• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Attachment Hardware

Scout

I finally got around to bolting the winch to the front of my M813. The winch was bolted to four pieces of angle which were carriage-bolted to some 2x6's for shipping.

What grade of hardware should I be using for the four (4) bolts on each side that attach the winch to the side-plates? I seem to recall reading that you should NOT use grade-8 hardware for attaching winches. I used the bolts that were in it - the markings on the heads made no sense to me. The heads were thicker than a standard gr5 or gr8 bolt. I cranked them on with a 1/2" impact gun and broke one off.

I used a grade-5 bolt to replace the one I broke. Is grade 5 OK? Were the bolts with the taller heads and odd markings military hardware? Should I replace them (I'm concerned I may have stressed them with the impact gun since I broke one of them off) Thanks.