• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why are green or camo cargo covers so hard to find?

Mike O

I've finally decided that I'd like to put a cargo cover on my Deuce and didn't expect any problems finding a standard green or camo vinyl cover. Surprise! All I can find are desert tan or white. Where did all the green ones go? I'm headed to Idaho Motor Pool on Wednesday to buy bows and a tan cover. I sure hope it doesn't look terrible on my camo truck. I'd also like to get a cover for my M105A2 trailer and I see Saturn has them listed. Not sure what color they are. Might look even more strange with a green trailer cover and a tan truck cover!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are getting hard to find as most of the manufactures are not making them anymore. And the government isn't buying them.

Why make something for a discontinued item when your contract has expired?

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm surprised noone is making them anymore. Most places that do large-scale sewing or fabrication have "patterns" that are kept on file as "available" if someone orders one. This is especially true with stuff that is hand-made, i.e. not mass-produced on a machine. If someone places the order, someone just looks up the pattern, and makes an item. If I were the previous mfr., I'd keep the pattern around forever in case someone wants to buy one.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GMA Cover Corp still makes them. They just wait till they get enough to do so. I'd call and add my name to the list.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I would not settle for a tan cover if that is not what I wanted on my truck. You'll find one...and the GMA suggestion above is a good one.

m816

The best source for canvas green tarps is New life Canvas, Hands down. Lately I've been using the vynl one piece cargos covers in the camo. I like them even better than canvas. They are lighter and the military has stopped using canvas .So unless you need canvas to be period corect, I would go with the vynl. I think the vynl can be spray painted any color you want.

Mike O

Vinyl is what I want, not canvas. Does anyone know what the cost from GMA will be? I tried to call them but didn't get an answer. Will try again tomorrow. I have to make an 8 hour one way drive to pick up the bows, corners and uprights and he has the new tan vinyl covers as well for $350. Hate to drive out there and not get one, then find out later I can't get a green one. Thinking I will get the tan one for now then get on the waiting list at GMA.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vinyl is what I want, not canvas. Does anyone know what the cost from GMA will be? I tried to call them but didn't get an answer. Will try again tomorrow. I have to make an 8 hour one way to drive to pick up the bows, corners and uprights and he has the new tan vinyl covers as well for $350. Hate to drive out there and not get one, then find out later I can't get a green one. Thinking I will get the tan one for now then get on the waiting last at GMA.
You know the 3 colors are painted right?

Mike O

You know the 3 colors are painted right?
Yes, but I believe they are painted over a green cover, not a tan one. Not sure how well paint would adhere if I tried to paint the entire cover. I've seen a couple of camo trucks running around with tan cab tops and they didn't look too funny.

Bill W

After about a year of looking I finally found a guy not 50 miles from me that said he had 5 green vinyl cargo covers for the deuce, turned out all 5 were for 5 tons, He than said he had 2 green canvas ones which were for a deuce and I settled for one of those ( $300 ). Even though I wanted vinyl I'll admit I do like the way my barn smells when I walk into it now

gunboy1656

I have been looking for a camo vinyl cover, but have come to like the looks of my green canvas more. Seems to hold up better.

My canvas is 15 years old (most of that it was not on a truck) and now starting to get holes in it.

tuckered

Years ago (OK, mid-80's) our units had canvas covers on the trucks but trailers had vinyl covers only. By far, our vinal covers weren't worth a sguat! Always, always becoming tattered, particulary when cold. Seem they stiffened when cold, broke really easy when we tried to open cold tarps or broke while trying to install/remove. Has that changed now?

As far as the colors. It was just a matter of what we spray painted them with. All were OD green from the start, camo when finished.

DieselBob

I was hoping that a enterprising vendor might put together a group buy sense this topic comes up every couple of months. Use the power of business to business discounts and volume shipping rates. One of the problems would be who needs complete kits and who needs just covers. Covers only are much easier for the manufacture to produce and package for shipment.