• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch hook capacity

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
That is interesting, considering that I have never seen 5/8 chain used on the 20Kwinch. It is always 1/2" chain................ The hooks, for 1/2" chain should spread before the chain fails, this is by design to prevent chain failure in pure pull and the resulting flying parts........
According to this theory, the chain/hook hardware should be 3/8 inch (at right in the image below) for the 10,000 lb deuce winch....

I'm aware of the safety factors, SWL, WLL and breaking strength .

Edit: It would be nice to have decals made (Gary Berg?) with the winch capacity as shown in 1st and 2nd image below.

Attachments

Last edited:

rizzo

Thanks.
Found confirming data in TM 5-725 "Rigging".

So, the 10-ton snatch block is pretty much a necessity for the 20,000lb winches.
I just looked at my 818 and it is a 1/2 chain and hook. the chain is an alloy L8 rated at 12k in my Campbell book. hook is rated the same.

these ratings are with a design factor of 4 to 1. WLL would be 16k if it had the 3 to 1 factor.

still not what the winch is rated at ??

rmgill

You know, when John Waller was helping with the Dingo Recovery a few weeks ago, I seem to recall when I was re-stowing his winch hook that his hook and chain on his M818 were a LOT larger than the hook/chain are on my M35.