• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is this site so slow...???

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, If the slowness of this website is on the users end and not the server.
What do I need to do to stop this from happening?
Hint: look in lower left corner of attached picture.
Now it isn't always that message that occurs, sometimes it's waiting on googleads instead.
Even after that bar indicates the page has loaded, sometimes the thread will not appear for a short period, unless I run the cursor over the ad in the upper left of the steelsoldiers page (that could be coincidental timing).
DSL/XP Pro IE and Firefox

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well if the picture that I attach would display
you could see the icons of what is running.

short answer: yes regularly

edit: got picture to display above

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hi all,

I had a theory as to why this site is so slow.

Maybe the people that run the technology that runs Steel Soldiers did not put enough,
gerbils on the treadmill that holds up SS.. LOL

Like in that commercial, where the guy is sitting at his computer,
with guinea pigs/gerbils in a row boat in a fish tank connected to his computer,
to keep it running, while one rodent keeps repeating.. "Row, row, row...." LOL

Good day,

CJ

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm unable to duplicate it, and I access the site via multiple ISPs. (Work has three outbounds I can use, Verizon mobile, AT&T at home) I also use multiple devices, with multiple OS's, and multiple browsers. (XP, Win7 64bit, ubuntu, redhat, WebOS, Android, OSX, and iOS) (IE, FF, Chrome, Safari for browsers)

What ad-ons do you have loaded? I see macafee loaded on your PC, do you have site adviser enabled? That certainly can impact page loads.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No site adviser. Just the firewall with this site granted full acess. I have adaware running.
How do those items only affect this forum?
fgmcc.com & g503.com are two other playgrounds I visit, yet do not experience the issues with "waiting for...."

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We use googleads, which rely on 3rd party hosting. Many blocking applications can cause delay.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll buy that. While I don't have ads completely blocked, I do keep tight security settings perhaps googleads is just more persistent at trying to get crap through, almost like a mini denial of service attack. I might let the guard down for a test one of these days.

Thanks for your time Sir

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks