• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHY is my CUCV PINK?

Pawnshop

I got one of the pink M1009s from Tinker and was wondering, WHY IS IT PINK? I think the correct question is "why did they paint it red?" I know why it faded to pink:) I have been told that range trucks were red, just wondering if any of you ever drove a red truck in the military.

It looks like it was painted with a broom, over solid 383 green, and the red is wearing off so I think I can remove it with some paint thinner.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam, you were right, that is ugly! Pleeeeeeeeease tell me you are not going to keep this one "exactly as it looked in service". :razz:

Cheers

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam, you were right, that is ugly! Pleeeeeeeeease tell me you are not going to keep this one "exactly as it looked in service". :razz:

Cheers
Actually I think he should paint his deuce to match. Everyone has green why not be different?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I've seen a bunch that were used for training, painted all kinds of different colors, pink, blue, yellow. . .

Convoy, and urban ops training I think.

Crazyguyla

When I was stationed at Ft Polk and money was tight. All the CUCV's used by the "civilians on the battle field" were painted by the contract workers using what paint and colors available. they used brushes, mops, and brooms to paint the trucks. There were some wild colors when they had to mix different colors to have enough paint to finish a truck.

Pawnshop

There was a white one there that had "ON POST USE ONLY" on the door, I suppose it was white so they could keep track of it.

That aggressor force training theory sounds the best so far, I think I will go for that!

I will try the paint thinner on it tomorrow, no worries Rory!

Last edited:

maverick

I may be wrong but i thought red painted MVs were used on live tank / artillery ranges as safety vehicles or for observation by the saftey staff etc. Like I say I may be wrong???:roll:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The human eye has a hard time distinguishing the color red at a distance. A LOT of the desert trucks have a 'pinkish' tinge to them.

Plus, the military has found that is it easier to go 'up' from tan than it is 'down' from green. So most of the vehicles these days are painted tan with a slight hint of red mixed in.

It makes identification at a distance a little more difficult than without the tinge of red.

hope that helped.

Sarge

Ahhh.... Sam, that is one of the special CUCV's used for urban training in San Francisco.
If you look closely you'll notice the glue stains where the enormous stick on flowers have been removed.
Personally, I think you will look FABULOUS driving that one in parades...
Don't forget your hairspray!
-Sarge

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks