• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who knows a knowledgeable Hercules Parts Counter Person?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone stole my Oliver oil filter housing. Anyone seen it? Eye witnesses say the guy threw it in the back of an old yellow army truck he was towing and then fled the area at a high rate of speed. He mentioned something about heading back to Hesperia CA!

JDToumanian

So the spin-ons are smaller in diameter?
The sealing surface diameter is smaller, but you can see that the filter bodies are at least as wide as the cartridge filter housings... take a look at the pics on page one of this thread... there's a shot of the actual Napa 1458 filter.

I'd like to get this installed while I'm on vacation later this month... (I'll also be painting my deuce OD w/ stars on this vacation 8) ...stencils are on order from Rick Larsen.) I'll need a new oil cooler gasket, and also the gasket that goes between the housing and the block. There are some o-rings in there, too. Will I need to buy a complete engine gasket set to get this stuff?

It looks like I need to remove the injection lines to remove the old housing and install the new one on the block... Is there anything else I need to know? Of course I'll replace the short coolant hoses while I'm in there.

Jon

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon, where'd you get that?? There is a guy on e-bay who has complete overhaul gasket sets for $200 buy it now, he raised the price, I got mine for $150. They have everything, new style h. gaskets, front and rear seals, pan gasket, everything with NSN labels on them. Antelope wants $325 and addirondak Dodge wants $295.

JDToumanian

I got it at Worthington Ag Parts. I had to call a few different locations, they have yards in several states... Some White tractors were missing their engines, others were selling the engine complete as a running take-out and did not want to pull the filter housing off. I finally found one that had a parts engine... Maybe the same place Lee called? I paid $250. They looked up the price in a computer database of parts shared by dozens of different tractor wrecking companies, I doubt it could be found any cheaper due to this price-fixing scheme... But I figured my $11,000 tax return that's been burning a hole in my pocket could fund a frivolous expenditure or two. 8)

I'll give Antelope a call. Maybe they have an incomplete gasket set that they sell individual pieces out of? Otherwise, I guess the eBay route is the way to go? I'd hate to spend another $200+ to get $20 worth of gaskets...

Jon

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon,

I just replaced my oil filter housing with a stock one. (Thanks once again to Kenny (r4x4) !!!My original had a crack in the casting around one of bypass threaded pipe plugs.
You will need three flat gaskets, and two o-rings. I got only the gaskets needed from Memphis (they had every thing in stock) and was reasonable too. I can go find the part numbers / prices if you want.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Would it really be that hard to make your own gasket? Nothing but oil pressure and temp. to worry about right?

JDToumanian

Thanks Jeff, but I just got a complete gasket set on eBay... I already talked myself into it! I figure my pan gasket is leaking, and I'd like to pound out a dent while I have it off. Also my valve cover gaskets could stand to be replaced. That and the oil cooler gaskets and o-rings, the rest will be spare parts for now, but you never know when a head gasket will need to be done. I'll have everything in stock.

Jon

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
Would it really be that hard to make your own gasket? Nothing but oil pressure and temp. to worry about right?
Well Gimp, You know I normally don't shy away from fabricating just about anything :wink: - but it's all about time vs. money. The intricate gasket shown below was $2.89 from Memphis Equip. It was an easy decision for me.

Attachments

jatonka

Hello Steel Soldiers, I haven't got a price on the adaptors yet, I have to run them a while longer to be sure and we will post as soon as available. I bought one of the spin-on filter base housings in Ohio this past summer, It helped me figure this adaptor plan out. Jon, you will be using Napa 1458s on that base. Or Hastings LF433 or what ever else you find to that spec. The anti drainback feature really helps oil pressure build quicker. John T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks