• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch drive shaft

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, here are some better pictures.

I think first I am going to try and shift the winch over. If that doesn't work, it's grinding time.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What if the rear motor mounts were off slightly or weak and leaning to that side. Maybe even a squished out front mount could add to this issue. Just a thought.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What if the rear motor mounts were off slightly or weak and leaning to that side. Maybe even a squished out front mount could add to this issue. Just a thought.
I glanced at them last night and they appeared fine.

It seems as if the steering box is at an angle.
I think it's the angle I shot the picture. Compared it to my other trucks last night and it looked the same.

If you shift the winch will the shaft hit the engine mount?
I don't think so but you will see it soon. :razz: I believe I am going to try and shift the winch over, per Gringeltaube's suggestion, then I will clearance the steering box if that's unsuccessful.

Hooty481

I have had the same problem since i put a winch on my m35a2c. it was from the air force as well. The winch came off a m35a2 unsure on the date and engine but i would say it was multi fuel. I have used mine like it was but not very much. I may try to grind the cover. Unsure as to what i am going to do.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
will shifting the winch just push the frame rails apart?
The idea is that the tolerances in all of the bolt holes give some adjustability. Loosen everything up, shift the winch over, re-tighten. Frame rails stay where they are and hopefully the winch shifts over just enough to clear the box. Doesn't have to be much.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I hope you have more room than I did. It was hard to squeeze my winch into the frame rails when I did mine.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I hope you have more room than I did. It was hard to squeeze my winch into the frame rails when I did mine.
Had to push the rails apart about 1/16" or 1/32" with the hi-lift to get the extensions in. Was right at the ragged edge of fitting. Once the extensions were in, we still had to pull them in the rest of the way with the hi-lift on one side and the come-along on the other side.

See pics.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
AH, I had everything on but the winch. I dropped it into the frame rails with my motor hoist. What a pita. Took a 10lb hammer to "love tap" her into place. Yes wood blocks were used to lighten the blows.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clint: your brackets /frame extensions are of the "welded" version.
To gain clearance you (and others) may consider this other option before touching the steering box.....

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sooo, did it shift?.... how did it turn out....?:?::)

G.
Going to mess with it this week-simply ran out of time last week, but luckily did not need it Saturday.

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I got some time to mess with this today, after I finished parting out one of our parts trucks (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/87435-lot-work.html).

I had pulled the front bumper off to put the tan bumper back on and I figured as long as I was doing this, I'd loosen up all the frame mount bolts and try shifting the winch over.

Attached a chain to winch
Wrapped a chain around a tree
Positioned truck
Hooked up 2 ton chainfall and proceeded to "pull" the winch toward the passenger side.

See pics for more explanation.

Outcome:

Beginning: Driveshaft touching steering box

All bolts loose and winch under tension from chainfall: Clearance was approximately .110"

Winch still under tension but all bolts retightended: Clearance was approximately .065"

Bolts tightended and chainfall removed: Clearance was about .030"

Looks like the winch is pretty much where it wants to be. Not only did I smack both brackets with a BIG hammer to try and move them over while they were under a load, but I had a lot of load on the winch, pulled it to the passenger side. I actually slid the whole truck about an inch towards the tree!

So at this point, I've moved the winch over as far as I can and I am still too close for my comfort. I can get the driveshaft to touch the steering box by grabbing it, due to play in the yoke where the sheer pin goes.

So I will be clearancing the box or building a smaller driveshaft.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks