• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch install question/issue

Guruman

Not so new member
Maybe this pic is misleading...
I cut off the three hole flange and welded up a new four hole one to match the frame, being careful to keep the same angle as the old flange.

Now I'm not sure if it is supposed to angle up or down. This pic looks more horizontal to me.

I get mine in place and if I angle it down it looks too low compared to where the line exits the top of the drum. And if I angle it up it seems pretty close to the inside if the tire.

Is this pic just an optical illusion?

Ronmar

Either this guide is to push/pull the cable to a certain position to get it to clear an obstruction, or it is there to keep it from sagging. At any rate, I would try and position it so it keeps the cable as close as possible to its tensioned line of travel.

If it is pushing the cable out of line to clear some obstruction I would make sure the strut is as close to being in the same plane as the cable so the force applied to it is directly back along the strut(pushing/compression) to tge frame and not at an angle to the strut(bending/shear).

Guruman

Not so new member
Either this guide is to push/pull the cable to a certain position to get it to clear an obstruction, or it is there to keep it from sagging. At any rate, I would try and position it so it keeps the cable as close as possible to its tensioned line of travel.

If it is pushing the cable out of line to clear some obstruction I would make sure the strut is as close to being in the same plane as the cable so the force applied to it is directly back along the strut(pushing/compression) to tge frame and not at an angle to the strut(bending/shear).
I think it's to keep the cable from sagging and cutting into the air lines at that rear wheel, which make me think it should run up. Also, the rear fairlead is higher. "Up" it is.

coachgeo

I think it's to keep the cable from sagging and cutting into the air lines at that rear wheel, which make me think it should run up. Also, the rear fairlead is higher. "Up" it is.
yup. finish everything else. Get winch working. Pull a load so cable is tight on something then fit that piece up accordingly and mark well. THen do again but winch pull in opposite direction and repeat... mark well in some different way. then slacken off the winch... pull cable way out of way .. cover it up to keep drilling shards off of it... then drill at some compromise between the two sets of drawn holes and mount. Just a guess though.. I ain't no fabrakater

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So... here's what 500 feet of Dyneema winch line looks like in the box. Once I get the wiring in place, I hope to get this all swapped onto the drum.

Not sure it'll take all 500 feet, but having some extra to splice up some rigging lines is not a bad thing.

View attachment 879530
I see that Inspector Dog is verifying the quality of your new winch rope... :)

Guruman

Not so new member
I see that Inspector Dog is verifying the quality of your new winch rope... :)
That's my bodyguard, Luka, a 4 year old Belgian Malanois trained in executive protection by Dallas K9. She knows about 30 different commands, including separate commands for "grab that guy", "bite that guy" and "kill that guy". She's even been trained to take cover when the shooting starts. She'll do anything I want, as long as I can communicate it to her.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's my bodyguard, Luka, a 4 year old Belgian Malanois trained in executive protection by Dallas K9. She knows about 30 different commands, including separate commands for "grab that guy", "bite that guy" and "kill that guy". She's even been trained to take cover when the shooting starts. She'll do anything I want, as long as I can communicate it to her.
Nothing like a trained dog or pack of them to discourage unwanted aggression. My shepherds (2) ride shotgun in my LMTV and I have no worries about it's safety. The imposing nature of the machine and two unfriendly canines in the cab deter all interest in my experience. The dogs are big babies in reality but they have a ferocious bark that sends unwanted attention down the road.

Guruman

Not so new member
Nothing like a trained dog or pack of them to discourage unwanted aggression. My shepherds (2) ride shotgun in my LMTV and I have no worries about it's safety. The imposing nature of the machine and two unfriendly canines in the cab deter all interest in my experience. The dogs are big babies in reality but they have a ferocious bark that sends unwanted attention down the road.
Kind of off the topic of the thread here, but how do you get your dog into and out of the cab? I'm trying to come up with some kind of ramp that's not too much hassle.

Luka can make it into and out of the cab if I ask her, but I'm afraid that someday she'll make misstep and hurt herself trying. Also, my wife has a standard schnauzer that could not make the jump.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kind of off the topic of the thread here, but how do you get your dog into and out of the cab? I'm trying to come up with some kind of ramp that's not too much hassle.

Luka can make it into and out of the cab if I ask her, but I'm afraid that someday she'll make misstep and hurt herself trying. Also, my wife has a standard schnauzer that could not make the jump.
The little one is a 40 lb Shepherd mix (German and Miniature) and she can jump in with no real issue. Sometimes she misses but she always gets it on the second try. She is 2 years old.

The big guy is about 75 lbs and he is 1/4 Australian shepherd. He initially tried jumping in but failed too many times so he doesn't attempt it anymore. He stands with his paws on the step and I lift his back legs. That's turned out to be the easiest way. He is 5 years old. He's very strong and lean but he just can't quite get up there - too big to jump that high and not big enough to reach at the same time I guess. The little one is absolutely spring loaded - she learned to dance on her hind legs for treats from the other half's 8 lb dust mop.

They can both jump down no problem. If they get too old to get in and out of the cab I suppose they will have to ride in the back of the 1079 till they can't climb the stairs......

Third From Texas

I've probably shown you this before.

I took a standard folding dog ramp (my neighbors actually gave it to me after their dog wouldn't use it) and I added a piece of angle iron to the top edge. Then on the truck I bolted a strip of 1' flat stock shimmed out 1/4" with standoffs. The angle iron slips into the slot and secures the ramp.

When not in use it can fold and stow in the passenger side floor with a bungee cord holding it to the dash/kick panel.

I went this route because I've had GSDs before and anything I can do to protect her hips gets done. I use it for her to disembark as well (although she'd really rather try and jump because she says dad takes too long setting up the ramp, LOL).

20200510_181352 (1).jpg

Untitled.png

330948_PT1._AC_SL1200_V1632319571_.jpg

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
That's a great idea @Third From Texas. and easier than what I had in mind.

I was kind of planning on something that went all the way to the footwell height, which means a very long and heavy ramp.

Going only to the top of the step is much easier to accomplish with a smaller ramp. And I could probably fab up some kind of rack/mount I the space underneath the passenger rear window there somehow.

Nice work, and thanks for the great idea.

Replace that angle iron with some piano hinge and get that folding action just right with an air or electric actuator, and I wouldn't need steps at all.......

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've probably shown you this before.

I took a standard folding dog ramp (my neighbors actually gave it to me after their dog wouldn't use it) and I added a piece of angle iron to the top edge. Then on the truck I bolted a strip of 1' flat stock shimmed out 1/4" with standoffs. The angle iron slips into the slot and secures the ramp.

When not in use it can fold and stow in the passenger side floor with a bungee cord holding it to the dash/power panel.

I went this route because I've had GSDs before and anything I can do to protect her hips gets done. I use it for her to disembark as well (although she'd really rather try and jump because she says dad takes too long setting up the ramp, LOL).

View attachment 879665

View attachment 879666

View attachment 879667
Dam Chester !!!!! Slides now ! Whats next pony rides and clowns STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER !!!!!!! New rule if they want to play on the slide you need to check I.D.

coachgeo

lol.... there is not a question/discussion one can think of that has not been brought up before.

Guruman

Not so new member
Finally got everything in place, all wired and plumbed in, but the winch does not turn.

The PTO light coms on when I flip the switch and I had a couple leaking connections, so I think the PTO is working.

I cannot tell if anything happens when turning on the winch switch ( I tried it in both positions as there's not really an indicator of which way is "on")

When pressing the winch in or out button nothing noticeable happens in either direction.

I suspect either the winch power is not working or the spool valve in the rear has crapped out.

MrMikey4026

Finally got everything in place, all wired and plumbed in, but the winch does not turn.

The PTO light coms on when I flip the switch and I had a couple leaking connections, so I think the PTO is working.

I cannot tell if anything happens when turning on the winch switch ( I tried it in both positions as there's not really an indicator of which way is "on")

When pressing the winch in or out button nothing noticeable happens in either direction.

I suspect either the winch power is not working or the spool valve in the rear has crapped out.
Make sure the PTO ground wire is attached to one of the bolts on the PTO solenoid cover.
It was the only place I could attach the ground that would work. Colt had the same problem when he installed his winch. The entire PTO is metal, so don't ask me why?
You should be able to hear the PTO/pump of it running.
Also check the ground for the valve assembly.

Guruman

Not so new member
Tore back into this today.... Slapped a voltmeter o the output wires under the passenger kick panel..... no voltage when applying the switch. Took the switch panel off to find that I have the winch enable and the winch in/out switches reversed. Either swapped the plugs or go the switches in the wrong holes... not sure which.

Anyway. The drum is turning now.... but it did puke a bit of oil out the inside of the drum (up against the frame. Not sure what that's all about. Hopefully I don't have to take the winch apart.

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
Back at it today. Got the wireless remote wired up.

It wasn't until I got the remote working that I realized my winch will power in, but not out.

Verified I was getting power to the plug under the passenger dash, so either I have a broken wire, or the solenoid din connector, or the solenoid is bad.

Anyone know offhand which din connector these use?

McMaster-Carr lists several styles, and different spacings...

If the DIN connector doesn't make it work, maybe the whole assembly could be replaced.... seems like should be standard hydraulic stuff.... McMaster-Carr lists some of these too, with different ports open and such.... not sure what it would take to just replace the whole shebang.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks