• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch level wind on a deuce?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine had a 209-10 M35 operators manual and I was thumbing through it today. He was talking to me while I was looking at it but I could have sworn I saw a pic of a front winch with a level wind in there. I ment to look at it some more and got distracted and just now thought about it again. I've got a 361-10 and I just looked at it but couldn't find anything about a level wind in it.

Did they ever make a level wind for the deuce and has anybody ever accually seen one?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Doubt it. It would have to be way smaller than the 5ton stuff. I have a parts 5ton winch and wanted to use the rollers off it on my deuce winch. No way jose! Much too big.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder why they would have a pic in a M35 manual of a level wind if it wasn't offered though? Guess I'm going to have to download the 209-10 to see it again. I may can get it by next week (dial-up :sad:).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you feed the winch with the wire rope within about 10 degrees or so of straight on, a level winder shouldn't be needed anyhow. My 5-ton (m656/xm757 series) doesn't have one since it's mounted upside down and none was specifically made for it.
Never seen one for the deuce winch...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
IF thay did it was on the short lived M60 deuce wrecker

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes thay did, it was on the short lived M60 deuce wrecker
Was this not on the rear winch Ron? I have the 1965 version (both) of the 209-10. Guess I'll need to dig them out and have a looksee. BTW, the 1965 version of the 209 manuals are "Must Haves" in my uncertified opinion.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Was this not on the rear winch Ron? I have the 1965 version (both) of the 209-10. Guess I'll need to dig them out and have a looksee. BTW, the 1965 version of the 209 manuals are "Must Haves" in my uncertified opinion.
Kenny, yes on the rear, but was thinking also on the front, but at my age I get confused real easy

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that makes me feel better about not finding the A2 manuals.

page 288 shows a levelwind for the rear winch of a M764

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I double checked. TM-9-2320-209-10 (dated 1965) definitely shows a level wind on the front winch. Page #45, figure #44. So they did in fact make one for the deuce (M44) front winch. The question is, has anybody accually seen one in person.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I double checked. TM-9-2320-209-10 (dated 1965) definitely shows a level wind on the front winch. Page #45, figure #44. So they did in fact make one for the deuce (M44) front winch. The question is, has anybody accually seen one in person.
Just because the TM showed it, does not make it fact, We all know there are mistakes(minor and major) in the TMs. I think there is a statement in the back of every TM that says to report mistakes(with a form or something).

Here's the picture your referring to(bottom).

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry that pic is so small. Anyway, after looking closely at the TM in full size, it is obvious that the picture is a 5 ton truck. Look at the winch mounts(5 ton). Also the engagement lever is on the Drivers side(5 ton).

They made a mistake.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH, Yes I've seen many mistakes in the TMs but this pic is different. That frontend is definitely a M44 series truck and I would assume that figure was derived from a actual photo. Now you can argue that it may have been a prototype but I can't help but believe that there wasn't atleast one of them made.

Edit- After going back and looking closer, DH could be right.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you say M44 and not M39 series?

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
During my time in the Army (1970-71) I drove a Deuce. I never saw a winch on a Deuce with a level wind. For that matter, I never saw a rear-mounted winch on a Deuce either.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I edited that to M39 series...

Either way, it looks like an early gasser or multifuel 5 ton grille to me.(they are flat)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because the TM showed it, does not make it fact, We all know there are mistakes(minor and major) in the TMs. I think there is a statement in the back of every TM that says to report mistakes(with a form or something).

Here's the picture your referring to(bottom).
Flat grill, straight frame extensions. M39 series image for sure.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, just like thefront of Squirt. BUT, there may have been such and animal. THE Jeep manual shows the level wind for the tiny jeep winch.......

Bjorn is correct at 10 degrees the rope will lay properly, but who ever gets a chance to be within 10 degrees when you really need the winch.

Akicita

Hm, I've seen the leverlers on the 5 ton trucks but I never played around with one. I have a Deuce with winch. Since the leveler guides the cable as it is being pulled in, I wonder how far off the center I could run that cable ? With the winch on the Deuce, the TM only gives us 2 degrees.

jesusgatos

m16ty just directed me to this thread, from another I'd found while searching for info on level-winders/tensioners. Wondering how much work it might be to modify and adapt a level-winder/tension from another application. Thing is, I don't really know anything about these. Only seen a few pics online. I'm sure a google search would eventually get me somewhere, but can any of you guys point me in the right direction?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks