• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is this site so slow...???

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Webmaster,

Why is this website so slow to load and look at threads within?

Many times, it just stops loading a page and then I have to click the red "X" to stop it and then click "refresh"...

I'm on a fast laptop, plenty of memory, WIN 7 OS, IE 7 (64 bit) and a Samsung tablet using Verizon 3G for 'net access.

I've asked MV owners if they belong to SS and a couple said no because the site is too slow or they could not get on...

Pls help...!!!

Blind Driver

I'm tethering with my Droid on my little netbook. I've had it freeze up on me on occasion, But I only have 1 bar on 4G. So I'll assume it's me.

Yes, I have issues :p

ABN173

Webmaster,

Why is this website so slow to load and look at threads within?

Many times, it just stops loading a page and then I have to click the red "X" to stop it and then click "refresh"...

I'm on a fast laptop, plenty of memory, WIN 7 OS, IE 7 (64 bit) and a Samsung tablet using Verizon 3G for 'net access.

I've asked MV owners if they belong to SS and a couple said no because the site is too slow or they could not get on...

Pls help...!!!
I'm currently deployed and some of the slowest internet speeds there is (satellite)and I don't have a problem with the site. I think the issue is that your using 3G, you also may not have a strong 3G signal either in which case would make it reminiscent of Mid 90's dial up AOL 1.0. Sorry your are having trouble.

-Dale

Truckoholic

No, he is right. There most certainly is indeed a serious latency with this website. It seems to be a bandwidth issue with the hosting server. When you make a new post, it takes way longer than it should for it to actually post, which quite often leads to double posting. Even just navigating the forums gets quite annoying at times when the threads take so long to load. This is a great website, and I'm not complaining. I deal with it, but the op is indeed correct. There for sure is quite a latency issue that has been bothering me for a while now, because other websites load perfectly fine for me on the same computer, with the same high speed internet connection.

Last edited:

Truckoholic

I wouldn't really say it's much of an issue for me either, it mostly has just confused me ever since I joined the website how it could be so much slower to respond than other websites. The pages always load, they just take noticeably longer for me.

I just pinged multiple different websites to check for latency. Most websites from my connection tend to be in the 18 to 29 millisecond range, while steelsoldiers.com is in the 69-71 millisecond range.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm on multiple ISPs with several systems and SS just like ANY site on the Internet may exhibit a problem from time to time. I rarely see a problem on SS. I see more problems on Google.

I've been on the Internet since before there were web browsers and it is amazing how people can think the Internet is supposed to be INSTANT to begin with.

jd-ford-hd

Webmaster,

Why is this website so slow to load and look at threads within?.........................................................................................................................................using Verizon 3G for 'net access.
Pls help...!!!
I have not had any issues lately using DSL. I am not a computer nerd, but, I would guess the 3G might be the problem. I am a fan of Verizon using their phone service for years. My brother IS a computer nerd. He says using 3G(which he has) does not compare to DSL (which he also has).

Hooty481

I use my Iphone, Ipad, and my laptop to access this site. We do not have the 3g network in my home town but when am traveling through a 3g network the website is fast. On my laptop we have dsl and it dose just fine. I dont think it is the 3g network. Everynow and then there is a few hick-ups here and there but thats it for me.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is a slow site in comparison to most others.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the site that's slow, it's the people.:deadhorse:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks