• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch drive shaft

tbrenner

Just got my truck and noticed that the winch drive shaft looks like it rubs on the steering gear. Is anyone elses truck like that. Its a '67 m35a2 by the way.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is very unusual. If it really rubs, you have something loose or severely misaligned! Better check before it gets worse!

acetomatoco

If it is a converted truck from Gas to MF, it may have the original winch shaft... there is a second version driveshaft with a skinny neck for that application...which can be used on both gas and MF..

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
acetomatoco said:
If it is a converted truck from Gas to MF, it may have the original winch shaft... there is a second version driveshaft with a skinny neck for that application...which can be used on both gas and MF..
A gas to MF conversion in a '67 A2 ???
The gasser winch shaft will interfere with the Multifuel bell housing but never rub on the steering gear!

acetomatoco

Many conversions from gasser to MF were done in the seventies and the updated data plates were furnished.. The kit included new steering gear and a new LF fender for Injector pump clearance and required a heater mount kit... some NG and AR units kept the fenders for crash repairs. Hence the gasser fenders found on some MF Trucks to this day...There is a TB on loose steering gears and a bolt replacement kit was available with specific torque ratings for the new bolts... seems the original bolts stretched, became loose and elongated the holes allowing the steering gear to move on the frame... ACE

tbrenner

Here is a picture. Its not very good because the flash went out on my camera so I had to use a flash light. The winch shaft is at the top and the stearing gear is in the middle. This picture was taken from directly under the steering if that helps it make sense. I don't see much as far as marks on the shaft so it can't be rubbing too hard. Then again who knows the last time it was used.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, that's really close. Mine has tons of clearance room. Perhaps it is an incorrect or homemade (built by a driveshaft shop) unit?

When the sun comes up, let's see some more pictures.

devilman96

Canon, where did you see power steering?

Like Ace said... that is the old style shaft on a MF conversion... There is another shaft with a thinner neck for this reason.

Mine was set up the same way and did have rub marks on the shaft from tweaking and flexing before I did my steering conversion. There were some older marks on it which were much worse, prolly from a bad u joint at one point or another... and or some dummy leaving the shaft engaged and spinning it at a high RPM.

If everything is tight and your just getting the occasion scraping from frame tweakage don't worry about it... If your dragging hard you might want to hunt down another shaft, check your steering box mounts, u joints, etc... or have that shaft converted.

Also... rebush and reseal that gear box!

ryan

winch

I'm in New Prague if you want to look at my truck sometime. I also have an extra driveshaft for the mulifuel I think. I need one for my 5 ton's winch.

tbrenner

RE: winch

My truck does have power steering but that would affect anything. And that oil is from a motor oil mishap. Thanks for the info, I just didn't think that seem right. I will take care of that one of these days...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, I am having the same issue.

Truck: 1987 AMG USAF M35A2C. Not a gasser rebuilt as a multi, etc.

Winch: Came off my '67 M35A2. I believe the driveshaft is the correct tapered multifuel driveshaft (the driveshaft is tapered to clear the bellhousing, not the steering box, correct?). Winch had no issues whatsoever in the '67.

Moved everything over to '87 this weekend and the driveshaft touches the steering box. It takes all my strength to rotate the driveshaft and you can hear it rubbing the steering box.

No damage to winch, frame brackets are straight, not cracked, etc.

After looking at the system (winch, bumper, extensions, brackets, etc.) I don't see a way to shift the winch over towards the passenger side in order to move the driveshaft away from the steering box.

Short of having a driveshaft shop make me another driveshaft in a slightly smaller diameter, what should I do?

thanks folks!

C

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can we assume that the truck's frame is perfectly straight; that there are no shims for whatever reason between steering box and frame; and that there were no changes made to the steering gear cover (regarding shape) in the later production years...?? Probably YES, for all.

Now before thinking of reducing the shaft's diameter I would check if there is enough material on the housing to eventually grind away 2-3mm, along the interference line, only.
I will do some studying tomorrow, on a junk take-out box I have laying around.

Also, if those are the stamped version winch brackets, they are relatively flexible and could be slightly deformed.
If nothing else I would loosen all the bolts bracket-to-frame and bracket-to-extension on the P.S. Then unscrew the 6 winch bolts on the D.S. and install washers or some pieces of 1/8" flat iron as temporary shims. Then re-tighten winch bolts, D.S. first, then the P.S. bracket bolts and see what it does.

Shifting only 2mm to the right would be sufficient IMO.

G.

spicergear

I'm with G, even a slight tag to the front bumper sticking so far out there could possilby tweak it just enough that it would barely be noticeable to the eye but show up in the driveline. Even loosening a couple of the bolts and having a buddy put a side pull on it and check to see if you've gained any, then retight and recheck.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, this is what I found:

1) Where the cover comes closest to the shaft (hatched area, 1st pic) the wall thickness is 5.5mm. Grinding a shallow groove there, 2mm deep, would not affect structural strength of the steering box, IMHO.

2) Internally there is plenty of clearance between the counter-nuts on the pitman shaft and the covers recess, where I made some chalk marks. The stacked washers (5mm in total) stayed in place when I had put the cover back on (w/o gasket) and turned the gear for full travel. (2nd pic)

So if I needed to gain even more clearance I would simply mount the cover in a milling machine and reduce its original height, removing up to 1/8" at the sealing surface.

Again: By no way this would weaken the steering gear as a whole assembly, or somehow make it less safe to drive! BUT... that is just my humble opinion!
Everyone use his own judgment when working on steering components!

G.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................if you want to bug out to say Ephratah, I have lots of room for you. JT
Thankyou John!
AND that's a very tempting offer; one never knows what the future will bring......
... although after looking at your temps and weather right now I think I might prefer staying here in the warm and sunny South for a little longer; at least a few more weeks!:smile:

Also, despite the geographical distance - aren't we all close enough, thanks to communications and this wonderful Site??

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks