• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will start only with a squirt of starting fluid. Runs great once started.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never seen an ether start system on a stock G742 deuce, maybe aftermarket.

The original cold start system is a manifold heater, using fuel sprayed on an ignitor to make fire and heat the air in the manifold in conjunction with cranking.

Works fine, but not usually needed above freezing.

rustystud

Never seen an ether start system on a stock G742 deuce, maybe aftermarket.

The original cold start system is a manifold heater, using fuel sprayed on an ignitor to make fire and heat the air in the manifold in conjunction with cranking.

Works fine, but not usually needed above freezing.
There are two types of starting aids for the Deuce. One is the fuel ignitor system and the second is an ether injection system. Both are original. I had the ether injection system on mine. I removed it since I never needed it up here in the Pacific Northwest. I boxed it up and stored it away since it had nice military connectors and switches .

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two types of starting aids for the Deuce. One is the fuel ignitor system and the second is an ether injection system. Both are original. I had the ether injection system on mine. I removed it since I never needed it up here in the Pacific Northwest. I boxed it up and stored it away since it had nice military connectors and switches .
I have both. One truck has the ether start and the others all have the manifold fuel igniter system.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I learn something new every day...

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not mean ether from the ether injection system.

I mean starting fluid.

SO - truck will start only with a squirt of starting fluid.
It cranks a few seconds but then fires, idles, and runs great on its own.

It will not start without a tiny (1 second) squirt of starting fluid.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not mean ether from the ether injection system.

I mean starting fluid.

SO - truck will start only with a squirt of starting fluid.
It cranks a few seconds but then fires, idles, and runs great on its own.

It will not start without a tiny (1 second) squirt of starting fluid.
Attached is my fuel rod position.
7-ish O’clock?

Attachments

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would look for a leak that is allowing air into the system when the engine is off.
Maybe - but it will not immediate restart without starting fluid.

Seems a leak that big would squirt fuel out while running too.

It started this nonsense sometime around the time I removed the filters I think.

KN6KXR

So..... once again: does your lift pump work? That's the pump in the tank. You should hear it come on when you switch on the power before starting/cranking. You should be able to flush the primary filter (passenger side, front area of motor) with just the power switched on it should squirt out. If not then STOP and fix that first. After that move to high pressure pump, shutoff, etc....

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Battery cranking as fast as it has always cranked.
Not sure of RPM since tach has never worked. That’s for another thread.

Before sitting, it would fire off in less than a second.

Lift pump Is pumping - 5psi on gauge at secondary filter bleed - attached.

Booster pump is boosting - about 48 psi at idle and 80 psi on rev at secondary filter bleed - attached.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Battery cranking as fast as it has always cranked.
Not sure of RPM since tach has never worked. That’s for another thread.

Before sitting, it would fire off in less than a second.

Lift pump Is pumping - 5psi on gauge at secondary filter bleed - attached.

Booster pump is boosting - about 48 psi at idle and 80 psi on rev at secondary filter bleed - attached.
Lots of folks have suggested you may have a fuel problem. I would almost swear to it myself. There has to be an air leak. Somewhere in the return line.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of folks have suggested you may have a fuel problem. I would almost swear to it myself. There has to be an air leak. Somewhere in the return line.
well yeah- fuel problem for sure. :)

whatcha mean by return line specifically?

ToddJK

If air was in the system, wouldn't it be hard to start even with either? I figured it would run on the either alone for a second and would continue the process until the air is cleared or are the symptoms different on the return line?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just spit balling here so lets start with the gages. They are wrong or you have an over pressure in the system. Most LDT's seem to be running around 30 psi idle and 60 psi high idle. Now that is the specs for minimum performance levels. Now the LDS pump has specs that are higher and over 70 psi. for high idle and idle. Yea it was said if you have some or 4-7 psi fuel pressure at the bleed screw between the fuel filters that everything should be good for pushing fuel through the head back to the tank. While the engine can run with the over pressure valve that is in the T fitting open on the secondary fuel filter wondering if this might be you problem. There are a couple of ways of checking the over pressure valve. If you gage is correct then the over pressure valve would be open well before 80 psi. I am not going to look through the TM for the open pressure of the over pressure valve but mid 70's is what I am thinking.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks