• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Attachment Hardware

Scout

I finally got around to bolting the winch to the front of my M813. The winch was bolted to four pieces of angle which were carriage-bolted to some 2x6's for shipping.

What grade of hardware should I be using for the four (4) bolts on each side that attach the winch to the side-plates? I seem to recall reading that you should NOT use grade-8 hardware for attaching winches. I used the bolts that were in it - the markings on the heads made no sense to me. The heads were thicker than a standard gr5 or gr8 bolt. I cranked them on with a 1/2" impact gun and broke one off.

I used a grade-5 bolt to replace the one I broke. Is grade 5 OK? Were the bolts with the taller heads and odd markings military hardware? Should I replace them (I'm concerned I may have stressed them with the impact gun since I broke one of them off) Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks