• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who really made your Deuce???

BlizzardX23

Mainly...I'd like to say in confidence that I own an AM General M35A2 (when in reality...Im an ignorant ******* because its truly a Kaiser...or AMC)....or Vise Versa lol

Would be like someone calling their Dodge Stealth a Mitsubishi 3000GT

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, GL doesn't know. 2nd, If you look at the order of company transfers, it is pretty obvious, who took over who. Last, the truck items DID change. They're minor mods and you will see it after seeing deuces for awhile- (rounded fenders,offset wipers, heater intake locations, firewall indents etc, etc, etc,).

BlizzardX23

All those links did...was add to the confusion and uncertainty lol

but...according to this from Doyle...I unfortunately have a Kaiser Jeep

Although I have compiled the data on literally thousands of deuces, I do not have enough data amassed yet to feel comfortable publishing a "master list"

The most common vehicles in the collector market came from the South Bend plant.

Those that begin with M are broken out earlier. Those that came from Kaiser-Jeep can be broadly broken out as follows. SN beginning with 06 and up were made by AM General. Those with a SN beginning with 04 and down were built by Kaiser-Jeep. 05 is the tough one, and could be Kaiser-Jeep, General Products Division or AM General.

I am getting closer to being able to break those out with a chart, but am not there yet.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

Since my SN starts with 04

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't be dissaponted. KJ is just fine! Most of the old timers know my desire. I want a Curtiss Wright or Utica Bend chassis and original data plate so I can put all the components off my M35A2C on it. Consider it vanity!

zak

So Kenny in reading this link I can almost be certain that my 1953 with a serial # of M311xxx is a Studebaker. It came from GL witha newer rear box( rust and dent free, fresh paint). The trans and transfer had 88 Mead rebuild tags and a Hercules D turbo. New wiring harness and front sheet metal. All the axels had 53 dates stamped into them.. no tags. Cheif 919 when he was filling in for Carnac came up with the year for mfg as 1953 with 8705 usage miles. But no manufacturer. It now has 9200 miles showing. Gl insisted in calling it an Am General. It fell on deaf ears when I told them AM General didn't exist in 1953.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct Larry! Only one or two exceptions to the M prefix rule. My M108 VIN is M307XX and has the original Data plate. Its a 53 Stude.

ranchhopper

Kenny GL just sold a 57 utica-bend in eastover a couple months ago.CARNAC helped me get the year as being a 1953 studebker on the first truck VIN M31239 and David doyle let me know my second is a 1963 studebaker-packard VIN M61659.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny GL just sold a 57 utica-bend in eastover a couple months ago.CARNAC helped me get the year as being a 1953 studebker on the first truck VIN M31239 and David doyle let me know my second is a 1963 studebaker-packard VIN M61659.
Yeah, they are still out there. Getting one that has already been repowered would be easiest but the clowns at the depots remove the original data plates and put new ones on. My goal in MV life is to find an old gasser with a nice frame and matching data plate that someone sold the axles out from under. With a frame and an original matching data plate, I'll get the truck I want.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was made by Americans in America.
YUP - EVERY one of these trucks was made in AMERICA, by AMERICAN companies for the AMERICAN armed forces (although some were later ditributed worldwide).

On every truck there are the fingerprints, the blood, sweat, and tears of many a worker who kept in his or her mind the fact that they were producing for the greatest fighting forces in the world the BEST piece of equipment that they could provide them.

These trucks are also covered with the prayers of those workers who, in spite of any possible corporate-political wranglings, asked GOD ALMIGHTY to bless their work toward the victory of our troops in whatever conflict they were engaged at the time.

Gentlemen and ladies, these MVs represent American inginuity, American labor, American patriotism, and the very essence of what has made America great, and will continue to bind this country together in spite of what "politics" might do to undermine those divinely providential fundamentals of America.

I thank GOD that they were always AMERICAN MADE 2cents

BlizzardX23

YUP - EVERY one of these trucks was made in AMERICA, by AMERICAN companies for the AMERICAN armed forces (although some were later ditributed worldwide).

On every truck there are the fingerprints, the blood, sweat, and tears of many a worker who kept in his or her mind the fact that they were producing for the greatest fighting forces in the world the BEST piece of equipment that they could provide them.

These trucks are also covered with the prayers of those workers who, in spite of any possible corporate-political wranglings, asked GOD ALMIGHTY to bless their work toward the victory of our troops in whatever conflict they were engaged at the time.

Gentlemen and ladies, these MVs represent American inginuity, American labor, American patriotism, and the very essence of what has made America great, and will continue to bind this country together in spite of what "politics" might do to undermine those divinely providential fundamentals of America.

I thank GOD that they were always AMERICAN MADE 2cents

Very good point!!!!

Now I have an argument towards the guys that says Japanese or German is better built...and US is ****...

I have an American built truck that can go under water...and take the abuse of war...can your civic do that? ;)

Big_S

The first are made by Reo at the same time as the M135/M211 series by GMC was made. Reo can´t made large numbers and Studebaker start to produce too. As I know Utica-Bend and Curtiss-Wright are Subcontractors of Studebaker. White starts the production afer the take over of Reo.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread resurrection!

I am probably not the only forum participant to own both a Studebaker car and a few deuces built at the South Bend, Indiana plant.

Does anyone have a more precise history of the production of the physical plant? That may be another way to look at the history of the deuce, there in South Bend.

Rick

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my data plate says Kaiser Jeep, that's good enough for me. So to me that means I own two Jeeps, one is a 2010, and one is a 1972. Both made in the USA!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Err, actually there are some that were assembled overseas from components made in the USA during the Vietnam era (and I don't mean the Kia KM250 near clones of the M35A2). Of course, the same thing was done in vast quantities during WWII with a variety of military vehicles.

Regards,
David Doyle
www.DavidDoyleBooks.com