• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why I need an elbow on my air inlet mushroom!

houdel

Take a look at the photo below of my Deuce. Between the morning of Friday, 12/01/06 and the afternoon of Monday, 12/04/06 we received 16" of snow (ask me about "Lake Effect Snow").

I decided to fire up the Deuce and take it for my first ride in the snow. The air temp was about 15F and the overnight low had gone down to about 5F, so the engine was pretty cold, and I don't have a working cold start system. My truck is equipped with an ether start system, but the ether cylinder is empty and I can't find a replacement, but after about 10 seconds on cranking and one false start she was running smoothly.

My trip was SCARY! NDCC tires SUCK in the snow. Pulling out of my driveway, normally a simple 90 degree turn, almost ended up with me in the ditch on the other side of the road! As I pulled out of the driveway with the front wheel turned full right, the truck plowed straight ahead across the road almost to the other side of the road before the front tires got some grip and started me turning. I stopped with the front tires on the far shoulder and the truck 45 degrees across the road. I cranked the front hard left and was able to back up and get the truck straightened out in the roadway.

It was kind of like driving a 2WD ATV in deep snow. The rear end pushes the vehicle in a straight line even though the front wheels are turned until the front wheels finally get some grip and turn the vehicle. I soon learned that I had to start my turn about 20' earlier than I would on a dry road to make up for the lag in getting the front end to turn. Stopping was pretty scary also. Needless to say, my first trip was very slow and very short!

In all fairness to the Deuce, I still had 50 PSI in the tires and although the plow trucks had been through a couples of times they had not sanded or salted. Since this was a weekend, the plow trucks hadn't been through very many times so the road was covered with a couple of inches of hard packed snow and ice with a couple of inches of fresh snow on top to boot so it was VERY slippery! My front wheel drive Venture mini van didn't do much better, the traction control system was engaged most of the time when I was driving it.

Next trip I'll air down to 35 PSI and try a trip in fresh snow before it gets packed down hard! BTW, I did close up my grille cover after taking the picture.

Attachments

67Beast

Lee, you need a nice warm motorpool to keep your deuce in. I recently this fall added a 16'x40' addition to my already 30'x40' garage just so I had an extra bay to keep the deuce cozy for the winter. It pictured behind the deuce in the shot I posted the other day here.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I once was able to turn the front wheels on one of my deuces lock to lock, while stationary, with one finger - convinced me that NDCC at full inflation without chains are NOT the thing for driving on ice.

moreorles2

Lee- The TM calls for 15 PSI in snow and mud. It would be interesting to see what the handling difference is between 35 and 15 PSI on the next storm.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee, been there done that, years ago. I wouldn't blame it all on the NDCC's, though, ten tires on an empty deuce give you lots of floatation. Probably wouldn't do much better with radials either.
I rememer driving my deuce with duals on a snowcovered dirt road here and actually had to stop, get out and check the position of the front tires after they lost response.

Soon thereafter I singled out my deuce and the steering problem all but went away. I use chains in the snow and don't have to worry about embarrassing situations for a 6x6 truck. Have driven it on 20% inclines in a foot of snow like it was a paved road. Also, with chains there is no need to air down.

At that time, with all that snow I also installed the mushroom horizontally for obvious reasons.

Remember that traction is directly proportional to the weight of the vehicle. Add weight to improve traction. Extra tires (including duals in the front) add floatation and are good if you stay on top of snow and sand.

A few years back in Army Motors, there was a picture of a CCKW in the desert with dual front tires. If I can find it, I'll post the image.
Guess my bottom line is, don't be hasty blaiming the bias ply NDCC's, I now have mine siped for better traction and they have served me well for many thousands of miles on and off the road.

The deuce is "operated" not "driven".

reblawyer

Bjorn, any chance you could point me in the direction of some tire chains? When I was a youngun we had about 6 surplus jeeps out at our camp way back in the woods on the Louisiana state line, pretty rugged place. All of the roads are old sunken wagon roads from a time when the back country plantations in the area sent cotton to the river by wagon. Some are as much as 30 feet below the surface of the surrounding hills. Any way, a little rain goes a long way in Mississippi clay and mud but a jeep with chains could be depended on to get you in and out, as long as you were a little reckless with the speed. All of those jeeps had NDCC's which were really little help on a rainy day.

houdel

Bjorn - You of course are right, the deuce is "operated" not "driven". I stand corrected!

Jwaller - Yup, the front axle was engaged and working, but for some reason (maybe the hard packed snow/ice) the Deuce would plow straight ahead for 15'-20' after I cranked the wheel before it would start to turn.

Moreorles2 - You are correct on the 15 PSI in snow and mud. That seems uncomfortably low to me, especially as I'll be driving on a mix of snow covered and bare, dry roads. Maybe I'll split the difference and try 20-25 psi.

Dave - I'm envious. One of these days I'll build a pole barn big enough to park the Deuce in!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of worn out rolled up and welded together Cat tracks I used to set in the front of the bed on my M135 deuce. They weigh about 850 apiece, and helped greatly with the steering problem you mention. Put the weight in the back of the bed, and your steering will be worse!
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience with Indiana winters is that in no way would I want duals on the front, or anywhere else on the truck. I have pulled out lots of guys with the pickups with the wide tires that floated up on the snow, then fell in, and were stuck. The idea is to cut through the snow to hard ground beneath. Sand is a different story. I take off the outer dual tires when I anticipate using the truck in really deep stuff, breaking trails on the roads. After I put an 11' plow on it, I left the duals on because it cleared a path for them. We have the same experience with our farm tractors; duals off in the winter. The duals are also a big hinderance in soft mud.
Regards Marti

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Boy you can do some nice deuce donuts and powerslides on compacted snow. I was driving around a fenced pipe yard in WV. The road was packed snow and ice. A little go pedal and the rear end would come sailing around. Sweet! Not recommended for public roads :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks