• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wife wants me to do the unthinkable due to the Florida DMV debacle!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Transfer of ownership

With a notarized Bill of Sale transfer of ownership is made, legally. That is what a State License Office does when transfer of ownership is made from one State to another that requires proof of sale. One State contacts the other for liens, or clear title. If the vehicle has an active registration there usually are no issues.

If the vehicle has never been registered then the State has to search the States to make sure there are no liens or salvage titles attached. Thank insurance companies for that. Then the FBI has a database for stolen vehicles that need to be checked.

That is why you get Title in mail weeks later, in this case a Registered plate from, Vermont. But I would hate to be you when some LEO in another State wants to tow the truck for any number of reasons they can dream up, and legally find reason to do so. Then what, take a zhitestorm of paper with you to the impound lot while they slow walk you until you either pay some coin, and you pay to tow away or give up leave it there and the county has a ute for themselves.

As long as Vermont gives you the Registration the truck is good for Vermont, and all States, but like I say the other States do not have to like it. And if the truck ends up in the dogpound in a state far away from, Vermont, what then.

The Boy Scout Motto will come in handy.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Transfer of ownership

With a notarized Bill of Sale transfer of ownership is made, legally. That is what a State License Office does when transfer of ownership is made from one State to another that requires proof of sale. One State contacts the other for liens, or clear title. If the vehicle has an active registration there usually are no issues.

If the vehicle has never been registered then the State has to search the States to make sure there are no liens or salvage titles attached. Thank insurance companies for that. Then the FBI has a database for stolen vehicles that need to be checked.

That is why you get Title in mail weeks later, in this case a Registered plate from, Vermont. But I would hate to be you when some LEO in another State wants to tow the truck for any number of reasons they can dream up, and legally find reason to do so. Then what, take a zhitestorm of paper with you to the impound lot while they slow walk you until you either pay some coin, and you pay to tow away or give up leave it there and the county has a ute for themselves.

As long as Vermont gives you the Registration the truck is good for Vermont, and all States, but like I say the other States do not have to like it. And if the truck ends up in the dogpound in a state far away from, Vermont, what then.

The Boy Scout Motto will come in handy.
And as I have mentioned in several discussions about getting "slick willy titles" or insurance or blind LLC's -- Just wait until the lawyers get involved if you are ever in an accident.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might I suggest that you contact a place that sells both civilian and the military HMMWVs and H1’s and work with them to see if you can work a trade.

Last edited:

dhaumann69166

It can still turn into a expensive legal nightmare . On top of no insurance in the LLC's name .
There was a big discussion on registering your vehicle in a state you don’t live in a while back. Sounds like a great idea till you get pulled over and your address on your license and insurance doesn’t match the state where the vehicle supposedly is from and registered.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a big discussion on registering your vehicle in a state you don’t live in a while back. Sounds like a great idea till you get pulled over and your address on your license and insurance doesn’t match the state where the vehicle supposedly is from and registered.
I have established a business in Vermont, and the paper work is in to the Vermont DMV to have the M998 to be registered to the business, with a Vermont address on the registration. My name and address will not be on the registration.

Sure, they can still cite me, arrest me, or impound the vehicle, but then again, they can pretty much to that for any reason they make up when they want to get more revenue. Well, except if you are part of a flash MOB that goes into the local stores and empty the shelves - then you are safe around here...

Best the lawyers could think of.

MODS: You can close this thread. Issue resolved. Nothing to add.

Last edited:

Action

I have established a business in Vermont, and the paper work is in to the Vermont DMV to have the M998 to be registered to the business, with a Vermont address on the registration. My name and address will not be on the registration.

Sure, they can still cite me, arrest me, or impound the vehicle, but then again, they can pretty much to that for any reason they make up when they want to get more revenue. Well, except if you are part of a flash MOB that goes into the local stores and empty the shelves - then you are safe around here...

Best the lawyers could think of.

MODS: You can close this thread. Issue resolved. Nothing to add.
Close the thread? But you never transfered the original title out of the seller's name. And, Im sure your Vermont bus2iness is paying taxes and payroll and insurance, etc...

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What happens when you get pulled over because the truck and trailer have plates from different states? If a Texas resident with out of state plates is stopped and cannot prove he/she bought the truck/trailer from out of state within the grace period (30 days) he/she is actually is guilty of tax evasion, somewhat serious stuff and a favorite pastime for the DPS.
That's a good point, and honestly I don't know the answer. I've never been pulled over while hauling the trailer. Maybe somebody in the group can weigh in. I suppose that I would just tell the cop what I had done and go from there.

I will says this though, after all the work i did on trailer to get the lights working properly and try to do the right thing and get NC plates, I see trucks hauling trailers without lights, and without plates all the damn time now.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All my trailers carry maine plates. Never had a problem in over 20ish states.

Intermodal and trucking fleets routinely have plates from states of convenience and lower taxes fees.

My take is small trailers will never get scrutinized unless you are committing other offenses and drawing attention to yourself...

Ymmv and I stayed at holiday Inn once...

BEASTMASTER

states are whacked. i plowed for the town with my M-51 up in mass for 13 yrs . cum down here and they won't accept the mass title. but they accepted titles on the other three cars. had to have the state police inspect it and confirm it was'nt stolen

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
states are whacked. i plowed for the town with my M-51 up in mass for 13 yrs .
The only issue Mass DMV had with my M813 title was the "body type" they don't accept "other" anymore. It seems that three sides and a tailgate make it a Pickup...a ten ton pickup and the old title had white outs and mismatched dates. Still have to pass inspection.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The only issue Mass DMV had with my M813 title was the "body type" they don't accept "other" anymore. It seems that three sides and a tailgate make it a Pickup...a ten ton pickup and the old title had white outs and mismatched dates. Still have to pass inspection.
The problem is that your truck has to fit the blocks on their form. Here in our state - when I finally figured out - my life just got a whole LOT EASIER. Also found out when I volunteered information it actually made it worse.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought this forum banned title and registration talk? Guess not anymore….every post about it is just a great tool for DMV investigators and Hwy patrol, think I’m kidding? I had a conversation with a “person” of knowledge and a revoked registration who was told flat out that they love these forums.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks