• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a "C" turbo work on an LDS 465 1A engine?

fabiodriven

Will a "C" turbo work on an LDS 465 1A engine? UPDATED!!!

Here's the deal- I just found out yesterday that the engine in my deuce is an LDS465 1A. I am very happy that I have an engine that makes alot more power than a traditional deuce. However, I wanted toput a "C" turbo on it to get that deuce whistle. I was just informed that although a C turbo will bolt onto the engine no problem, it will not make enough boost for the LDS engine. Is this true? Is there anybody here who has an LDS with a "C" turbo onit, and if so, is there any power loss?

Any other comments on this topic are welcome, I just want my deuce to whistle!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who told you it will not make enough boost? It will run fine with a C or D.

Last edited:

rat4spd

Well, I have a LDS465-1A, and it came with a "C." I have an engine that "says" LDS, I cna't tell you fer sure what it is, other than all of the dates on the IP, turbo, and engine are the same.

Last edited:

fabiodriven

Doghead- I was told by a fellow boardmember who I spoke to on the phone and has been into MV's for years. If he wants to chime in and explain I'm sure he can do a better job than me.

rat4speed- Does your engine whistle? The turbo on my LDS looks like a "C" turbo but with a big fat compressor on it. Is that the turbo you have, or do you have straight-up C?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Fabio, the C wil work fine on your motor, have no fear. Tell your buddy I'd like more info on the C not pushing enough air. Not push enough air for what? Some of the multifuels have no turbo at all.

fabiodriven

OK Gimpyrobb. I asked him to chime in to explain what he explained to me. It actually sounded like it made some sense, but if the general comcensus is that the "C" will work, I'll run it.

On a side note, will the "C" decrease the HP on an LDS?

gimpyrobb

I doubt it. It might not make as flat of a power curve, but it will make power just the same. Its kinda dependant on alot of things. I have been told by the guys that build these turbos, they have enough airflow to blow out a head gasket. Now I DO understand that the C turbo flows the least amount of air, that doesn't mean it is no good for the motor. The LDS465 motor's turbo has a wastegate, so we can agree that it will spool up quicker. Some of the guys say they can work over a C turbo to flow as well as a D turbo, so that tells us the D would flow more than the C. I have seen turbos on 465's from the LDS427, but have not had any experiance with them. The turbo's function is to cram more air into the cyl so that you can add more fuel to the mix. The more fuel the more heat, the more heat, the more boost. I don't see how one of the 4 stock turbos would not work on a 465lds. I would love to learn more about the trucks and motors I own.

SasquatchSanta

I also have a "C" turbo on my LDS-1A engine. It works fine.

When I got the engine it was equiped with a "D" turbo. After running it for a few weeks I found a "C" and installed it. The "D" has better heat shields and supposedly has a litle more boost but I can't tell the difference. Hey --- about 90% of these trucks are ego. Why not have a "Whistler" :-D

I'm told the "C" isn't as forgiving when it comes to shutting it down hot. I've got a little magnetic battery powered digital clock/timer that I keep stuck on the post between the two windshields. Before shutting down the engine I let the timer run for at least three minutes --- longer if I've been running hard.

gimpyrobb

Ernie, I was under the impression that letting it idle till the pyro read 300-ish* was all that was needed. Mine gets there pretty quick after I stop motion. Do you know something I don't?

SasquatchSanta

Ernie, I was under the impression that letting it idle till the pyro read 300-ish* was all that was needed. Mine gets there pretty quick after I stop motion. Do you know something I don't?
I've never seen it written anywhere --- I just always assumed the needle on the pyro should be bottomed out before shutting down. I don't know what temp that is but on my pyro is way below 300. I've heard 3 min and I've heard 5 min cool down time. I don't really know.

Maybe someone wiser than me will chirp in and lend some wisdom.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I forgot to mention, my LDS in a deuce, has a D turbo. Just for reference.

I also have the odd Swhartz turbo, on an LDT engine.

emr

As for the power change in a deuce ? maybe in a quarter mile drag race..., and after a nap getting there...LOL..., I have had both turbos, the fuel mix is to me the only noticable thing the Average Joe can do to make a difference, Now there are people who will know how to adjust just about everything and will do it, But as for a deuce, a turbo is a turbo, Like said above, its mostly ego, so I would have to say even though I do not have my whistler anymore, That really is the one to get,to "me" that is, like everything else again its up to the individual what is the best route to take, BUT like everything else, they are ALL cool. everything on these motors is basically thesame, there are no drastic differences , all bolt on and off . as for the cool down time, the TM,s say 5 minutes, the young Soldiers driving them did not put pyromiters on them or care about anything like we hobbiest do,And so that is a general rule for having a few hundred thousand trucks, Mine always cool down much quicker, but for those not sure read the TM and follow it, untill experience on your truck kicks in,

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The difference you will see is less boost at lower RPM's if you currently have the turbo with the wastegate. Once you get above 2000 RPM's with full throttle the wastegate will start to open. The "C" turbo will produce boost later. So you might feel difference in when the power arrives. You will need to watch EGT's and mabye reset the fuel rate. It might be a little higher than the "C" want's to play with. Other than that it will work fine. If you don't want it, would you be willing to sell the wastegate turbo?

gimpyrobb

I would like to put it on to see what It does. Since it was designed for the motor, I'd like to try it out. Sure, if I don't like it, I'd be up for selling.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The whistle comes from the angle of bend on the turbine. Some may call this the pitch. Not all turbos are created equal. There are many changes and upgrades that were tried. Although there isn't any noticable change in power. They they were done for longivity.

mudguppy

...Why doesn't the "big" turbo that is on the LDS not "whistle"? All of my 5 ton(multifuel) trucks whistle. Rather they have the wastegate or not. ....
you are correct, the wastegate will have absolutely nothing to do with how much a turbo whistles, if at all.

rather, the design/pitch/blade count of the both the compressor inducer (sometimes) and the turbine exducer (mainly) is what produces the whistle. each of these characteristics will have an affect on the sound of the turbo - size [in this discussion] means nothing.

exducer design varies by model and could also vary by date of manufacture. only a parts cross-reference between turbos could determine that.

also, having a wastegate or not has no effect on how quickly the turbo spools. a wastegate's pure function in life is to either;

a. limit the amount of intake charge overpressure (aka boost)
b. limit the speed of the turbo to prevent overspeed (aka schrapnel)
c. both.

if the turbo doesn't have a wastegate, then it was installed w/ the assumption that the fuel available will not be able to accomplish neither A nor B.

mudguppy

Not disagreeing with you in regards to the wastegate. However, the trucks with a wastegate do not have as sharp as a whistle as do the ones without the wastegate. ...
do the two turbos use the same turbine wheels and exducers?

... But in regards to with or without. Why would they put two different turbos on the same engine? Everything being the same except that.
i have no idea. manufacturing availability? even if from the same manufacturer, volume may not be able to be met so some of the different configurations could be off-the-shelf items for different applications with similar performce specs. ? who knows - there could be a ton of reasons. and whatever the reasons are, i'm sure cost and lowest bid has a lot to do w/ the outcome.