• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will the M35 Be enough?

Sephirothq

In flat areas a larger size tire wil get you a few more miles per gallon Alos the M939 series has a higher gear transfer case and you can drive it faster then the M809 series trucks based on the gearing.

weld88

So not trying to hi Jack the post but I've been reading this post and I have a bobbed deuce with 14.00 20r on it and I plan on pulling my drag car with it up around April once the car is finished. Right now my truck will cruise at 60 and once I hit a pretty good grade slow to 50 or so. Now my question is my car a trailer weigh at most 6k, would my truck still pull about the same? I would hate to hit a small grade and slow to 35 every time. Anyone else pull 6k regularly?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So not trying to hi Jack the post but I've been reading this post and I have a bobbed deuce with 14.00 20r on it and I plan on pulling my drag car with it up around April once the car is finished. Right now my truck will cruise at 60 and once I hit a pretty good grade slow to 50 or so. Now my question is my car a trailer weigh at most 6k, would my truck still pull about the same? I would hate to hit a small grade and slow to 35 every time. Anyone else pull 6k regularly?
Nope, expect to slow down on grades.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your speed is going to drop like a rock you will be lucky to hit 45 on any grade with 6 k behind you.

Godspilot

Really if you are going to TRY and do this you want a M932A2. Pulling a 40 foot CONEX or a trailer and expecting any kind of power the little multi will leave you unhappy. Putting a plow on a M48 or M275 would be absolutely miserable using it.

(and the 8 MPG for a deuce above is incorrect, I've never gotten under 10 and that's loaded cross country)
Isn't the M932A2 auto trans?

Godspilot

You would not be disappointed with the auto if you get a good truck.
ok....I've driven LOTS of auto trans cars and light trucks (I do alignments for a living) I have driven a few medium trucks (international 4700) with auto transmissions and I hated all of them. The only auto trans I have driven that I might own someday (when I'm too old to shift) would be a DSG. So unless the auto trans in the M932A2 is way different.....I would rather not go auto. I've been driving diesel manuals for the last 100K or so and love them (50k in a D200 dodge with a 5.9, 40k in a V-dub jetta with a 1.9 and 20k in a 81 rabbit with a 1.6)

Jeepsinker

What engine do you Have?
I have the gutless wonder that is the LDT 465-1d. 134 rated horsepower. Seems to me that a lot of people have vastly different power outputs from these trucks. I will tell you that I can count the number of times that I have NEEDED to downshift on a steep hill on one hand and still have fingers left over, and that was when I was towing the other deuce.

Godspilot

I have the gutless wonder that is the LDT 465-1d. 134 rated horsepower. Seems to me that a lot of people have vastly different power outputs from these trucks. I will tell you that I can count the number of times that I have NEEDED to downshift on a steep hill on one hand and still have fingers left over, and that was when I was towing the other deuce.
Got any Idea why so many different results with the LDT? How steep are the hills in Louisiana?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got any Idea why so many different results with the LDT? How steep are the hills in Louisiana?
They aren't steep. Some deuces have their fuel turned up. You really-really don't want a plow on a deuce.:beer:

FYI: Ron drove my drop-side quite a bit and said it was one of the more powerful ones he had driven and I usually have to go into 3rd on hills when I run up to Custer.

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you really need to do is find some members near you and see if they will let you drive a 923 then a older 5 ton and then a deuce .

quickfarms

ok....I've driven LOTS of auto trans cars and light trucks (I do alignments for a living) I have driven a few medium trucks (international 4700) with auto transmissions and I hated all of them. The only auto trans I have driven that I might own someday (when I'm too old to shift) would be a DSG. So unless the auto trans in the M932A2 is way different.....I would rather not go auto. I've been driving diesel manuals for the last 100K or so and love them (50k in a D200 dodge with a 5.9, 40k in a V-dub jetta with a 1.9 and 20k in a 81 rabbit with a 1.6)
If you drive a truck auto trans like you drive a car you will be disappointed.

If you drive a correctly set up truck auto the way they are supposed to be driven it is like night and day. And you can still shift it if you do not like where it shift.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all slow down on a hill. The power to weight ratio is just not there. Consider all the modern turbo diesel pickups are at least 300 HP and weigh in the 8K lbs range more or less. Even pulling a load a load they still have a higher power to weight ratio.

A M35A2 is 134 HP and 13K lbs, a M809 series is 240 HP and 20K lbs empty weight. The M939 series are heavier with no or little increase in HP over the M809 series. You just have to figure it is what it is and accept it. It's not going to go anywhere fast, but you can pull a big load if you need to.

The 5 tons have power steering. The newer M939 series have air brakes and automatic transmission too. The Deuce is neat, but the 5 tons are easier to drive. YMMV.

Good luck.

quickfarms

Towing a 40 foot container, with any tools in it, behind any truck using a M1022 dolly will require a CDL for three reasons. The first reason is that a trailer with a steering axle is a combined vehicle. The second reason is the combined weight of the dolly, container and tool is over 10,000 lbs. And the third reason is because this is part of your business it is commercial.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks