• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a 1988 Blazer top fit M1009?

stranger75

I found an '88 Blazer top for sale close by with sliding tinted windows. It also has interior lights. I can get it for cheap, but am not sure if it will fit an 84 1009. I know there were a lot of changes done to the Blazers and trucks in 1988 compared to the 87 model, but I haven't been able to find specific information about the fiberglass top. did they stay unchanged?

stranger75

HI YES the interchange is 81-87 k series with 1009 style 1/2 top.
Thanks for the reply, but this confuses me. If the interchange is 81-87, then where does the 88 fit in? The body styles look so similar I'm almost positive it would fit. I just don't want to drive out there if the top is incompatible.

forest522

Go for it - it's a match. Another reason why these vehicles are so great...lots of available parts at good prices!! :beer:

I'm about to swap out my doors for the same year Suburban doors with solid vent windows AND power windows and locks. fat lady sings yippee!!

stranger75

I was just searching through the LMC catalog and noticed that all the bed/ body parts (except grille, headlights, dash etc.) went unchanged from 73-91. I knew they were similar, but was concerned about little differences that would make an 88 top incompatible. Thanks or the help and affirmation.

jw4x4

All removable K-5 blazer tops are the same. They didn't change any of them...
'68 to '72 K5's are different. They come off all the way to the windshield. IIRC, they had the full tops on '73 and '74 also. Then they switched to the shorter removable tops.

gungearz

Well,.I think he would know the difference when he sees them, let alone the M1009 didn't exist in those years. Hence: all M1009 K-5 blazer tops are all identically the same and can be used.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well,.I think he would know the difference when he sees them, let alone the M1009 didn't exist in those years. Hence: all M1009 K-5 blazer tops are all identically the same and can be used.
The M1009 didn't exist in 88 either, the year he questioned. All K5 tops are not identical.

OP, all tops from 76 thru 86 K blazers and 87 thru 91 V blazers interchange. 73 thru 75 K blazers had a different top.
Hope that clears it up.

jw4x4

Indeed all 1009's are identical, as were their civvy counterparts. I would sure love to find a soft top for my 1009 at a decent price.

gungearz

The M1009 didn't exist in 88 either, the year he questioned. All K5 tops are not identical.

OP, all tops from 76 thru 86 K blazers and 87 thru 91 V blazers interchange. 73 thru 75 K blazers had a different top.
Hope that clears it up.
Actually you just pissed in my cheerios with your dumb statment. What forum are you on...? Steel soldiers, a military vehicle website. You want to complain about a civi blazer. Go over to the blazer forum and do so. All M1009's are identical and obviously you have been mis informed with them not having a M1009 in 88' cause it obviously it does exist and he has one.

cliffyp

Actually you just pissed in my cheerios with your dumb statment. What forum are you on...? Steel soldiers, a military vehicle website. You want to complain about a civi blazer. Go over to the blazer forum and do so. All M1009's are identical and obviously you have been mis informed with them not having a M1009 in 88' cause it obviously it does exist and he has one.
The original poster has an '84 m1009 and is wanting to know if an '88 civy k5 top will fit. The post on the K5 year ranges with swappable tops is applicable because that is what the poster is trying to figure out.

stranger75

I know the late 60's early 70's blazers had full removeable tops. I read that they changed this design during the seventies to the half fiberglass/ steel top for more stability and protection in a rollover situation. From what I have learned from this post, once the half fiberglass top was introduced, its design/ dimensions did not change until after the 91 model ( I think).
My initial reason for asking the question, is that I know many changes were made to the blazer and C/K trucks after 1987, and needed to find out if the fiberglass top or blazer bed/ cab had any changes that year. That said, an 88 top will fit on an 84 truck. Badass. I just found a good deal.:cool:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr Gungearz, thanks for your informative post and an explanation of this site. I was unaware that this site deals with MVs only. I've sent you a PM in regards to aforementioned post.

Just to give some serious clarification on Interchange for those that might not know.

The Blazer on the left is a 1991 chevy k5 fullsize blazer the one on the right is a 1992 chevy k5 blazer.Though the bodstyles outside fenders and doors and body style changed and transfercases and transmissions did change between the 2 the motors didn't.

The 1981-91 Chevy K5 blazer is interchangeable through these years though the older 73-80 Chevy k5 blazer doors will fit the 1981-91 chevy k5 blazers Thats the only part really.What im trying to say is 73-80 Chevy k5 blazers are upgraded using the newer parts not the reverse usually.

So in essence if the parts look anything like the 91 (LEFT PIC)then you are good.:wink: The parts from that year span 1981-91 Chevy GMC k5 blazers(GMC Jimmy Fullsize blazer)will work with the 1984-87 M1009 Cucv military blazer.

BTW for those the 92 blazer was also used as a military cucv 2. :]

Some did ya know.The reasons the suburban and k5 blazers ran all the way into 91 was because Gm still had a bunch of parts from the Cucv and civy truck and k5 blazer run.The reason i know this is i have a civiy blazer we parted out that was all orgiinal with carced front fenders.Go figure a civy blazer now thats odd.:]

Attachments

Last edited:

stranger75

Cool, thanks! My brother has a 92 full size blazer like the one in your pic. I've always liked those trucks. I did not know they were used as CUCV II's though.

Haha i hear ya Gm had a great span of parts interchange thats for sure:]

Hahahah,I hear ya,If you have any more questions feel free to ask me if i can help i will.Im a huge fan of the 80's Chevy trucks,Suburbans,K5 blazers,M1008's and M1009's.Gm had a huge span on interchange alot of guys are takeing the civiy counter parts and upgradeing the m1008's as well as the m1009's.For ease of operation and just plain comfort.not to mention the looks i love it im addicted as if you couldnt tell by my signature.;-)