• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

why bob

PaFarmer

The OP has an opinion but it is based at least in part on a misimpression. I built a bobbed deuce. I used springs and hangers from a 105. I did not cut up two trucks, but I did cut up a trailer.

I ran it at Rausch Creek and around my farm. It worked fine. In the woods the shorter wheelbase and overall length was a benefit. The green trails we ran, it was no less capable than the stock deuce. There is a tool for every task.

I think they look cool, but i sold mine with in six months of bobbing it.

As to the off-road wheeling ability of a bobbed deuce, I have not been impressed by any I have seen. They all get about the same flex from the frame as they get from the suspension. Then again wheeling jeeps, a mog and a buggy, it takes a lot to impress me.

Section8

Sigh.....
The continued argument of bobbed over stock.
Yes stock is better for mud and goop. Bobbed is better at tight turn and rough terrain.
You wanna mud bog leave it stock. Wanna rock crawl, Bob.
What it all comes down to is owner preference and intended use.
If you don't like the look of one, want one or the other then don't read the threads of what doesn't interest you and stick to your preferred style.
The endless raining on another man's parade is getting pointless. Both styles of trucks, bobbed or stock, have their good points and the owners have their reasons for wanting them.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the question of what will get stuck when the other won't, it all depends on what you are trying to cross.

There is an old Army Mobility Study video out there (youtube probably?) that shows interesting results. It takes various vehicles including M151, M37, deuce 6x6, 5-ton 6x6, 8x8 (M656), and tracked vehicles across various terrains. The results were sometimes surprising.

On a damp, leafy forest hill, all the vehicles including the track failed to climb it. Except the M151, which ran up it like a cat.

There were several terrains where the tracked vehicle excelled, some it failed to negotiate.

The lake stopped everything except the ampibs!

The 8x8 M656 seemed to be the most capable terrain crosser of the wheeled vehicles, but not in all situations.

Cheers

mikey

I would never bob a deuce. But when you buy a deuce, you own it and can do whatever you want to it. If you can't afford to get into the hobby because of bobbed deuces, then you simply cannot afford the hobby. Find another hobby.

I'm more upset about the thousands of good running deuces that went right from the GL lot to the scrapper than I am about bobbers.

Mikey

61sleepercab

There is room for everyone to have the green iron of his choice in the drive way ( if no HOA) . It is like the antique car shows, some guys with big bucks have the shiny new cars with better running gear and paint than original..... and they look down at the rat roder who uses leftovers to build a car that gets him from A to B as fast as possible and as loud and low as can be. We need to save what we can from the junk yard...... I saved 4 B Model Macks from the scrappers, two run and the other saved an engine for a fellow owner. So 3 trucks saved and one frame and cab to build a fourth left. Enjoy each others creations and share to keep stuff rolling. Mark

rustystud

What's with all this "Kumbiya" lets get along stuff ! Lets have a good rant ! LOL !!! Sometimes it's just fun to poke fun at each other. Or not ! I do take exception to M813rc remarks about the only vehicle making it up the hill was a M151 ! As a ex Marine Tanker I know my "M60A1 Rise Passive" could conquer almost any hill !!! OHH RAHH Marines !!!
As far as saving vehicles from the scrapper, I just heard a dreadful story. There is a guy here in Washington that has scrapped over "100" M800 and M900 series trucks in the last year !!! It was all sent to China !!!!
After talking with him I felt sick to my stomach !!!! What a waste !!!! and sent to China !!!!!

K5Cruz

On the question of what will get stuck when the other won't, it all depends on what you are trying to cross.

There is an old Army Mobility Study video out there (youtube probably?) that shows interesting results. It takes various vehicles including M151, M37, deuce 6x6, 5-ton 6x6, 8x8 (M656), and tracked vehicles across various terrains. The results were sometimes surprising.

On a damp, leafy forest hill, all the vehicles including the track failed to climb it. Except the M151, which ran up it like a cat.

There were several terrains where the tracked vehicle excelled, some it failed to negotiate.

The lake stopped everything except the ampibs!

The 8x8 M656 seemed to be the most capable terrain crosser of the wheeled vehicles, but not in all situations.

Cheers

I'd really love to see this. Does anyone have a link? I'm not using the right terms in my search.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My turn. I personally don't like the bobbers, just my opinion.

HOWEVER.....when I saw WillFreeman's truck, I stopped in my tracks. I saw it here at the NC rally this year and it was/is a beautiful truck. The Goodyears are the perfect size and the duals look great. The execution is incredible.

This is the only one, that I personally so far would want. As far as others, your truck, your money.

Will Bobber.jpg

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I helped a friend bob his 923. In the middle of the job he said "if anyone wants to do this, have him call me first!". I respect what all of you have done. It takes a lot of work and dedication. Most of the conversions look really nice. There are always trade-offs; benefits to bobbed and 6x6. I used to not like what I saw at car shows because old cars were cut down and modified in many ways with the almost always predictable Chevy small block for power. My thought was what a waste of a car that is rapidly becoming completely unobtainable to be preserved in their original condition. On the other hand it has been preserved, just with the meticulous work and imagination of an owner. So, I have learned to respect both situations.
Which truck will go through what depends on conditions as stated elsewhere. ANYTHING can be stuck under the right conditions. Most of the body lifting is done for tire clearance only. It does not help in the mud or snow. It is the axles dragging that stop you. Given a 6x6 and a 4x4 with the same single tires, the 6x6 will excel because of footprint and because the first rear axle has cleared some of the muck allowing the rear a better traction surface. I take the outer wheels off my 6x6 trucks for really serious mud or snow. The duals load up and push in the muck and push too much snow.
To each his own art! There will be plenty of original deuces around for a long time!
Regards Martin Sacks

Merc1973

What's with all this "Kumbiya" lets get along stuff ! Lets have a good rant ! LOL !!! Sometimes it's just fun to poke fun at each other. Or not ! I do take exception to M813rc remarks about the only vehicle making it up the hill was a M151 ! As a ex Marine Tanker I know my "M60A1 Rise Passive" could conquer almost any hill !!! OHH RAHH Marines !!!
As far as saving vehicles from the scrapper, I just heard a dreadful story. There is a guy here in Washington that has scrapped over "100" M800 and M900 series trucks in the last year !!! It was all sent to China !!!!
After talking with him I felt sick to my stomach !!!! What a waste !!!! and sent to China !!!!!
:x Thanks, I lost my appetite.

Not a bobber fan here, as most are ugly to me and just wrong with regards to military history. IMO, the only acceptable bobbers are the long wheelbase jobs. Whatever floats your boat or deuce.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why build a "bobb'd" truck?
It's an easy decision when you have multiple trucks versus only a single unit.
I take them everywhere. I drive them on city streets that are marked 5 ton limit. I parallel park on city streets between cars. I park between the soccer mom's van and the silver haired grandmother's Buicks at the grocery store. I take them to auctions in the neighboring state where they are working hard at writing citations for 3 axle trucks that do not have IFTA stickers. They have their uses.
Historically there are a few there, the XM381, although not looking like most of the "home built" ones we are used to seeing on here. When I mount the correct wheels/tires on one of mine there is a close resemblance to a XM381. If I had a good M135 bed I still would not cut it up as they are rare in decent usable condition. A running/driving bobb'd truck is still more honorable than being in a mountain of Chinese scrap metal.

Attachments

rustystud

Why build a "bobb'd" truck?
It's an easy decision when you have multiple trucks versus only a single unit.
I take them everywhere. I drive them on city streets that are marked 5 ton limit. I parallel park on city streets between cars. I park between the soccer mom's van and the silver haired grandmother's Buicks at the grocery store. I take them to auctions in the neighboring state where they are working hard at writing citations for 3 axle trucks that do not have IFTA stickers. They have their uses.
Historically there are a few there, the XM381, although not looking like most of the "home built" ones we are used to seeing on here. When I mount the correct wheels/tires on one of mine there is a close resemblance to a XM381. If I had a good M135 bed I still would not cut it up as they are rare in decent usable condition. A running/driving bobb'd truck is still more honorable than being in a mountain of Chinese scrap metal.
AMEN to that !!! By the way I found out China is building 3 aircraft carriers !!! Can you guess what all that metal they are buying up is going for !!! All our precious Military trucks going to build Chinese aircraft carriers !!!
So keep it original or Bob it, but keep it here in America !!!!

armytruck63

I personally am not a fan of bobbers, but everyone is free to do whatever they want with their truck.

I do hate to see someone cut up a rarer truck, like an M36A2 or a M211. If you're going to cut up something, please consider cutting up something common.

red

Personal opinion I think the 3rd axle is what makes a deuce, a deuce. With that being said for the bobbers it's their truck, build it how you want and the way you want it. Anything is better than what we did with them in Utah at the demolition range. They are used as targets up there for aircraft doing bombing/strafing runs.

because it's mine and I can do what ever I want with it, that's why. For those of you with no imagination or means to create something with some personal flare, drive a stock, slow, noisy, turd Deuce like the other 40,000 guys
Ok, guys is the only place to get info. My names Mark and I've been around, in, driven, and worked on must military trucks and equipment since I was old enough to hold tools. Just got one question for you guys with deuces. Why are you bobbing them?I see no point in it, your cutting up two good trucks to make one. That's lost it 6x6 capabilitythat's like buying a Hemtt and taking 4 of the wheels off. You just have an over size pickup truck that's unstable.For the people are out there who wanna keep military trucks original or who are tryingto get into the hobby there wont be a lot of them left cause there getting cut up to make one.Thank you Mark

Ok this is one thing that extremely irritates me. It's my truck, my money, and my time. Keep your opinion to yourself (which alot of you have done). If you don't like it keep walking or eye roll and scroll. I personally hate when people say "oh you neutered your deuce" and "you ruined a perfectly good truck". I used a m105 for my springs and only that. I've gone over my truck front to back top to bottom and that's more then most have done to their trucks.

Both have good and bad points. For me I wanted a bobber since I saw one. There isn't another out there like mine either. Some may be close but no where near the same. I love Steve's truck and next year I'll be fully locked as well. I'd put my truck up against a bobber any day in mud or rocks and I do believe it will do just as well.

Personally I think a regular 6x6 is boring. Add some custom flare to it make it yours and most importantly DO NOT KNOCK OTHER PEOPLE'S TRUCKS! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BLOOD SWEAT TEARS AND TIME THEY HAVE PUT INTO IT! I take it as a punch to the face! So show some respect!

Attachments

Last edited:

mikey

Ok this is one thing that extremely irritates me. It's my truck, my money, and my time. Keep your opinion to yourself (which alot of you have done). If you don't like it keep walking or eye roll and scroll. I personally hate when people say "oh you neutered your deuce" and "you ruined a perfectly good truck". I used a m105 for my springs and only that. I've gone over my truck front to back top to bottom and that's more then most have done to their trucks.

Both have good and bad points. For me I wanted a bobber since I saw one. There isn't another out there like mine either. Some may be close but no where near the same. I love Steve's truck and next year I'll be fully locked as well. I'd put my truck up against a bobber any day in mud or rocks and I do believe it will do just as well.

Personally I think a regular 6x6 is boring. Add some custom flare to it make it yours and most importantly DO NOT KNOCK OTHER PEOPLE'S TRUCKS! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BLOOD SWEAT TEARS AND TIME THEY HAVE PUT INTO IT! I take it as a punch to the face! So show some respect!
Blood, sweat and tears? You forgot to mention how much BEER went into bobbing that!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks