• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wife wants me to do the unthinkable due to the Florida DMV debacle!

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that you only get a registration card and registration plate with expiration tabs. They sent your title back to you. That is your title.
Gosh, I hope that is not the case. I cannot use that title that the FL DMV defaced to sell the M998 to anyone else. At least not according to the Florida DMV.

If that is the case, I would pay the original seller when he gets back from deployment to get a duplicate title and just sign it and leave the seller info off just like he did originally. Then I could later sell it to another Florida resident, according to the FL DMV.

Green Mountain Boys

Update as of Friday.

Very strange. Today I received a sticker for a license plate, with what appears to be a registration. No Title, no License Plate to put the sticker on. Very wierd, at least to me. All the states I ever registered a car the plate came with the sticker on it and matching registration and the title later. I guess Vermont is just different.

I am still hopeful a clean title will eventually come some day! A valid plate is a bonus I guess.
I believe an error was made. You should have received your license plate, registration and registration stickers all in a large, brown, windowed envelope. Call the DMV to politely ask what is going on. I do not believe they are shipping the plates to you separately. I have never had plates shipped separately before. At the same time you could ask what documentation they will require for the title. Ask if a VIN inspection will be required. Ask how to accomplish the VIN inspection when the vehicle is outside of Vermont. I do not believe they are in the process of sending you a title based on what you have posted. Good luck.

Action

Is there some sort of federal database that a DMV can look at and see there is already a title in another state before they issue a new one?
Can i just get a 68 camaro VIN at a car show, make a bill of sale, and send to Vermont a get a title for it?

Green Mountain Boys

Is there some sort of federal database that a DMV can look at and see there is already a title in another state before they issue a new one?
Can i just get a 68 camaro VIN at a car show, make a bill of sale, and send to Vermont a get a title for it?
I do not know what research the DMV conducts to issue a replacement title. Vermont will issue a replacement title with a Bill of Sale and a VIN inspection is probably required. What you propose would not be legal and it would not work.

Action

I do not know what research the DMV conducts to issue a replacement title. Vermont will issue a replacement title with a Bill of Sale and a VIN inspection is probably required. What you propose would not be legal and it would not work.
Why not? The OPer has a title from a state he doesnt live in (not Vermont) that has someone else’s name on it. Then got it registered in Vermont and may get a Vermont title without a VIN inspection.
This sounds just like the scenario i described. Only the bill of sale would be fake.
The OPer will end up with 2 titles from different states.
Edit. And those two titles will be in different names (previous owner and new owner)

Last edited:

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The insurance companies watch this stuff, cloned cars etc.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe an error was made. You should have received your license plate, registration and registration stickers all in a large, brown, windowed envelope. Call the DMV to politely ask what is going on. I do not believe they are shipping the plates to you separately. I have never had plates shipped separately before. At the same time you could ask what documentation they will require for the title. Ask if a VIN inspection will be required. Ask how to accomplish the VIN inspection when the vehicle is outside of Vermont. I do not believe they are in the process of sending you a title based on what you have posted. Good luck.

When I saw it was a sticker for a plate I thought it was an error, but on the front of the envelop that the sticker and registration came in, it was pre-printed and stated:

Expect your license plate seperately with 4 weeks
That is just crazy :confused:

Maybe they have to wait for the convicts to make one? :p

Green Mountain Boys

When I saw it was a sticker for a plate I thought it was an error, but on the front of the envelop that the sticker and registration came in, it was pre-printed and stated:

I have not seen that before. Sounds like they are way behind. At least the plate is coming, but you still have to work on getting the Vehicle title in your name.

Green Mountain Boys

Why not? The OPer has a title from a state he doesnt live in (not Vermont) that has someone else’s name on it. Then got it registered in Vermont and may get a Vermont title without a VIN inspection.
This sounds just like the scenario i described. Only the bill of sale would be fake.
The OPer will end up with 2 titles from different states.
Edit. And those two titles will be in different names (previous owner and new owner)
1) I am not a lawyer but the fake bill of sale would pose a problem.
"THE UNDERSIGNED HEREBY applies for a replacement Certificate of Title and certifies that the
information contained herein is true and correct. These declarations are made under penalties of 23 VSA §202, §203, §2082 & §3829. "

2) If you are proposing to transfer the title from owner #1 to owner #3 and owner #2 has never titled the vehicle then is sounds like "title jumping". I think that is a felony.
3) I do not think Vermont will issue a new title without a VIN inspection.

Action

1) I am not a lawyer but the fake bill of sale would pose a problem.
"THE UNDERSIGNED HEREBY applies for a replacement Certificate of Title and certifies that the
information contained herein is true and correct. These declarations are made under penalties of 23 VSA §202, §203, §2082 & §3829. "

2) If you are proposing to transfer the title from owner #1 to owner #3 and owner #2 has never titled the vehicle then is sounds like "title jumping". I think that is a felony.
3) I do not think Vermont will issue a new title without a VIN inspection.
He is not trying to get a replacement title. He is trying to get a second title from another state. So.....

Action

A vehicle can have two names on a Title.
A vehicle can never have two Titles at the same time.
So if Vermont issues a new title, what happens to the title with the seller’s name on it? The buyer still has that one, and it wasnt transferred to buyers name. When you buy a vehicle and take title to DMV, they dont give you the old one back.

Green Mountain Boys

So if Vermont issues a new title, what happens to the title with the seller’s name on it? The buyer still has that one, and it wasnt transferred to buyers name. When you buy a vehicle and take title to DMV, they dont give you the old one back.
I do not think Vermont is going to issue a title until a request for a replacement title is requested. It does not appear that has happened at this point. The old title should be surrendered.

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VT-004-Replacement_Title.pdf

This is the link to the form that I believe is required. I would complete this form to have the vehicle correctly titled in the new owner's name. The current title would be surrendered. The existence of multiple titles could cause big problems in the future.

For example, About 30 years ago a close friend bought a used car from a guy. He got the car registered, insured and got a title issued by the state. It was called a title transfer at that time. After about 3 months he got a call from the local police department saying there was a problem with the vehicle title and he would need to bring the car to the police station. He politely declined, stating he had a valid title and had done nothing wrong. Well, the police did not agree. The police started checking his home and place of work trying to locate the vehicle. My friend played a game of cat and mouse for another 2 or 3 months. Always hiding the vehicle at locations the police would not know to look. One day, he left work on foot to retrieve his car he had stashed nearby. When he started to drive home he realized he had forgotten something at the office so he drove the car back to the office, parked in the lot and ran inside to get the item. He knew this was risky, but thought or hoped the police would not be looking for him at that time. He quickly returned to the parking lot to find the police had the car blocked in and the car was towed despite his protest. He lost the car and was not reimbursed. He was not charged with any crime as he had done nothing wrong other than not taking the car to the police. The car was not very valuable so he did not try to fight this in court. I do not know the exact details of title issues. He had a state issued title in his name. I suspect his title problem originated from a previous sale. The state issued him a title in error and he was not aware of the problem until he was first contacted by police.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

thats how Vermont does it…I’ve registererd many Hmmwv’s in Vermont and never received the Tags with the plate, it’s always been separate.
Vermont also does not issue titles on vehicles over 15yrs old, so if you wanted one, the vehicle has to be inspected.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@FlameRed

The (anticipated) license plate number should be printed on your validation decals.

If you have it, run it here to find out what the status is:

Scroll down and fill in the form as if you’re going to renew your registration. The next page will give the VIN and status.
Thank you for the link. Shows:

Active Registration

thats how Vermont does it…I’ve registererd many Hmmwv’s in Vermont and never received the Tags with the plate, it’s always been separate.
Vermont also does not issue titles on vehicles over 15yrs old, so if you wanted one, the vehicle has to be inspected.

Oh rats - no way I can get it up there for an inspection. I will call them and see what they say. A clean title is what I need.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I call the Vermont DMV and I will post this information for those following my saga.

They stated I will NOT be receiving a traditional title. Vermont does not issue titles for vehicles older than 2008. Instead, your registration acts as your title. When you sell the older vehicle, you give the buyer a bill of sale and your registration acts as a title. Some states may be unaware of this and they refer those states to the DMV web site: https://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-title

As Vermont is now a participating member of NMVTIS please be advised that for all vehicles not titled in the state of Vermont a registration number will be submitted to NMVTIS as proof of ownership in place of a 13 character title number.

Also the DMV told me I can "gift" the vechile to my established LCC. That way when your local friendly Florida LEO pulls me over for having out-of-state plates, as they love to do here in the Sunshine State, your registration does not have your name on it and you can have it registered under an address in Vermont using the LLC's "Virtual" mailbox I lease. Sure, they could still to decide to cite you, impounding your car, or arrest me but at least I can fight it in court. Gifting it to the LLC saves me having to pay the sales tax again. I just submit two forms, the VD-119, VT-013, along with a copy of your officially executed LLC from the state it was established. The LLC does NOT have to be established in Vermont. Since I have a Florida LLC already established and I have done out-of-state business in the past, I'm establishing an office in Vermont! He also confirmed the plates will be coming in a few weeks.

So I guess I'm good. I can sell it, but I want to keep it and try the above plan. Hoping for the best and planning for the worst! Too bad Florida has turned into another bureaucratic heaven. Gone are the days that they were nice and helpful. I guess the same can be said of much of this country :mad:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I call the Vermont DMV and I will post this information for those following my saga.

They stated I will NOT be receiving a traditional title. Vermont does not issue titles for vehicles older than 2008. Instead, your registration acts as your title. When you sell the older vehicle, you give the buyer a bill of sale and your registration acts as a title. Some states may be unaware of this and they refer those states to the DMV web site: https://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-title

Also the DMV told me I can "gift" the vechile to my established LCC. That way when your local friendly Florida LEO pulls me over for having out-of-state plates, as they love to do here in the Sunshine State, your registration does not have your name on it and you can have it registered under an address in Vermont using the LLC's "Virtual" mailbox I lease. Sure, they could still to decide to cite you, impounding your car, or arrest me but at least I can fight it in court. Gifting it to the LLC saves me having to pay the sales tax again. I just submit two forms, the VD-119, VT-013, along with a copy of your officially executed LLC from the state it was established. The LLC does NOT have to be established in Vermont. Since I have a Florida LLC already established and I have done out-of-state business in the past, I'm establishing an office in Vermont! He also confirmed the plates will be coming in a few weeks.

So I guess I'm good. I can sell it, but I want to keep it and try the above plan. Hoping for the best and planning for the worst! Too bad Florida has turned into another bureaucratic heaven. Gone are the days that they were nice and helpful. I guess the same can be said of much of this country :mad:
Sad but true it seems...

Action

So if you sell or “gift” your humvee, you just use the Vermont registration as a title? If you gift it, you may as well use it as a tax write off. Lol
You still have the original title, that is still in the guys name you bought it from. So back to my earlier comments. You have 2 “titles” in 2 different names, in 2 different states neither of which you live in. . Even if you say you will “lose” the original title, it should still be in the dmv system in the sellers name.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks