• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch hook capacity

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
That is interesting, considering that I have never seen 5/8 chain used on the 20Kwinch. It is always 1/2" chain................ The hooks, for 1/2" chain should spread before the chain fails, this is by design to prevent chain failure in pure pull and the resulting flying parts........
According to this theory, the chain/hook hardware should be 3/8 inch (at right in the image below) for the 10,000 lb deuce winch....

I'm aware of the safety factors, SWL, WLL and breaking strength .

Edit: It would be nice to have decals made (Gary Berg?) with the winch capacity as shown in 1st and 2nd image below.

Attachments

Last edited:

rizzo

Thanks.
Found confirming data in TM 5-725 "Rigging".

So, the 10-ton snatch block is pretty much a necessity for the 20,000lb winches.
I just looked at my 818 and it is a 1/2 chain and hook. the chain is an alloy L8 rated at 12k in my Campbell book. hook is rated the same.

these ratings are with a design factor of 4 to 1. WLL would be 16k if it had the 3 to 1 factor.

still not what the winch is rated at ??

rmgill

You know, when John Waller was helping with the Dingo Recovery a few weeks ago, I seem to recall when I was re-stowing his winch hook that his hook and chain on his M818 were a LOT larger than the hook/chain are on my M35.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks