• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Disaster! Three Donkeyss hard at Work!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
emmado22 said:
No need to be scared of it. If you understand how the clutch/winch/winch lever all interact, and have 2 people, you'll be fine.
Ditto. I was intimidated by the horror stories and seeming complexity (at least in comparison to the more common electric winches) but I read and re-read the Operator's manual a hundred times and I watched experienced users in operation and felt far more confident.

I have used mine several times and it is a very effective tool for a variety of instances that no deuce should be without.

Glad you guys are ok.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, this is a great awakener. From now on at the GA and FL rally's, which I attend, there will be a winch demonstration before anyone gets hurt. Just a show and tell of what you can, should, shouldn't and better not do with the deuce winch. Now it's a matter of safety. Glad you guys weren't hurt and that the carnage was minimal. If anyone of good with video, we can do the winch demo on tape and put it here for all to digest.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Kenny, that's a great idea and I will add it to the Ga Rally schedule.

I will see if I can dig up some video editing software...........................

ostrich911

Recovry4x4 said:
OK, this is a great awakener. From now on at the GA and FL rally's, which I attend, there will be a winch demonstration before anyone gets hurt. Just a show and tell of what you can, should, shouldn't and better not do with the deuce winch. Now it's a matter of safety. Glad you guys weren't hurt and that the carnage was minimal. If anyone of good with video, we can do the winch demo on tape and put it here for all to digest.
What a great idea! It would be a great service if we could put up a video section on running certain equipment from those that have experience with it.. :D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bill, Bill, Bill, what a shame. Would you be scared of a gun because you hear a story of someone that didn't know how to use it almost got hurt?

JeepMan

Youse guys brought up an interesting idea for MV shows. Put on a winch operation class/demonstration!!
There's plenty of trucks around w/winches and to show how one operates a winch safely would sure draw a crowd I bet. All someone would need is a winch equipped truck and some kind of dead weight -----

randyscycle

I've used my Deuce winch a number of times safely and sanely and with any PTO winch and manual trans you need to use some common sense.

Being anywhere but in the drivers' seat is foolish in case there is an emergency. ALWAYS, use two people, and both need to know what they are doing and COMMUNICATE at all times.

Using high range to winch is only asking for trouble except in only a few situations.

Engaging or disengaging anything under load is a quick ticket to death's door.

One other thing not mentioned here, but didn't apply in this case is if you are self-recovering, keep your fingers out of the steering wheel. I've had mine violently snap tp one side or the other when winching a stuck truck out of a mess. I hate to think what would have happened to my hands/fingers in there.

Also, keep anyone or anything valuable out of the path of the recovered vehicle and cable.

Rattlehead

JeepMan said:
... All someone would need is a winch equipped truck and some kind of dead weight -----
Like a Toyota or Honda!

Better check your winch shear pin too, make sure its the correct aluminum one and not a bolt or something.

Elwenil

I agree on the demonstration and video ideas. With two or three trucks in an open level area you could put on a great winch demonstration with little safety hazard. You could demonstrate different winch pulls like self recovery and recovery of another vehicle and the proper set up with a block and techniques. On level ground and having the towed vehicle in neutral, there would be little risk of injury to bystanders watching. You could also demonstrate cable safety and maintenance.

Reactions: red

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At Haspin, we were able to put on a few winch demonstrations for the other off roaders and campers there! Stretch and Stan did nice little demos! We should have had all in attendance watch and hold a conversation about it for educational purposes. We did work as a team very well when winching was going on. I liked that! Also when wheeling in tight quarters, we all did great as a group!

sermis

I don't see the top support plate on the winch.

Be glade the cable got bound up and you were not at the end. Next thing would be the hook in the radiator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks