• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch level wind on a deuce?

stumps

If you feed the winch with the wire rope within about 10 degrees or so of straight on, a level winder shouldn't be needed anyhow. My 5-ton (m656/xm757 series) doesn't have one since it's mounted upside down and none was specifically made for it.
Never seen one for the deuce winch...
There is another issue, the direction of the twist of the rope. If the rope twists the wrong way for the direction the winch turns, you will never get it to lay smoothly. The TM that discusses rigging tells how to make sure you use the right twist rope on the winch.

-Chuck

jesusgatos

Just trying to weigh-out all my options. Not sure I really NEED a level-wind, but it sure would be nice. Nice enough to be worth all the extra trouble? Mmmm, dunno yet. Thinking about all kinds of things, including the possibility of center-mounting a winch somehow, and in that case I imagine a level-wind/tensioner would be very useful. And then the extra size/weight of a 5-ton winch wouldn't be such a big deal...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I think that sounds better. I don't think its that much of a big deal, kinda makin a mountain out of a mole hill.

deathrowdave

Level - Wind just have not seen any thing to adapt to the winch yet. Warn industrial winches have a simple piece of of spring loaded steel that puts pressure on the cable to wind on spool level.

hi all. i once saw a movable fairlead on an oilfield truck it had a 45 ton pto winch and his fairlead could be moved over eather way till one roller was puting the cable in the center of his winch spool, it slid on sq tubings and pinned in place . it was a pretty massive piece of gear and was about 18 in in front of his winch

jesusgatos

Level - Wind just have not seen any thing to adapt to the winch yet. Warn industrial winches have a simple piece of of spring loaded steel that puts pressure on the cable to wind on spool level.
Thanks. I'll look into that. Sounds like a simple solution, and would be especially effective if I end up figuring out how to center-mount a 2.5-ton winch. You know, just to keep tension more than anything else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks