• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why short an aready short truck

monkster

I have been thinking about this for awhile, why bob a deuce. Remove a axle and short the bed. Just woundreing what the thoughts were.

monkster

I understand less tire wear 4less tires, but the "walking beam axle" makes the duece a sooth ride. I of also send most of my day in those " R" Macks. I also can understand there are about as meny was to respring a Bob Duece as there are people.

tm america

but if you want easy to drive why not just get a honda. it just always kills me to see it happen to some poor unnsupecting deuce .getting its man parts removed has got to ruin its self esteam.i just mean they are so less capable than a 6x6.they dont stop as good they dont carry a load as good .they dont tow as good .rear articulation is nill compared to the stock rear suspension.to me bobbing doesnt fix any of the off road issues the deuce has mainly being overly heavy in the front ,lack of lockers.its still underpowered and has many parts hanging low in the center of the truck that can get you high centered.if you want a cheap underpowered 1 ton 4x4 just buy a chevy or ford pickup:roll:only thing bobbing does is make it turn a little faster but it still doesnt have power steering and is a pita to turn when standing still.it does make it faster by having less weight and less drag .but you get less traction and less braking due to less tire on the road:roll: but hey bobbers are good for girls that want to get a mv they're so cute:rolleyes:

pjpiche1

easier to steer, sharper turning radius, better fuel economy, quicker acceleration, and much more nimble in tight parking lots, other than that I don't know.

tm america

i get 14mpg with my m35a2c pulling my m105 show me a bobber that does that.the army made a few tested them and decided not to use any they went with the 6x6 deuce .

jackson76550

i get 14mpg with my m35a2c pulling my m105 show me a bobber that does that.the army made a few tested them and decided not to use any they went with the 6x6 deuce .
well if your truck was bobbed i bet it would get better mileage wouldnt it? :-D
less weight.....one less drive axle and 4 fewer tires.....i bet it would

if your concerned about mileage........you chose the wrong truck. same as if you chose the truck to go offroad or to be easy to park at wal mart. there are better choices out there.

i think a bobbed truck makes a unique looking rig. some people take pride in having something different. ****, some people even like bingo. i say do what you want to your own truck. for the purists.....at least your un cut truck is becoming less common. for those that like to cut things up.....lets see what you can come up with :twisted:

to the original poster......a little spell check and proofreading could go a long way......i had to read it a few times to figure it out :p

jluv1185

Not if you sell the reusable parts to a wonderful SS member like yourself, and make something really cool like a zombie slaying bumper out of the rest of the parts. :roll:

wsucougarx

This will forever be a battle within the SS ranks. MV PURISTS vs MV CUSTOMIZERS. Thinking about it, I guess I would fall in the PURIST. My main attraction towards these trucks is the history they can tell. Kind of think of it as a moving monument for those who served before me. I suppose the sight of the truck can evoke memories of good and bad. I recall back in AUG08, my father in law was pretty stoked when I got the truck....well until he climbed into the back of the truck and memories from 1967 came flooding in. As I stood there, his face went from a smile to a 1,000 yard off into oblivion. Needless to say, that was the last time he wanted to see the truck. So with all that said, my main objective is to outwardly keep the truck in USGI condition to preserve what the truck was. It definately pays off when vets see their old truck come barelling down the road. More times than not they have a smile.

I simply just like driving these trucks period. I really don't give a hoot of what some non-military person thinks about it. What I do care about is the VETERANS who once drove or rode in the back of one of these trucks. I personally don't want a VET to look at my truck and say WTF is that? Why did you do that to a perfectly good truck? That's just me

Last edited:

Snarky

I think the best answer to "Why bob a deuce?" is "Because I bought and paid for it, it's mine, and I'll do what I want to do to it."

That said I like my 6x6 truck. It's big and cool. I don't really have any interest in bobbing, but the same people who dislike bobbers are the same people who dislike the discussion of engine upgrades and safer brakes.

If somebody doesn't like a certain aspect of the deuce they are always told that they should have bought another vehicle.

People bob deuces because it makes them: easier to park, easier to steer, better on fuel, better on tight trails, LEGAL in California without a CDL, less wear of the engine and drive train, the ability to run larger tires and more. The disadvantage? Harder to keep straight on the highway, less rear articulation, reduction in cross-country load carrying capacity and more. For many the benefits way outweigh the costs, others it doesn't.

Every mod has advantages and disadvantages, but it's up to the individual owners to decide whats best for the truck they paid for. If you're going to baby the truck, keep it in a garage, and never use it, then by all means keep it stock. However I would like to point out thats not how these trucks were used. They were beaten up, abused, improvised, rebuilt and reused.

When they were in the jungles with bullets flying at them, they were armored and armed. When they were in the deserts they built shacks over the backs, and strapped a/c units onto them. When they were in the cold weather they installed heaters.

They are now in an environment where the highways are 70 mph, there are other people out there to be weary of, and you can't just park anywhere. These trucks are spread out in among the deserts, the mountains, the coasts. There's snow, sand, mud, heat, humidity, cold, rocks, rivers, and everything in between, if your truck is going to be used in the U.S. you might have to change something up occasionally.

stumps

Not if you sell the reusable parts to a wonderful SS member like yourself, and make something really cool like a zombie slaying bumper out of the rest of the parts. :roll:
The same argument can be made for scrapping the whole truck.

It all reminds me of the shaggy dog story about Hershel the pig:

A traveling salesman was driving along a road out in the middle of nowhere. He passed through endless acres of corn and wheat when he hit a pothole, and his tire blew out. "Darn, what rotten luck!"

His bad luck was further compounded when he remembered that he had a spare tire, but his jack handle was missing...

As he fumbled around trying to lift his car, a farmer happened by on his tractor, pulling a cart. Seeing the salesman's dilemma, the farmer yelled, "Hershel, come down here and help this poor man out!"

Out of the cart hopped a three legged pig with a big smile on his face. Hershel scampered under the car, and lifted it up so the salesman could change the tire.

After he was done, the salesman wiped his brow, and said, "That's a mighty fine pig you got there, but I couldn't help noticing that he was missing a hind leg."

The farmer said, "Yep, Hershel is a very smart and useful pig, it seemed a shame to eat him all at once."

Ba da bump!

-Chuck

stumps

People bob deuces because it makes them: easier to park, easier to steer, better on fuel, better on tight trails, LEGAL in California without a CDL, less wear of the engine and drive train, the ability to run larger tires and more.
The CDL issue is an interesting one. In Maryland, the only entity that can lower the weight class of a vehicle is the manufacturer. Even if you bob off an axle, Maryland requires the truck to be registered as having 3 axles, and 23K GVW.

I ran through this battle, because I have a truck that was rated 26500 GVW by the manufacturer, and I really wanted it to be rated 26000 GVW to avoid the class B license requirement. MD MVA said there was nothing I could do to lower the rating, as far as they and the DOT were concerned. They showed me all sorts of rules and regulations to that effect. You can raise it, but not lower it.

That could put bobbing into an interesting problem area. If you can't legally lower the GVW, then by bobbing the truck, you may be overloading the rear axle, and making it unsafe for its original rated load.... or so it would seem.

Has anyone tried to put their bobbed truck through a commercial truck safety inspection?

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks