• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

why so much hate on 6.2 ?

kc5mzd

Lets not forget the federally imposed 55 mph maximum speed limit. With that in mind I understand why they would use a GM TH400 3 speed behind a 6.2 the GM 3 speed would be nearly indestructible. The 6.2 seems fine to me, I have a M998 I only drive it on city streets most have a 40 - 45 mph speed limit.

erasedhammer

$2,500 including the labor? Tell me more.
I really shopped around on ebay. It took me about 4 months to gather together all the parts, slowly finding the cheapest ones and talking people down on prices.

You can read about the swap more from Augi's post at g503: http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=221765&p=1305053&hilit=4l80#p1305053

Most posts didn't get really into the required parts, so I did a quick write kinda meant to supplement Augi's info: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?167630-My-Experiences-with-4l80e-Upgrade

I would suggest building your own harness, cheaper and probably easier. I've heard that the stock A2 harnesses are getting quiet expensive ($1500). Harnesses for me ran a total of $600. 200 for the engine and 400 for the body. Kascar had dropped the price momentarily for some reason cause about a month later, AM General rose the price and they got expensive. (still can pick up a engine harness on ebay for 200-400 maybe.

erasedhammer

Yeah, especially seeing as how he swapped in an A2 body harness for his install. Is that including the money you got back from selling the old parts?
Didn't sell anything back. I've been cutting up my old harness and re-purposing the connectors that are in good shape. Check out my reply to the other guy.

desmodromic

so how hard is it to switch transmission on the 6.2 to make it a 4 speed ? I've got a buddy thats telling me not to sink any money into this m988 and get a 1123 ..
While I have been perfectly happy with my 6.2/3L80e powered Humvees, I am not sure it is really worth the time and $$$ to do an engine and/or trans swap on an M998 now that the prices have dropped on the M1123s, and given how they are hacking apart the M1025/1045s, I imagine prices should settle eventually on those as well.

erasedhammer

While I have been perfectly happy with my 6.2/3L80e powered Humvees, I am not sure it is really worth the time and $$$ to do an engine and/or trans swap on an M998 now that the prices have dropped on the M1123s, and given how they are hacking apart the M1025/1045s, I imagine prices should settle eventually on those as well.
Engine swap probably not, but 16k at least for a m1123 vs a couple thousand for a 4l80. Plus at the end of the day you'd have two humvees... take that how you will :D

SamS

I purchased my 1990 M998 about three months ago. Me and my son did a road trip and put about 1000 miles on and I put an additional 2000 since then without any issues what so ever. Yeah, it's slow but I thoroughly enjoy the truck. The 6.2 runs very nice and starts quick. From everything I've read, if you do regular maintenance and take care of your hmmwv it will treat you well. It seems to be true so far for me. I love this truck....

desmodromic

Engine swap probably not, but 16k at least for a m1123 vs a couple thousand for a 4l80. Plus at the end of the day you'd have two humvees... take that how you will :D
I get that you may have done the swap for less, but the average 4L8Oe swap cost more than a "couple thousand" and quite a bit of time, not to mention trouble shooting error codes, etc. if you check the recent auction prices, you will see plenty of M1123 that have sold for $10-12K. I know, because I just bought one.

I totally get the whole built, not bought thing (I have 6.5TD/4L80e/NP242 sitting in my warehouse as part of a project build), but there is something to be said for paying a small premium to have an A2 truck that is ready to go.

erasedhammer

I get that you may have done the swap for less, but the average 4L8Oe swap cost more than a "couple thousand" and quite a bit of time, not to mention trouble shooting error codes, etc. if you check the recent auction prices, you will see plenty of M1123 that have sold for $10-12K. I know, because I just bought one.

I totally get the whole built, not bought thing (I have 6.5TD/4L80e/NP242 sitting in my warehouse as part of a project build), but there is something to be said for paying a small premium to have an A2 truck that is ready to go.
I completely agree with buying a truck in the condition you would eventually turn an older truck into. For me of course there were no A2 trucks when I bought mine. Im surprised there are m1123s going for 10k... last time I checked the ones that actually ran were all being sold for 16-17k

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks