• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why do you love your deuce?

koolex11

Obviously I'm new to SS, and I started out just as a civilian high school teacher looking for a good deal on a utility trailer. I have found so much more on this site.

Although I am nervous about creating this thread because you may just talk me into buying one, curiosity is getting the better of me. Why is there such an obsession with the deuce?

I know that hobbies are often hard to explain (I once spent a summer tying my own trout flies) so I guess I would just like a "top 5 reasons to own a deuce."

This should be interesting!:)

wiggall

First off PEPLE HERE GET THE ____ OUT OF THE WAY, also it is a HEAD TURNER, and you can haul a nice load of fire wood, compost, gravel, and anuthing else that needs to be hauled!

midcounty

5- because you will be the envy of all your neighbors, especially the kids
4- awsome for hauling things you just can't move with a pickup
3- it makes a really nice offroad vehicle
2- the chics dig it
and number one - it's just plain cool!!!!!

Seriously, when you go for a ride in it and nearly every little kid you pass drops their jaw and waves, it's worth it. I have gone to car shows and been surrounded by very expensive street rods, only for people to linger around the Deuce in amazement and full of questions.

mattg2448

Well, almost every one of my teachers love it, and the rest of the teachers bring it up in conversation somehow(which is all hear say..) It is a head turner, and is absolutely fun to drive!

mikey

I am still in disbelief over how much fun you can buy for $2k. I feel like I stole something from the government. A giant (for me) 10 wheel drive truck that can haul, perform well offroad, and yet is classy enough to take to car shows and parades. There is something about driving down the road wit that turbo diesel engine and loud exhaust that once you experience it, you'll be hooked for life.

As others have stated, if you enjoy attention, there is no shortage of it when you own a deuce. As a former Marine, I've met so many other former Marines and service members that I would never have had the opportunity to meet were it not for the deuce. I've met three former service members in my neighborhood alone. Guys I've been saying hi to for years and never knowing they served.

I bought my last ATV in 2010 for $5k. I bought two deuces for $4k. It's like robbery. I'm a bad man.

Mikey

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a piece of American History.

The people that come along with this hobby are great.

It is different than any other vehicle.

It's affordable.

I enjoy working on things(lmechanical)

Srjeeper

k11,

There's almost as many reasons as there are deuces. I like the fact that I can own a piece of military history, use it when the opportunity presents itself and have it bring me and other people many fond memories.

I'd say the deuce is as easily recognizable a piece of military equipment as the M1 helmet. When folks see it they all seem to get a bit of a smile. More times than not someone will come up and start a conversation which nearly always leads into there deuce tale from years gone by.

There's just something about the way a deuce looks, just like the way a MJ Jeep looks that just makes people happy.

It's as American Military as apple pie...get yourself one and you'll see..2cents

PUZZLED

I stumbled upon the Deuce craze looking around on the internet for surplus brass to reload. Switched gears from buying brass to buying my 67 A2 real quick.

5. It looked mean as **** and i had to have one w/ the price being so nice
4. I get free used Transmission fluid from work so it doesn't cost me a dime to fuel
3. My wife has been wanting a Jeep since i sold her Rubicon a few years ago
2. The nostalgia of driving it and feeling the pride of being an American
1. It will make you smile uncontrolably

There are plenty of reasons to have a Deuce, but i'm still trying to figure out which one will work on my wife for having MORE THAN ONE :razz:

Cleptomaniac

I only have one problem with mine! My wife said they had to fit in the driveway!!! And I live in a residential neighborhood:( So I can only fit one :( Thinking of parking some at my parents. Or selling the minivan and getting the family a CUCV ;)

midcounty

I only have one problem with mine! My wife said they had to fit in the driveway!!! And I live in a residential neighborhood:( So I can only fit one :( Thinking of parking some at my parents. Or selling the minivan and getting the family a CUCV ;)
Basically what I did. Sold my Mustang GT and bought a couple M1009s. Trying to figure out where to park a M818 with trailer next, as I really want one of them to.

cyamaha2007

I really like mine since my grandpa remembers ridding in it in the war. He smiles so big when we look at pictures or go for a ride. All the townies and even the police love to sit in it while i fill it up. They also like hearing about how it will run on any old oil if i clean it. Also its freakin B.A. Dont go to a ss rally unles your ready to buy one lol haspen had me really hooked. Its neat to be able to help out when it floods, have a bad snow, or lots of wind damage.

Flyingvan911

Look up the "Uses for deuces" thread. Also look up "You might be a deuce owner if..." thread. That will be all the reason you need. These trucks are so useful and fun. They are very well built and if you take care of them the will outlast any civi vehicle on the road.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its easier to chalk up reasons not to own one.
I built mine, literally. I took a cab and chassis and put in a motor, installed a bed, went through the axles, installed charter bus seats, installed the winch kit, found the hemtt bows to use with the FMTV cover, moded hemtt rims for the 395s, located an air assist kit to help guide the truck, lighting all the way around, and I'm sure I missed a few other things.
I take great pride in my truck and the friendships I have made on this site.

aaron379

i love semi trucks and 4 wheeling, so this is the 2 in one so it perfect for me and also its a head turner and lil kids love it and give u the blow ur horn hand motion but when i blow my train horn it scares them to death at first then tey run out to the road to hear it again next time

willey10

Having a few MV's keeps the neighbors on there own property and they go out of there way to be nice.they don't wanna make waves with the guy up that lane with the MV's !!