• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a DT466 fit in a M35a2

ODdave

Ok, i have read through some 466 threads but there not answering my question. Will the DT466 fit in the deuce engine bay?

I dont want any input as far as what other engines would be a "better" transplant. I have 6bt's & ISB's but want something different. I have one 1995 DT466 w/ the inline injection pump. It wont fit in anything else of mine so the deuce is my only hope.

I thought I read somewhere on here that it has been done but cannot find any info now.

I do not mean to sound rude but i just want the facts, not "better than" opinions. Thanks.

MrM4

I would think that it would be REALLY tight, there is alot of cubic space to a 466, I think the best thing for you to do is measure your 2.5s engine compartment and then see what your DT466 is compared to that number, that is pretty much the only way to know unless some one here has done it. As for bolting up to the tranny and the actual " making it happen " I cant help but I think it would pretty cool if you make it work. :beer:

Preacherboy

Our church bus has a DT466 and so do the smaller International chassis like small wreckers and stuff, they all seem about the same size as a deuce's engine bay. I have no experience doing a swap like this, but I am almost certain they are very close in size.

Deuce engine 465 cu in and the Dt 466 466 cu in? I actually thought they were developed around the same time and share many of the same features. I actually tell folks that the 2 engines are very similar.

Nonotagain

The only issue I've heard of is space for the intercooler being tight.

I also toyed with the idea of an electronic DT466 so that it would talk to my electronic Allison.

There was a thread about 1-1/2 years back on the 466 swap.

ODdave

Yea the intercooler was another consern but i have one from a dt408 that looks like it would stand a good chance of sneaking in there. I fit an intercooler in a cucv with the stock radiator location and no grill mods so I would think the deuce would be easier, I hope.

olewhiskey

I have an old Boom Digger with a DT 466 . Model1900s it runs like a scaled dog on the highway with just 1.1 4 speed. Will pull 75mph easy. up hills Thats with the boom tower,storage panniers, plate steel bed,controls everything. It would likely fit in the 2 1/2 ton frame. You may have to fab some cuts and bulge a hood, but hot rodders do that all the time with a lot less space. The biggest deal with be mating to your transfer case. Alternately boom trucks are selling cheap right now. You could easily pick up a 4wd utility truck and go from there.:arrow:

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking the motor would fit but I don't think the innercooler will without grill modifications.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
PM Lane(citizensoldier) I'm pretty sure he has taken measurements for the swap. I have a multi sitting on the ground if you want some dimensions.

eldgenb

yes it will fit, will have to put the intercooler in front of the radiator, I have helped with a cummins 6cta and they are pretty much the same dimensions.

mktopside

Banned
I'm thinking the motor would fit but I don't think the innercooler will without grill modifications.
An "Air to water" is always an option if it doesn't fit. Spearco will build you one if one of their off the shelf sizes doesn't fit. You'll just need to tell them pipe size, overall size, how much boost your running, and how much HP youll be making, and they'll do the rest.

Trango

Eldgenb, as the grille on the M35 platform is directly in front of the radiator, how was the grille reworked in the truck you helped with that received the 8.3?

ODdave

Thanks for the input, But in no way do I want any part of a water/air intercooler. Save it for the boats.

Air to air works just fine with much less complication.

ODdave

So was I wrong or has someone done it? It shure seems that I saw a mention of a member that had done the swap but haven't heard anything yet.

Flat Black

first match in google:

DT466
Dimensions L=45.1 in x W=29.3 in x H=40.8 in (1146 mm) x (744 mm) x (1036 mm)

some good info here on fitting it into a Superduty, radiator location, etc.

DT466 in a F350 - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

DT466 Complete Specs:
Engine Type Diesel 4-Cycle
Configuration In-Line 6-Cylinder
Displacement 466 cu in (7.6 liters)
Bore and Stroke 4.59 x 4.68 in (116.5 x 118.9 mm)
Compression Ratio 16.4:1
Aspiration Turbocharged with Wastegate* and Air-to-Air Intercooled
Governed Speed 2600 rpm
Combustion System Direct Injection
Cooling System Capacity (engine only) 13.5 U.S. qt (12.8 liters)
Lubricating System Capacity 30 U.S. qt (28.5 liters)
Total Engine Weight (dry) 1,425 lb (647 kg)
Dimensions L=45.1 in x W=29.3 in x H=40.8 in (1146 mm) x (744 mm) x (1036 mm)

So go measure your engine bay and see if you have enough room for an engine that is FOUR FEET LONG and THREE AND A HALF FEET TALL :D

There is a reason people do swaps with ISB and D'maxes.... a 466 is a big biotch...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks