• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Disaster! Three Donkeyss hard at Work!

DanMartin

First, I'm really glad nobody got hurt.

Second, please read the TM...Soldier "A" and Soldier "B" are required for this winch...one watching things and signaling, and one in the cab running direction engage/clutch/throttle.

Third: HAHA! on the youtube video.

Fourth: OD Iron sells the cross bars. You'll probably need both now, as if the cable has dug into the cross-bolt on the bottom, it's probably taken out the rear crossbar (if it was there).

Fifth: Consider also getting the winch operation warning dataplates that go on the missing crossbar you don't (yet) have.

Sixth: Thanks for posting this. It takes a big man to admit fault, and I respect you for that. If this turns into a great how-to video, so much the better...we're all a little better for the experience.

Back to you...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
You all should join the Army Transportation Corps because part of the initial training is a vehicle recovery lesson hands on in the mud. The winch is designed to be operated by the driver and assistant driver as well as getting help from the stuckee.

I am surprized the tailgate did not fold up with the chain or strap wrapped that way.

My biggest mistake in recovery was using my truck to pull out two stuck trucks on the side of the road. I had a very nice 40,000 pound strap and told the guy to stop when he was free but he spun his wheels and drove over my strap making it frayed and unusable.

I hope that the demonstration includes snatch block use and other good recovery techniques like a log chained to the duals one on each side.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I said give it a jerk, I should have said a GENTLE jerk. Didn't look that stuck from the photos. I've had to tug on mine before just from the cable being stuck in between(not under) wraps.

I've probably used the winch 10 times. Most of the time I didn't have soldier B. Always ran it from the cab. Biggest problem is making sure the PTO is in neutral, one time it was in reverse and made a mess before I realized it. I now double check nothing is turning when I get out of the truck, or turn the truck off.

Heres some photo's of why I haven't used the M108's winch. Seems someone wrapped it in a little to far. Was this way when I got it. Darn hook is buried in there!

Dennis

Attachments

scooter01922

Wow guys, glad everyone is ok after that one. Think i'll give someone else a call if i get the deuce stuck :lol: Just kiddin, sure you will get it right next time. You guys are within an hour of at least a few guys on here, the member map looks sparse up in our neck of the woods but believe me they are there. If you are even remotely thinking abut attending the rausch creek rally let me know i'm looking for convoy buddies.

mangus580

For 1 man winch operations... I have heavily considered buying the $100 wal-mart backup camera setup.... Just need to come up with 12v up front to power the camera, and 12v inside to power the screen.

My other thought was a big heavy magnet on a truck mirror... so you could see the winch.

I have to do WAY too much 1 man operation (mostly because I cant trust anyone to guide me ever!)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe cause nobody wants to stand that close to you when you drive!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mangus580 said:
For 1 man winch operations... I have heavily considered buying the $100 wal-mart backup camera setup.... Just need to come up with 12v up front to power the camera, and 12v inside to power the screen.

My other thought was a big heavy magnet on a truck mirror... so you could see the winch.

I have to do WAY too much 1 man operation (mostly because I cant trust anyone to guide me ever!)
And this from a guy that uses winch cable to saw bumopers in half! Sorry Mike, just watched your backyard video.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Recovry4x4 said:
saw bumopers in half!

Hahahahahahahaha, awesome!

But a little weld will fill it!

rofl

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not driven in the back yard when it was that wet!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hahaha! But I wouldn't have! Let's just say I did, I guess I would have tried whatever looked like it might work! One more good reason to have more than one truck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lever on the winch is to disengage the drum so you can pay off cable by hand. All it is is a set of dogs that contacts dogs on the drum. Once you engage the dogs it's not comming out under load. It also wears the dogs out to move the lever under power and will get where it won't stay in at all after a while.

ostrich911

sermis said:
I don't see the top support plate on the winch.

Be glade the cable got bound up and you were not at the end. Next thing would be the hook in the radiator.
We took the top support plate off after the incident to give us more flexibility to move the cable

Jakob

I've only operated my winch twice and that was to undo the nesting job the PO had done. The other time was to drag a large piece of concrete out of the way in my yard. I had the TM in hand while operating it, but I think the "locking band" (?) failed after that last time. The drum won't stay locked in place now when I move the little handle. I have to take a look at that some time. Another problem I had is that I couldn't get the PTO to go into low speed, only high.

mangus580

ostrich911 said:
sermis said:
I don't see the top support plate on the winch.

Be glade the cable got bound up and you were not at the end. Next thing would be the hook in the radiator.
We took the top support plate off after the incident to give us more flexibility to move the cable
you might find you can get the cable out, if you remove the rear plate as well.

I have torn through both of my plates..... Winch jumped itself into gear, and I was well over 1000 feet from the truck when it happened. Let me tell you, its a sickening sound hearing the engine load up, and the grating metal of that cable binding tight. I thought it was coming apart (was on high idle warming up).

Lucky for me, it was hooked to a front clevis, so it kept everything tight away from the radiator.... But the chain tore through those plates like a hot knife through butter!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
All this is saying know your equipment! That is why if you are not licenced on a piece of equipment you can not operate it. I know the winch is a lot different from the electic ones we grew up with on Jeeps. The Army depends on winchs to keep us mobile and these are good winches if you use them properly. I can't wait to get home again and exercise the winch on the M818 but then again I just can't wait to get home again period.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks