• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will all diesel trucks run on Alt fuel and which alts

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One thing to remember, the muliti was designed to run on diesel with the ability to run on battle field collected fuel, even straight gas. the life of the engine was SACRAFISED for BATTLE FIELD EXPEDENTCY and NEED. This design was considered necessary for the WAR IN EUROPE where the great military thinkers thought the next war would be fought.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 97 Dodge with the cummins, so far so good on 50/50 mix.
Cool, can you tell us more like 50/50 exactly what? Pump plus bio? Is the bio homemade or store bought? I'd really like to know what works if I'm going to try this in my 1008.

camp9

It's 50% WMO and 50% diesel. I've added some WVO with the WMO a few times to try. I've also gone as high as 70%WMO when it was real hot here a week or so ago. Have over 5000 miles on it so far, saved enough to pay for a IP if it goes out. All the oil if filtered down to 1micron, but I have gone as high as 10micron. I use a 250gallon tank to put the oil in once it's filtered. This if big enough to let anything settle like water or any other sediment. I have a valve on the bottom the tank too, so I can crack it once in a while and drain any moisture out. One other thing I'm going to do is get one of those socks that have the water absorbing compound in it to put on the bottom of the collection tank. This is what I've been doing with my old 97 dodge with the 12 valve engine. Now two of my farm tractors are different. My old 770 Oliver likes 50% WMO or better mix, but my CaseIH JX95 runs good on no higher than 25% WMO mixed with diesel. I have a M1031 with the 6.2 but haven't tried it yet on the mix. Seems there is a very wide opinion as to what and how to run the stuff in a 6.2. From my own experience with diesel's I'd say start with a very low ratio, maybe 5 or 10% WMO that has been fltered down to 1 micron, but that's just what I would do. Last time I offered my 2cents worth I was demoted. :p All I can tell you is what I do and you can take it for what it's worth.

Camp

PUZZLED

I've been running 100% used Transmission fluid (Dexron IV and up) that i flush out of vehicles at the Chevy shop i work at. Been through 500 gallons or so without a problem. I filter it going into the truck w/ a water-block filter surrounded by magnets, and the truck has 3 more filters so I'm sure its fine

spuckett

I've been running 100% used Transmission fluid (Dexron IV and up) that i flush out of vehicles at the Chevy shop i work at. Been through 500 gallons or so without a problem. I filter it going into the truck w/ a water-block filter surrounded by magnets, and the truck has 3 more filters so I'm sure its fine
what type of vehicle and engine are you running the wmo through?

Has anyone tried running a wmo mix through a smaller diesel engine? maybe through an older 70's or 80's Benz diesel? Any thoughts would be helpful

tuckered

Multifuels can run on just about anything oil based. we run 100% waste motor oil. In the winter we thin it with about 5 gal of gas to 45 gal of oil for easier cold starts. The most important thing is filtering the old oil. Otherwise you will clog your fuel filters pretty fast. Trans fluid, hydraulic oil, it all works. You will need to check if the FDC has been bypassed on the IP. The military did this. Its easy to hook back up. Do a search on it and you will get a better explaination. Some very high compression diesels can run on a mix but you can have a lot of issues with their injectors. Good luck with your truck
What does the abbr "FDC" mean? "IP" means injector pump, unless I am mistaken.

Are the m925, m923 series of trucks multifueled vehicles like the older 2.5 ton trucks were designed?

Thanks

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What does the abbr "FDC" mean? "IP" means injector pump, unless I am mistaken.

Are the m925, m923 series of trucks multifueled vehicles like the older 2.5 ton trucks were designed?

Thanks
NO

abh3

'91 Cummins Dodge loves WMO well beyond the 50% blend. The '99 also runs fine with the FASS liftpump but fuel pressure falls off with thicker fuel viscosities that come with higher % WMO and that's scary with Mr. Bosch-crap $#*% VP44 IP!! I've also run pretty high % of ATF and hydraulic fluid in both without any problems. I suspect the '91 would run almost straight waste oil in the summer... It's that VP44 IP that scares me, Dodges crap fuel system design killed the original IP. They say the diaphragm is redesigned to resist cracking w low fuel pressures but I'd rather not try it out.

I filter w 5 and then 1 micron sock filters, takes forever but, hey, I'm a cheapskate and like 'free' fuel!! Beware the tax-man and their fuel checks though...

buzztail

I put two VP44's on my last '99. After that I went to a P-Pump, and was done worrying about IP's. The 96 12V now will eat 100% ATF if I want to. I normally cut it with 10-15% diesel.

Tplane37

No, not really. The methanol, and lye are used to make sodium methoxide, which is a catalyst in the reaction that forms the methyl ester (mono-alkyl methyl ester) that is also known as bio-diesel. There is absolutely no lye, or methanol left behind when the bio-diesel is formed. Methyl ester is a wonderful solvent in its own right!

[I'm not trying to bust your nuts, but saying that methanol and lye are used in making bio-diesel and implying that they are why bio-diesel cleans the system out, is just like saying that iron ore and coke are used in making sulfuric acid and steel, and implying that is why steel rusts...]

I am enclosing a PDF that details the process for anyone that is interested. It is dirt simple and cheap to do.

-Chuck
I was reading through the PDF that was attached to the above quote. My question is going to require an answer from someone with knowledge in chemistry, as well as electrolysis of water ( e.g. "Hydrogen on Demand" ). The PDF is very well written and easy to follow.

I am still not convinced that the HHO/Hydrogen on Demand can sufficiently replace gasoline entirely on a vehicle, but that is not the point of this post. The reason I bring it up is because after splitting the water, these folks are letting the gases flow out of a tube that is submerged in water so the gasses bubble up and then out an exit tube, this serves as a flash suppressant in the event that their engines back fire. They creatively call this portion of their system the "bubbler" (I would use separate chambers for my anode and cathode to actually get hydrogen out of one side and oxygen from the other...don't want them to recombine in the transfer tube to create water vapor).

Now, in reading the quoted PDF, it is saying that the saturation of the fatty acids affects the chemical state characteristics (solid, liquid, and gas...we'll ignore the fourth state of plasma). It states that saturation is achieved by injecting hydrogen into the oils and that the fatty acids will combine with any hydrogen it comes in contact with up to a maximum of 4 hydrogens per molecule of saturated fat. It implies that a fully saturated fat will stay in a liquid state for a better range and to lower temperatures, plus will have an increased shelf life. This is where the two technologies are meeting in my mind.

Would it be prudent to use the filtered veggie oil as a substitute for the water in the bubbler of an HHO System (assuming the HHO System is not being used on a vehicle as an alternative fuel source). My thought is that this will cause all fatty acids in the filtered oil to consistently become fully saturated prior to titration. Thoughts?

Second, is the KOH being utilized for heat (~400° when in contact with liquid water), for saturation of the fatty acids, or both? Or is it simply used to cause the glycerin to separate from the oils? I would likely try utilizing ethanol instead of methanol, simply because I intend on making ethanol at home anyway....I haven't figured out how to effectively make methanol yet.

Another note that the PDF does not mention. Anytime you are working with Lye, keep a couple gallons of white vinegar nearby. If you get any Lye on your skin, flush heavily with the vinegar first, THEN flush heavily with water. Lye reacts violently with water causing more severe burns, the white vinegar neutralizes the reaction. (My other half makes soaps, which also uses KOH). Keep the vinegar out of your eyes and flush externally only... For obvious reasons.

Last edited:

hotbox

I have been making and mixing fuels for many years. Run it in a variety of truck types. See the pics of my latest generation refinery. Your truck will burn anything that makes a BTU. However, some caution should be taken. WVO should be cleaned and free of animal fats. My final filter is 5 microns after heating it and spinning in a centrifuge. WVO WILL clean an old tank and system and plug filters. I always remove the tank and clean it before switching over. Running straight WVO or other thick oils in cold weather is hard on the fuel pump, injection pump etc. I always thin WVO 70/30 with diesel and add additives for increased lubricity. Poor lubricity will kill rotary style injection pumps because they are not lubed by bottom end engine oil. Inline pumps tend to like WVO more because they are lubed from engine oil. I could go on forever on this subject, but I'll stop here.

Vintage iron

Just a update. Yes you can run WMO in just about any diesel engine. I work as a diesel mechanic and have seen customers run it in their engines. Some of the old Macks use to inject crankcase oil into the motor too. From everything I have seen and found. One thing comes up. FILTER, FILTER, FILTER! Also you will need to blend the filtered WMO with another fuel to thin it and add BTUs. WMO has a lower BTU and our military motors are already dogs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks