• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will CUCVs continue to appreciate in value?

ajsmith184

Just curious, I was looking through REALLY old threads (2005) and see responses that "$3300 for one that needs absolutely nothing, and no more than $5k for a fully restored one" Wow! Im seeing fully restored go for $7k plus...after an economic meltdown, much higher fuel prices, etc...

So, do you think this trend will continue?

that1028guy

Probably will. Look at what a Corvette went for brand new back in the day, and what one goes for now days. But, there has to be someone who wants to buy it.

DrJekl

A CUCV is no Corvette and not all Corvettes appreciate the same.

CUCVs will change value based on supply and demand. Then you have the price someone is willing to pay. You can ask a million bucks, but that does not mean it will sell. Kind of like the jug head with the rusted out 1974 GTO with a 350 Chevy. Sure, a 74 GTO is rare but the one you have is a POS with the wrong engine. But he seems to think it is worth eight grand because it is "rare".

A decent old CUCV will hold value pretty well but I would not invest all of my money in one over silver.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cherry CUCVs will appreciate. Your run of the mill truck will not, IMHO. Clean examples of most vehicles increase in value as fewer can be found.

ryan77

These guys that want 8 grand fpr a cucv on ebay are nuts! With the price of diesel over $4.00 a gal well see how they hold value.

wayne pick

These guys that want 8 grand fpr a cucv on ebay are nuts! With the price of diesel over $4.00 a gal well see how they hold value.
Hea ryan, After all the sweat equity, money, smashed knuckles etc, what would your asking price for your truck be? A strait clean M1031 went for $7200 bucks a month or so ago on GL. Those guys on ebay are flippers, they pi$$ bomb some paint on a truck they paid under three grand for and try to sell it to the poor slob that "just has to have it" for stupid money. My truck for example is a completely rust free M1031 that the PO put a lot of work and money into. Banks turbo, 700R4 trans, spin on fuel filter, a brand new flat bed, premium tires, and a decent paint job. When my truck was delivered here, my friend, who has had a body shop for 30yrs was shocked at it's condition, calling it "mint". Oh a few dings in the hood that looked like hail damage. I did have to rebuild the tranny and have added a Fisher snow plow, fan driven trans cooler, external spin on trans filter, Shift Works console mounted floor shifter, bucket seats-free, The doghead mods, and I just fabbed a 4in tube bumper on it Friday. My $6000 truck that you must have seen in the classifieds on our web site back arround September, is now in dollars and cents a $10K+ truck after all the added work and money I put into it. Price a 205 transfer case for that truck if you needed one, big $$. Will I get my investment back if I was to sell it? Absolutely not. I would not take a dime under $8500.00 for it even if I was living in it. I'll probably have this truck till the day I croak. It's not only flea bay with big numbers, I saw some smashed up parts trucks that were missing parts on GL last week that went for just under three grand. Now that's crazy. The pickens are getting slim, it all depends on how much you want one of these trucks. BTW, I get better fuel milage with my 1031 than I do with my S15 Jimmy. Take care, WCP.

DrJekl

You know, I am not sure the price of diesel will change the value much. Most f the folks buying a CUCV buy them to fill a specific need. That could be for a truck you can run off biodiesel, waste oil of some sort, or just a tough old truck you can beat on. I think the value is in the axles (trucks) and the engines. They are simple and work, parts are generally cheap and easy to find.

If you buy a CUCV and the cost of fuel forces a sale, you may have purchased for cool points over utility.

well i have been wandering the same thing about The M1008s they dont seem as popular as the m1009 a friend of mine just sold a nice m1009 with the normal dents and rusted tailgate for $4800 dollars i love the cucvs im lucky to have 2 original m1008s one of which im the 3rd owner im thinkin after Reading that it will pretty much stay stock maybe a lift and new tires but for the most part it will look just like it came from uncle sam love the info guys yall are awesome :]
:grd:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was offered $4,200 more than I paid for a 1028 last week and turned him down The kids face went from :) to :sad: in 30 seconds. I smiled and told the kid to double what he has in his hand and come back in a few years and I might let it go.

I want to know who taught these kids this cash in hand trick, waving like a Chinese fan, thinking it makes any difference..?

steved454

I could not sell mine for any price( yeh right). My daughter would kill me. I pick her and my son up from school most days in it. I am sure when she hits double digits in age her opinion will change but as of right now, selling is not in my future. they both never let me live down selling my jeep and my 3/4 ton 83 chevy 4x4 I had for years. they both once a week or so bad mouth me about selling it.

ryan77

I was offered $4,200 more than I paid for a 1028 last week and turned him down The kids face went from :) to :sad: in 30 seconds. I smiled and told the kid to double what he has in his hand and come back in a few years and I might let it go.

I want to know who taught these kids this cash in hand trick, waving like a Chinese fan, thinking it makes any difference..?

Tell him he can have mine for 6 grand !!!!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned and maintained and wore out many 1980s Chevy pickups. What is the secret sauce that makes the CUCV any better than the rest of the junk that GM turned out during that period? Heavier axles?

Please explain to me with small words, and perhaps in pictures if you think that will help, why I am so ignorant and wrong about this.

The 2001 Yukon I am driving with over 225k miles on it has been the best truck I have ever owned. Next to zero repairs, and all I have done is change the oil. So I am a GM lover, and got over 500k out of my 1975 Chevy 4x4 before it was totaled, but really? I can't imagine why an '80s GM product would go up in value.

Maybe it is the sexy green paint?

southdave

I am with ya ryan.. I have 3 of the things and they are crap design, ie poor reliability ect..
thier intent was never to be a tactical truck, I think the DoD forgot about tHAT,til dersert shield.
IMHO it is civy pick up with crap prowertrain and even worst electrical system and a cool paint job...Case and point look at the number of diesel toyota hilux the US has purchased in last the 10 yrs..
The CUCV is a product of the, inclusive lowest common denomimator @ $30,000 a copy in 1983 dollars. I like to know what army dude , envisioned a 1008 on the russian steps in middle of feb. up axles in snow and ice expecting to fire right up for a mission? I don't NAPA was in the USSR in the 80's .. My endearment for cucv is religated to my ablity to keeping it running and improving. Its worth to me, is somewhere between current scrap prices and what ever the civy version is.. about 2 grand for running truck

Last edited:

stampy

I think you will contine to see prices on all trucks go up as the dollar loses value. This is natural as commodities are a store of value and will go up in cost as the currency is devalued for extreme versions see Weimar Republic Germany and Argentina, or maybe the US in a few years. Gold for example has ballooned in the past few years and is a direct result of inflation and so is gasoline, food prices, scrap prices, etc...

86m1028

I am with ya ryan.. I have 3 of the things and they are crap design, ie poor reliability ect..
thier intent was never to be a tactical truck, I think the DoD forgot about tHAT,til dersert shield.
IMHO it is civy pick up with crap prowertrain and even worst electrical system and a cool paint job...Case and point look at the number of diesel toyota hilux the US has purchased in last the 10 yrs..
The CUCV is a product of the, inclusive lowest common denomimator @ $30,000 a copy in 1983 dollars. I like to know what army dude , envisioned a 1008 on the russian steps in middle of feb. up axles in snow and ice expecting to fire right up for a mission? I don't NAPA was in the USSR in the 80's .. My endearment for cucv is religated to my ablity to keeping it running and improving. Its worth to me, is somewhere between current scrap prices and what ever the civy version is.. about 2 grand for running truck

FYI $30,000 in 83 was for 2 of them.
They sold for around $15-17k NEW.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks