• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will start only with a squirt of starting fluid. Runs great once started.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know that spring under the bolt on the secondary filter that you’re supposed to not lose ?

Where could a replacement be sourced?

Asking for a friend.

ToddJK

You'll probably have to call or email Big Mikes motor pool, TNJ Murray, Erik's military surplus, Eastern Surplus, C&C surplus. Most of them can get you that part, usually parts like that are not normally listed.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled injector and flipped it around.

No fuel spray while cranking.

Once engine fires off from starting fluid, I get a spray like this:

ToddJK

When you crank over with the injectors out, it should pop like this guys. It's really odd to me that they won't pop when you crank but they do when it's running. Makes me wonder if there's that much grime in the system, it needs that high pressure to pop.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you crank over with the injectors out, it should pop like this guys. It's really odd to me that they won't pop when you crank but they do when it's running. Makes me wonder if there's that much grime in the system, it needs that high pressure to pop.

I was thinkin about maybe get a diesel injector pressure tester off of Amazon to see if injector is bad. … but not sure if they come with all the parts to hook up the injector

OR

Buy a new or known good injector and see if it does better.

OR

Is it unlikely that all six injectors got clogged at the same time? Probably not the injectors but something in the pump?

ToddJK

As far as I know, you'll need some additional parts for the tester to work on those injectors, but there are some threads on here where guys explain what parts they used and how they set it up.
What's the longest interval you've let the truck run with the cleaning agents in the tank? I'll find the video and share it here, but there was a guy who had a similar problem with a deuce he bought, but he dumped quite a bit of trans fluid in it and got it to run and start.

ToddJK

If you skip over half way through the first video, lot of the symptoms he has is similar as far as unable to start without some either. The second video is mostly what he does to clean the system and trying to make it run and start better. Hopefully there might be a tid bit in there that may help you with your truck.

rustystud

I am still missing the overpresure spring in the fuel return tee. Do I need it?
YES !!!
Without it you will not be able to build pressure to fire off the engine. (It holds pressure against the injection pump) Once the engine starts it will produce enough pressure to continue to run.
The Injection pumps "plunger" makes the high pressure, but with no fluid to pressurize you're going nowhere fast !

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES !!!
Without it you will not be able to build pressure to fire off the engine. (It holds pressure against the injection pump) Once the engine starts it will produce enough pressure to continue to run.
The Injection pumps "plunger" makes the high pressure, but with no fluid to pressurize you're going nowhere fast !
Where can I get a spring? It’s not THE problem since it was doing same thing before it was lost.

It’s A problem tho. :/

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where can I get a spring? It’s not THE problem since it was doing same thing before it was lost.

It’s A problem tho. :/
OK - found a NOS secondary filter housing for reasonable. and ordered it. Hate to buy lots of extra parts just to ghet a spring - but at least I will know, its not the overpressure valve.

I also picked up a NOS injector to see if it will pop.

Now to wait.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep while working before I had my slab and carport for the trucks I was careful when working with the fuel control assembly little clip / the little spring in the delivery valve and spring in the over pressure valve. Then again I had more than one Deuce parts trucks if I got unlucky. So glad you found the parts even at the cost. Your problem has to be getting close to being found. Problem is there is more than one scenario while dealing with fuel delivery and flow plus air in the system.
Lets start with the over pressure valve it is there only to prevent over pressure of the system. The orifice in the over flow valve on the Head maintains the pressure from the IP booster pump.
Scenario # 1 in tank pump working good over pressure closed in tank keeps flow through the head and clears air in good working system.
#2 no in tank pump flow /pressure but closed over pressure and good working system will start and run.
#3 In tank working, over pressure open the system still has flow and some pressure to the Head as it will still get some flow from the final fuel filter line and back feeding the Head return line as long as there is no air in the system / Head. Problem low performance.
#4 In tank pump working over pressure open but air in Head. The in tank is still pushing fuel into the final fuel filter system and the Head return line so it traps the air in the Head and no start.
So with verry low pressure but enough flow through the pressure chamber in the Head to replace that last cylinder shot of fuel from the "plunger" and no trapped or added air it should start.

Last edited:

davidb56

Yep while working before I had my slab and carport for the trucks I was careful when working with the fuel control assembly little clip / the little spring in the delivery valve and spring in the over pressure valve. Then again I had more than one Deuce parts trucks if I got unlucky. So glad you found the parts even at the cost. Your problem has to be getting close to being found. Problem is there is more than one scenario while dealing with fuel delivery and flow plus air in the system.
Lets start with the over pressure valve it is there "only" to prevent over pressure of the system. The orifice in the over flow valve on the Head maintains the pressure from the IP booster pump.
Scenario # 1 in tank pump working good over pressure closed in tank keeps flow through the head and clears air in good working system.
#2 no in tank pump flow /pressure but closed over pressure and good working system will start and run.
#3 In tank working, over pressure open the system still has flow and some pressure to the Head as it will still get some flow from the final fuel filter line and back feeding the Head return line as long as there is no air in the system / Head. Problem low performance.
#4 In tank pump working over pressure open but air in Head. The in tank is still pushing fuel into the final fuel filter system and the Head return line so it traps the air in the Head and no start.
So with verry low pressure but enough flow through the pressure chamber in the Head to replace that last cylinder shot of fuel from the "plunger" and no trapped or added air it should start.
so you think there may be air getting into the system?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so you think there may be air getting into the system?
The OP brought up air in the system so I just said to look on the suction side of the booster as in lines /filter or rubber hose that is on the copper cross over fuel that attaches to the booster. Obvious would not be on pressure side or after booster with his system making 70 / 80 psi as it would show up as leaking fuel. The my last post I just tried to show how our system works when all is correct. That is in tank pumping with correct pressure and no air leaks from the suction side. I went back and started for his first post and OP said when he bleed the bleeder it went up two inches. Mine would shoot up 5 feet if I let it so just had me wondering if his in tank is up to par also. Easy to check at bleed screw and low range pressure gage or 10 psi gage should be low enough.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks