from my church picnic. Grace was said over it so Im running Holy oil in my truck. i have a filtration system, filtering down to 10 microns. Recently, this summer I have had some trouble with my truck lacking power. I think it was from running Used motor oil, i think my injectors have some carbon build up on them bc i took one out yesterday and there was some crud over the hole... Anyway when i started out. my truck ran better on veggie oil mix than streight diesel. i dont know why the government is pushing all these crazy things like solar panels and hydrogen batteries when we could run our vehicles on plain ol veggie oil. PS i will continue using veggie oil bc i have 200 gallons of the stuff.

Matt65

Many do with success and savings. There is a ton of intel here on this topic. Below are a few things that come to mind.

I would go no higher than 40% WMO, dropping by 10-20% for the winter depending on your location. If engine looses power or has hard starting, reduce WMO% and run straight diesel. Be sure to FILTER well, and carry an extra filter in your truck. Filter down to 5 microns or smaller before adding to your tank. Remove all water.

Thicker fuel could trigger an IP (injection pump) or lift pump failure if they are reaching the end of their natural life. Make sure your Glow Plugs are in good condition, with a strong starter.

chicagodiesel

That's my plan. I'm going to put a forty gallon behind the rear seat and build it in...add heaters, fuel pressure gauge, fuel temp gauge, and tank toggle switch. Most people recommend not starting on veggie oil or shutting down on it...just starting on diesel and then switching over when veggie is up to temperature (I think 180 or so).

Costs a little more in the end with extra fuel lines, tank, install, heaters, etc...but (as I live in Chicago) is necessary to running effectively without tons of problems. I will probably be doing this next summer as I want to get all of the engine up to snuff before dropping extra cash in. Saves some serious money even if you don't collect yourself. I can get it $1/gallon dewatered and filtered to 5 microns. Not bad compared to $4 a gallon for diesel in the city on a cheap day.

I too would love to hear about any set ups others have that are actually running and not thoughts in their head.

ohfisherman

been using it all summer. got as high as 90% waste oil in summer. a little harder to start when cold. i am back to 25% waste oil now. cleveland weather is crazy this time of year. i am running veggie oil from a cafeteria. i use filter cones from gfs and pour right into my tank.

idM1028

If you can find one for a decent price, you might want to see about finding one of the older Ford pickups with one of the IDI engines (6.9 or pre-powerstroke 7.3) and dual fuel tanks to play/experiment with. Guys love these things because they can top one tank off with straight diesel and the other with veggie oil, WMO, etc. Plus, they also use the DB2 IP (same as the 6.2's) and have about the same compression ratio. Biggest difference is they you can't run them quite as fast as the 6.2's (3,300 RPM vs. 3,600 RPM)

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as my money holds out, I am gonna buy Premium Diesel at the pump and add Penray Fuel Treatment to every tankfull. 2cents

tamecrow

If you can find one for a decent price, you might want to see about finding one of the older Ford pickups with one of the IDI engines (6.9 or pre-powerstroke 7.3) and dual fuel tanks to play/experiment with. Guys love these things because they can top one tank off with straight diesel and the other with veggie oil, WMO, etc. Plus, they also use the DB2 IP (same as the 6.2's) and have about the same compression ratio. Biggest difference is they you can't run them quite as fast as the 6.2's (3,300 RPM vs. 3,600 RPM)

The 6.2 in our trucks is an IDI diesel engine. It wasn't until the Duramax that GM used direct injection.

dmetalmiki

As an aside...the chevies we had (cheyens) HATED any variation in fuel. and...... hot days cold days ..sneezing in the cab..opening a door shutting a door going ANYWHERE Starting up shutting down!....I would NEVER ever buy use or trust a modern computer gizmo controlled vehicle.. PITA all but those chevies.. we spent more time walking than driving. Eventually we got to re-fitting the controlers out front in the grill where they at least kept cool (ish) instead of bolted to the HOT (est) part of the fuel pump! great design that. could not get rid soon enough. (just my experience)s

stampy

Mine runs great on 50% + blended diesel and WVO and a little WMO. Hey Dahlmer Benz ran the first diesel on peanut oil so why not use WVO. I replaced my square filter with a spin on version and it has been much easier since then.

kentuckycucv

I have a webb 525, fuel heater, filter, and water seperator. It is a self cleaning filter.. well you crack a ball valve at the bottom and all the water and junk fall out. it is 30 microns before the stock filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks