• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

why bob

85cucvM1009

Ok, guys is the only place to get info. My names Mark and I've been around, in, driven, and worked on must military trucks and equipment since I was old enough to hold tools.

Just got one question for you guys with deuces. Why are you bobbing them?

I see no point in it, your cutting up two good trucks to make one. That's lost it 6x6 capability
that's like buying a Hemtt and taking 4 of the wheels off. You just have an over size pickup truck that's unstable.

For the people are out there who wanna keep military trucks original or who are trying
to get into the hobby there wont be a lot of them left cause there getting cut up to make one.

Thank you
Mark

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly. Not to mention, cutting one axle off you lose the "pusher" axle that helps power you through rough spots when offroad. All the deuces I've seen at rallies that get stuck in the easy stuff, always seem to be the bobbed trucks.

On one hand, it's the owner's trucks, they can do with it as they please. On the other hand, what you said.

I see no point in bobbed deuces. Or 5-tons. Just me, my two cents, I can spend it as I wish.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. Sometimes it beats the homeowners assn. Perhaps easier for grocery trips. Increased tirenlife. Lots of reasons for those who need it.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For offroad, i will put my bobbed truck up aganist ANY 6x6, you will lose. I can out maneuver and drive through the worse of it to only pull your 6x6 out.

Attachments

85cucvM1009

Sorry steve6x6x6 I dont agree to a piont yes a bobbed can turn tighter shorter wheel base but out proform a 6x6 no way I've been in a 5 ton 923a2 and had the ft bumber in the mud and got out by locking the ft axle and pulled a milvan though the mud with a 923a2 too no way a bobbed would be capable of doing that.

DieselBob

Also some states treat any 3 axle vehicle as commercial, no matter the weight or use so it is a way around the CDL B.S. and they are less expensive and more available than a M37 or M715. 2cents

rebelqwes87

I know for a fact my bobber went through places that a 6x6 got stuck in at the Ga Rally. I also know that my bobber didn't go places that some 6x6's went. Having said that, who says you have to cut up two good trucks? Many parts that go to build bobbers come from trucks that otherwise would go to the scrapper. I'll never understand why somebody knocks the way anybody builds their truck. If anything they are being saved from the scrapyard. We are all enjoying green iron, we might as well make it work the way we want it to!

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know for a fact my bobber went through places that a 6x6 got stuck in at the Ga Rally. I also know that my bobber didn't go places that some 6x6's went. Having said that, who says you have to cut up two good trucks? Many parts that go to build bobbers come from trucks that otherwise would go to the scrapper. I'll never understand why somebody knocks the way anybody builds their truck. If anything they are being saved from the scrapyard. We are all enjoying green iron, we might as well make it work the way we want it to!
Very well said, i see it the same way.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my deuces and M931A2 because they have 6 wheels. That is part of the cool factor for me.

With that said, if you buy it, you own it, and you have the right to do with it as you may. If people believe trucks or anything should be preserved, then they should save, buy and preserve it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've come full circle!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember that a similar platform to the bobber was wildly successful in WWII. The Chevy 1 1/2 ton. I also fail to see where 2 trucks are required for losing the 2nd rear axle. The DOD did examine the possibility of the single axle deuce in the form of the XM381. In the end they thought it was best for them to keep the 6x6. Deuces are not the ultimate off roader many believe. What they are is an excellent compromise between off and on road cargo and troop movement. I see no problem in this mod but just like every other post on the subject, it's an opinion.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve 6x6x6 you did a great job on your build but don't you also have lockers front and rear. Most of the bobed Deuces I have seen don't even have lockers in the rear.

rustystud

Just to stir the pot. In the seventies when the pipeline in Alaska was being built I was working at IHC in Seattle. We sent many trucks up there. The most asked for was the 5000 series "PayStar" all steel body heavy duty 6X6 with lockers in all axles. These riggs could go through the really nasty permafrost junk. Your bobbed deuce would just sink away in that crap Steve. I don't want a flame war here just stating facts. I personally want to build a bobbed deuce sometime. I think they look real cool !!! But as far as performance in extreme conditions, a 6X6 with all lockers would be the best choice, as the people in Alaska found out. It's a matter of foot print. A dozer with wide swamp tracks will go through really nasty crap, while the same dozer with standard tracks will sink. The longer deuce with more footprint will go through really nasty stuff while the shorter wheel-base bobbed deuce with only 4 tires (smaller footprint) will sink. As far as going in the woods and twisting around trees and stumps and other obstacles, yes the shorter wheel based bobbed deuce will rule. When I still ran my Scout II , I could out maneuver any full size truck and most Broncos too !!! But in the mud bogs I would sink out of sight ! Have the pictures to prove it too !! Took a dozer to get me out once !!!
Also, has anyone seen the new 4X4 trucks the military is running now ? There are as long as the old deuce but only 2 axles. The key here is LONG wheel base.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve has alot of axle clearance where maybe a Deuce 6X6 on 900 ndt's would be a lot lower and have to push more mud out of the way or just drag the truck down and then Steve would walk on buy. I do know my USMC 816 6x6 with super singles and lockers in rear does real well but my weight might get me if it is a deep bottom and I dig it in or the mud is not soupy and my tires won't clear the cleats. Here Steve might walk on buy me or maybe not. I have a no-spin in the box and if I could get myself together I would like to put it in the front of the USMC 816 and see how she does. I also always try to keep a open diff. level if I can.

Now to the question on why bob. I do like a 6x6 in the mud and a bobber to strut in town to get the looks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks